1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Have you ever read two books at a time?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Black Raven, Sep 12, 2003.

1. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I saw a kid at school do this once, I thought it's kinda weird because won't you confuse the characters and events somehow?

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In fact, most of the time I am reading two books simultaneously. Just in case I get bored with one, I just switch to the other. :D
    It is not difficult at all, you should try it. And if you start getting confused, it is even more fun trying to make sense out of them. :thumb:

3. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I used to read four or five different books at a time, but that was quite confusing and I read only about 5 pages in a day. Now I'm reading only one book, and that's much easier.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you are asking if we have ever had the two books sitting side by side and reading them both at the exact same time, the answer would be no except for when I have been comparing something in book A to something in book B. However, I wouldn't really count that as reading both at the same time.

If you mean have we ever been in the process of reading more then one book at a given time, (i.e. reading a couple chapters of the one book and then stopping and reading part of the other before returning to the first book again) then the answer is of course I have.

Edit: Corrected spelling error.

[ September 12, 2003, 17:19: Message edited by: JSBB ]

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My normal state of existence is being in the middle of at least two books (more often three). I find that my mood changes and I am not always interested in reading one particular type of book (genre or complexity). Plus, I will always be in the middle of the second to last Wheel of Time book because I am halfway through and loathe it. Nonetheless, every now and again, I force myself to read a couple of pages.

As to the confusion question, how many people watch multiple serial TV shows? How do you keep track of the characters and what's happened? Why is that any different?

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@DMC -
    Hey, I am in the same boat. I received it for Christmas when it first came out and I promptly read the first 150 pages or so and before i put aside for when I have nothing better to read. It hasn't happened yet and my bookmark remains as a permanent legacy of how dull a book it really is.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I always have several books under read and re-read.... often, something in a book sparks the re-read of another book, and so forth and so forth...

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I try not to read more than one book at the same time, but for purely practical reasons... Two or three open books lying around soon start to clutter, and you forget where you put one, or forget to bookmark, etc. 1 book just makes it easier. Not to mention that I don't see much point in reading more than one at the same time. I could, but why should I? I rather finish one off and switch to another genre if I got fed up with the one I was reading.

9. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Well thank you all for your replies. I saw a lot of replies "why should I?", well I'm still in school, and I have a huge The legacy of the drow collector's edition, that I won't bring to school for two reasons: 1.it's too heavy and clumsy to carry around 2.i don't want it to get damaged. And then I have a second, smaller, paperback one to read in class after I finish my assignment, test, etc. So, why not get done with two books in the time i could finish one?

10. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, enjoy your reading then. :book:
    As long as it does not distract you too much at school, that is. :shake:

11. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I do sometimes, but generally it only takes me a day or 2 to finish a book. So most of the time I will just finish it and read a new one.

12. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I never get the opertunity to read more than one book at a time. I'll start a book and finish it in one sitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

most of the time i read 3-4 at one time...i still dont understand why everyone needs bookmarks, i justlook at the page number before i put the book down and pick up where i left off

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Normally, I read one book at a time. Recently though, I had trouble getting through one book and picked up another from my stack that I'd been eyeing for awhile, with the intention of reading just a paragraph or two. Finished that book in a couple of days and went back to the first book, making a little more progress. I know I'll finish it eventually. :D

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I used to read 5 books or so at a time, but now I prefer to just gun my way through one and then read something else. For instance, I have about 10 books I'd like to read right now, so I plowed through 150 pages of my current novel.

16. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I have read about 3 books at a time, here I mean novels and NOT the class books that Im supposed to be pouring over.
    Sometimes Im reading a ebook and I happen to pick a novel. At such times it is very easy to alternate between the two. Also when caught between a long odessy and a nice novelette, it seems just impossible to finish the biggie before turning to the snack.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah, reading 3 at the same time right now.
    Ramses: Son Of Light by Christian Jacq (love it!)
    Prism Pentad Book 2 (just started it, can't recall the actual name) and
    Wizard And Glass - Dark Tower book 4 (for about the 4th time)

Easy to keep track of the different stories and events except for maybe the first few lines each time I switch while I re-adjust.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Up to four.

19. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

When I was in 3rd grade I'd be reading about 7 books at a time (one of the main reasons that I seemed to have read just about everything in 3rd grade)

See, I'd be going through a fantasy series (such as Xanth which was my favorite at the time) and then I might forget to bring it with me to school and since we had D.E.A.R. time (Drop Everything And Read) I'd pick up a babysitter's club book or whatever from my teacher's selection and then we'd go out to recess and I'd take the DEAR book with me and read/finish it outside. And then we'd go off to library class and they MADE you take a book out every lesson so I'd pick up something long because it looked interesting (countless Mark Twain and Shakeseare stories number this list) So then I'd read that on the bus-ride home and by the time I'd get home I'd be too involved in my book to stop so I'd continue reading it until I had to do homework. And of course once I started reading my homework list I'd remember that I had to do a book report so I'd go get that book to read and finish. And then if my Mom was trying to bribe me to come with her somewhere she'd promise that we could stop at the public library and of course I'd had to get a book from there too. . . And then back home I'd read THAT book after dinner and then sometime around 8 at night if my parents wanted me to read my brothers to sleep I'd go pick up one of my "children's" fantasy books (like the Search For Delicious if anyone's ever heard of that book) and since I'd then be in a fantasy mood I'd go pick up my original Xanth/type fantasy book and read that. Hrmmm I also read a lot of 3 Investigators, Nancy Drew, and Agatha Cristie mysteries. Maybe those were the books I picked up from the public library??

In case you're wonderously blind and couldn't tell by now, practically all I ever did in 3rd grade was read. It got weird in English classes later on because whenever we'd pick up a book I'd be like, "Oh I read that in 3rd grade." Though now that I think of it, half of the time I'd already the books we were going to read in the 3rd grade reading class anyways so my teacher would assign me a different book to read on my own so I guess that might add another book as well. . .

As for keeping track of them all, I had amazing memorization abilities when I was little. (I personally think it's because my parents are anti-tv and video games, and most computer games for that matter) Once when I was 4 I recited back every line to the Great Mouse Detective (It's Diseny movie a bit like the Sherlock Holmes stories) to my sister cuz she couldn't sleep and it had only come out on video that night (so we only saw it once ever) And since in 3rd grade I wasn't greatly challenged in school, I found it quite easy to keep place with 7 or 8 different books all at once. And I continued reading tons of books all at once (though in decreasing quantities halfway through 4th grade) up until 6th grade when I was a little bit more challenged in school and I took up writing seriously.

Nowadays I almost never read two books at the same time unless it's for school (in which case the numbers jump drastically) Oh, and like Los Drizzt I almost never use bookmarks because I can just look at the page number and even if I forget what page number it is, I remember what page I left off on and what was going on at the time. I did have a bookmark once because a calligrapher made it for me. Ironically it Also got left in my 8th Wheel of Time book. See, last year around this time I was re-reading them and got a bit stuck *cough bored* halfway through the 8th book. I think that's happened to me several times with WoT though. It's just a touch too drawn out. It was funny when I was in the hospital with it though because I had this gigantic book that I THOUGHT I would finish (I actually have finished it before) and I ended up using it to prop up this lamp... and you could always see the giant fuzzy ball sticking out from the middle of the book where I'd left off. My nurses thought it was hilarious... :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.