1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with a first time party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by TheGlow, May 18, 2004.

1. TheGlow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So many options, yet so hard to make up my mind.
    1. I was thinking for my standard tank a dwarf fighter/barb mix.
    2. I have a love of rogues I cant deny, but I know pure is somewhat useless here so I was thinking either Fighter/rogue or maybe Monk/Rogue. Not sure. Race either Human or Tiefling
    3. Pure cleric would be I think a drow priestess, not sure on race yet.
    4. Back up cleric/tank thinking Human Ranger 1/Druid X.
    5. Pure casting figured Drow Wizard.
    6. And diplomacy chatty ness figured an 11bard/Sorc19. How does that seem? and what race recommendations?

Im used to BG2 or in other games being pure Rogue, and then having npcs compliment my party. Usually have 1 wiz/sorc total, and usually only 1 cleric. So Im not usually heavily into magic, yet from what I can tell magic seems critical in IWD2.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The basic make-up of your party seems fine and could easily complete the game. For your Bard / Sorcerer you might want to consider Aasimar because of their Charisma bonus which is useful for both those classes. Outside of that, just go with whatever you think will be fun! It's possible to complete the game with just about any party.

3. TheGlow Gems: 1/31

But how are monks? I hear alot of people say they like them, some hate them. Id really like to try one out with my Rogue perhaps. Hmm. I hear some ok things about rogue/monks but mentioning to not put too much into the Rogue lvls. *shrug*. This is one of the choices thats baffling me more so.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Monks are cool but they are a bit lame at the start of the game. The reason they work well with rogues is that a pure monk may end up with skill points that he has nothing useful to use on so he might as well use them on Rogue skills. Just make sure your Monk is the right alignment to be a Monk of the Old Order so that he can multi-class to Rogue. At higher levels Monks are cool because they run around so fast they can get in and nail enemy spellcasters before they get a chance to get their spells off.

5. TheGlow Gems: 1/31

Negatory on the Monk/Rogue. Did some research. Once you have +1 BAB from Rogue, meaning 2 rogue lvls, it ruins the Monks unarmed BAB # of attacks makes you just fight with fists with power of a monk, but regular # of attacks. no thanx. Fighter/Thief it is, fashioned somewhat like Artemis Entreri.

6. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31

I took a monk to level 15 just to see how he would do. He was the least valuable member of my four-person party, and I was tempted to delete him by Dragon's Eye.

I would include two characters with sorcerer abilities in a party, one pure human sorcerer to get high level spell quickly and one paladin/sorcerer. The sorcerers should learn different offensive and defensive spells to complement each other. FYI, despite this, the character that has contributed the most to my party has been my halfling barbarian/druid. He can handle pretty much anything that comes his way, and could solo easier than the rest of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.