1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Held. Does everybody know this?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by countduckula, Feb 10, 2009.

1. countduckula Banned

Media:
    I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, given that it is never mentioned in any of the game manuals. I've noticed that being 'Held' in any of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) means that every opponent's attack against you connects.

Yeah, I know it sounds blatantly obvious and logical, but I repeat that it's not mentioned in the manual. Only years of experience with BG2 and IWD2 led me to the realisation that getting held = getting ass kicked.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Even the critical misses?

3. countduckula Banned

Media:

There isn't even an attack roll! It's an autohit.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hey, quit complaining! In the Gold Box engine, every attack against a held or sleeping opponent was an instant kill.

The Great Snook likes this.
  5. Goldentivne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

And that's the way it should be. If you are facing a heavily armored fighter who just became immobile, are you going to hit at his plate with your dagger, or are you going to drive it into his helms eye slit? Instant kill, :) And if it is your character held... well that is why one of the most needed spells was dispel magic. :)

I loved the gold box games, :cool:

The Great Snook likes this.
  6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I do remember hearing that somewhere before, and being held is definitely one of the worst enchanments to be under. I don't know if Mirror Image, Blur and Blink are also bypassed in this situation though. As for escaping the Hold Person spell, I have both my clerics memorize a casting of Remove Paralysis:) each for this. Enemy clerics cast Hold Person very often, but it rarely affects my party. Level 7 Chromatic Orb holds enemies as well, and its effectiveness is much greater, because it works on the reflex save, so can paralyze those pesky clerics. It's a lifesaving spell in the early to mid game.

7. countduckula Banned

Media:
    It appears that you also auto-hit enemies nauseated by Stinking Cloud.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

to be fair in pnp you can instant kill paralyzed, sleeping, held etc. people by sacrificing your entire round on making one killing blow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.