1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardware & Software Upgrades Donation Call

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 12, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Looky here for some details on what this is all about.

The collection, as usual, is for a specific sum total that the planned improvements will cost. Right now, this is as follows:

- Server hard drive upgrade (larger and faster drive with the latest system software) = $75
    - Custom coding services (hired help) to help with the transition of our legacy message boards content to the new message boards system = $60
    - vBulletin (new message boards software) licence + additional year of upgrades = $160 + $30
    ---
    Total: $325

So, again, I'm putting out a call for donations. Money collected here will benefit everyone, as it will directly improve accessibility and performance of SP and our hosted sites, as well as enable us to set up the new message boards software here at SP. So, if you can, please donate for the cause.

Thanks in advance to all who decide to help out!

If you are a member of our message boards, please include you board member name in a message when you donate, so that I know who the donation is from!

Oh, and of course, all the donations over $15 will count as SPS account subscriptions (or extensions).

But wait, there's more! (Though no Ginsu knives.)

Since the 7 year anniversary of SP is next month, I've decided to apply the planned SPS discount a bit early, so all of the donations sent in for this drive will get a 6 month extension!

Yep, even if you donate only for the 3 months SPS subscription, you'll get 6 months added to that, extending your subscription to 9 months for the same amount of money.

So, yes, it really does pay off to help out with donations right now. ;)

Here's the link for more information on SPS accounts: http://www.sorcerers.net/Supporters/index.php

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks to Dalveen, we have the first $15!

3. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Saber has sent in another $15, and Nakia $100! We now have $130.

4. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Adding Alavin's $15 donation, we now have $145.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Adding Sgt Hovgaard's $35 donation, we now have $180!

[ May 13, 2006, 13:56: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

6. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] And adding DarkStrider's generous donation of $100, we now have $280!

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As soon as I can figure out wtf is wrong with my paypal account, I'll chip in.

Edit: I just noticed I've lost my SPS designation. I can't believe how long it's been since I've donated. :o

8. Taluntain

Media:
    I think it's been over a year since you SPS subscription has expired... you were sent a notification about it back then...

I think you don't need a PayPal account any more to just send money... just a credit/debit card.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You don't need an account... I just used a credit card, and it worked.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hey, Splunge, you 'owe' SP a lot. :alien:
    Hurry up and donate. That should easily get Tal what he needs and a little extra for running expenses. :D

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Splunge has made a generous donation the last time if I remember right, it's just been a couple of years since then. No one owes SP anything (least of all the people who have donated to SP already). It is merely my hope with such incentivised donation drives that the regulars who have been visiting for years and have never contributed any content or made any donations to help out will consider helping out now, but we know how things usually turn out...

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry if I was out of line. That's why I put smileys. Splunge is my buddy.

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sorry Tal, nothing from me right now, I may be walking before next payday (in a week and a half) as it is. I'm afraid I'll have to catch the next project.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] No problem, I'm not asking for anything from those who really can't give. :)

Overnight, two more donations have come in. One from Abomination for $35 and one from Shell for $50. This goes even beyond the required sum for the upgrades, so this donation drive is officially over. Thanks a million to all of you who have contributed so quickly.

The excess money will be used to pay for the recurring monthly expenses, and since regular donations have nearly dried up, this is badly needed.

The offer on the extension of SPS accounts for 6 months will remain open for the next couple of weeks, however, so that everyone who's wanted to donate and didn't get around to it yet (or used snail mail, which takes longer) will get the same fair chance at the extension.

The extension (or price lowering) will also come in play again next month, for the 7 year anniversary of SP.

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Okay, you've got my attention. And there's money in it for you if you explain. :grin:

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, you just click the donation button, fill in the details, enter your card info, and submit... and it processes the payment. As far as I know, that is - Saber can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yes, thats right.

The new message board system... will it drastically change what we have now?

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well I decided to become an account holder, so I hope it made some difference.

19. Taluntain

Media:
  20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yup. Didn't need my PayPal account after all; just went through it's one-time credit card area. Worked like a charm.

Oh, and :

/me throws poo at Nakia from behind my bars.

:p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.