1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hangover Cures

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by the god, Nov 17, 2002.

1. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] bacon butties, or failing that, ready-salted crisps for me! oh, and plenty of water (nice and sensible, what can i say- i'm a scientist!)

also, if anyone has got anything a bit more extreme that they themselves have tried (not something you've heard about) that would be welcomed! did raw eggs with tabasco sauce once (only made me want to vom')...

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Actually, to tell you the truth.

Drink distilled water.

Don't guzzle it. That can screw you up pretty good. Figure, a full cup every 10 mintues, tops. And drink it in gulps. One gulp every 2 minutes. This goes straight into your blood stream like a cotton towel absorbing water. Faster than tap water does.

It dilutes your blood stream like crazy, raising your blood pressure due to the increased volume, causing your kidneys to pump more water out to reduce the volume and your blood pressure. Mind you, this is a continous process; you're not going to have a crisis before the process kicks in unless you drink a full gallon of distilled water bolus. Anyways, more water out of your kidneys means more impurities out, means more electrolytes out.

So you have to eat potassium, sodium, calcium, and a certain amount of vitamins at the same time. Don't eat a bananna; take a tablet.

But drink straight water with no food or tablets for about an hour straight. This will hydrate you left and right and pull out a massive amount of the toxins from your body. You will feel better within 30 minutes, but give it a full hour. Then when you take your sodium and potassium, your body will pull those into your blood stream and cells very rapidly because your reserve is low. You want to stay with the distilled water at this point, so the only osmotic pressure is from the tablets and electrolytes, not minerals and metals (in tap water).

You're not going to die, and it's not going to cause you to have an arrythemia unless something else was screwed up in the first place, which means why were you drinking with a condition.

The average (my god, the average) American eats enough processed food that their sodium levels are sky high, and the distilled water would actually help lower it. It would be healthy to drink nothing but distilled water. But your potassium goes out renal only, which means you've got to increase your potassium intake or you will die. Rather than have people use a little common sense, physicans just tell everyone to never drink distilled. Law of averages.

Darwin awards would be going out like speeding tickets at the Indy 500...

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Water made me sick the last time :shake:

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A big greasy cheeseburger, works everytime! :D

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] How about - don't get totally out of your mind the night before?

Apparently vinegar is good, about a tablespoon when you get up then drink milky tea/coffee.

Another good way are fennel seeds have a couple in the morning with a lot of water. they taste like liquorice

6. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

From where I come from the brine for a 1 litre jar of pickle's are used for a hangover cure.

The reason for this is that it has about a 4% salt soloution, plus has potassium and clacium. what I do, to cure my hangover is to take the brine cut it evenly with water, and drink it in an hour.

If this does not cure your hangover, the taste of the stuff, will make never want to drink agian.

7. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Here are some "cures" that I have heard of:
    o Sauna
    o Warm milk with salt and vinegar...
    o Icecream...BRAINFREEZE!
    o Jogging...
    o Enter the toilet after someone who's had beans for breakfast... (not my idea, alright!)
    o Get a tattoo - not very bright
    o Tomatojuice with sugar...
    o Lots o candy! ugh.
    aso...

Most of these ideas are from my cousin and my aunt disussing, yeah, cures for hangovers.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Believe it or not, but when you have a hangover, drink one or two beers and it will go away. Works for me. :D

9. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I usually don't have a hangover, but when I do, I eat some sugar. A spoon or two Works everytime :D

It helps even more if you eat the sugar before you go to sleep, but some times you just don't get around to do it... ;)

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One (1) Egg
    Pepper
    Hair of the dog that bit'ya.

(Some of you will agree, I'm sure!)

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

water, sugar and salt, mix, drink and go to sleep again!

all ya need :) probably some food if ya hungry, could get salt on that instead of in the drink.

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Gatorade. It works every time! I prefer Lemon-Lime, but I'm sure any flavor would work.

13. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Alcohol dehydrates you. That's why you have to go to the bathroom so much when you drink. A lot of nutrients and vitamins in your system get washed away.

I don't get hangovers much (don't drink much), but when I do, I take lots of aspirin, and drink a big glass of OJ or other juice. Water is good, but juice is a lot better. It replenishes the vitamins in your system.

As for the "hair of the dog", it really does work. I read an article in the newspaper a long time ago that detailed why. All I really remember is something about how alcohol causes your body to produce a certain substance when it (the alcohol) disapates, and one way to avoid this (and cure hangovers), was to have a drink when you wake up.

14. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Eat something which contains salt, fat and sugar (preferably before going to sleep). Oh, and drink lots of water... :)

At least, that's what I do...

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Perhaps someone should get REALLY drunk and test some of these :lol:

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I'll be a volunteer. :D

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Damn Master of nuhn i was gonna say that :D

18. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Pac Man- My grandad had the same idea. He'd get sloshed, run over the dog (not neccesarily his dog but a dog) pass out on his easy chair watching westerns and smoking a cigar, (which would generally burn holes in his crotch before he woke up) wake up a few hours later to work around the farm and have a glass of scotch or brandy to kill the hangover.

Me personally? A wake and bake generally does the trick.

[ November 18, 2002, 05:43: Message edited by: The Irreligious Paladin ]

19. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Moan and groan and try not to throw up black currant schnapps. Here's one...Don't get drunk! Of course, it only takes a beer for me, and I'm gone.

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

By far the best cure is to re-hydrate before you go to bed. A couple of pints of water should help.

Problem is you only seem to think of it afterwards.

Usually I go for drink plenty to re-hydrate, a couple of vitamin/mineral tablets and some food. Depending on how bad you feel take the above with two paracetamol/aspirin or similar and go back to sleep.

Hair of the dog does work, but it's bloody hard to fancy a beer at 9 in the morning when your head is being trampled by elephants!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.