1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Half-orc assassin?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Auger, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] First of all, I did use the search option but I couldn't find anything truly on topic. :rolleyes: Now, to my question...

I have wanted to play an assassin for a while and thought I would do an elf or hafling, but it occurs to me that a half-orc with a 19 strength would be a great backstabber. Maybe get the SS of Backstabbing +3, with poison, and it could be a real killer.

Also, seems like a lot of opportunity for role playing, if you think more of the hide, mug, and rob type of thief.

Has anyone played this or does anyone have comments for me before I decide?

Thanks

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This will certainly be an advantage when bacstabbing but then you have t think of the other stats you sacrifice......which is 2 int points........now i think about it...go for it!!!!!!!

There should be no problem apart from the fact that your theif will reecieve no natural bonuses to skills but that does not matter as by the end of the game you will have more than enough points anyway.

3. zantetsuken Guest

Half-Orcs make great thieves because what they lack in dexterity, the make up for strength and constitution. They're great for holding out in battles longer than an ordinary thief, and they could do more damage. With the poison weapon... that makes him a really good killer. But why do for short swords? (they do less damage, and being a half-orc, you'd fare better with katanas or long swords)
    I had a half-orc thief (though he was a swashbuckler) and he fared pretty well with Celestial Fury. I just wish they really had made true animations for half-orcs. You look really great in the picture in your inventory, but in the gaming world you look just like an ordinary human.

4. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I can see the logic behind having an assassin with formidable strength but, considering your backstab multiplier hits x5 quite early on and goes up to x7, you will do ridiculous amounts of damage regardless of strength. Second, while the SS of Backstabbing is nice, I did not get it after doing the Mae'Var quest when playing an assassin. This is the one and only time I did not get it. Maybe a fluke, I'm not sure. Lastly, Celestial Fury is also +3 but has a base damage of 1d10 instead of 1d6. Excellent for backstabs.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Johnny x5 and x7? where do you get those multipliers from?

1 - 4 level: x2
    5 - 8 level: x3
    9 - 12 lev: x4
    13+ level : x5

I think the Half-orc is an excellent idea. More strengt is better thac0 and more hits. Con doesnt matter since anything above 16 doesnt add any extra hp.

6. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] You get additional multipliers when going up with an assassin, Nobleman.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I am gonna burn this manual pretty soon. Says nothing. And when it does it misleading. Kindy like reading an insurence policy. :D

8. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Thanks for your comments…seems like most people are pretty positive about it. Celestial Fury seems like a good choice…imagine a backstab of 1d10 +10 times 7!!! That would potentially be 140 points of damage…jeez.

The only problem with using CF is that it is not as easy to picture as a half-orc using a fat, short blade. I’ll have to see which is more important…the RP or the damage.

With regard to Dexterity, the Half Orc doesn’t get a penalty, does he? Just can’t get 19 like others, correct?

Also, does anyone know about half orc romances?

9. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The manual stinks.

The Celestial fury is a curved sword; to be honest, I can see those on ANY orc.

The half-orc gets the full 18 dexterity.

Half-orcs may romance Viconia (at least, they were intended to). I think you have to patch the game to get this, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.