1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

help with insane mode

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Halberd-Blue, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Halberd-Blue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, I bought IWD2 last year after I beat IWD. I don't remember what chapter I got to, but I was in the Underdark for awhile, when I stopped because I found the game too easy, even though I was playing on the mode below insane mode. So now I decided to reinstall the game and play on insane mode, and OMG, this is about 5x harder than the mode before it. It took me about 10 tries and lots of tediousness (mainly running my tank around with goblins following while the rest of the people attack with ranged) to get past the goblin attack on the palisade, and now I got to the shaengarne ford and the orcs are killing my characters with 1 lucky hit and I have nowhere to run (I'm stuck at the beginning part with all the barrels.

Here is my party (its a slightly modified party from one of the powergaming guides)

Shield Dwarf Fighter 1/Barbarian 1
    Human Cleric of Bane 2
    Drow Cleric of Lolth (from some mod I had on my computer) 2
    Human Rogue 1/Conjurer 1
    Human Sorcerer 2

I was able to beat the original IWD on insane mode without too much trouble (not Heart of Fury though), and certainly didn't have trouble during the prologue and them came to a dead stop at the beginning of chapter 1.

So I was wondering if I should use some different tactics, change my party around, or what?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1) The goblin attack on the Palisade is supposed to be one of the most difficult in the game (given your level) so your experience is not unusual.

2) The orcs in Shaengarne can be reasonably tricky first time around but your party should be sufficient to handle them. The key with the barrels is to not smash any of the open and thus keep them out of melee range. Attack the Orc Shamans first otherwise they will keep summoning and buffing. Put all the usual buffs on your weakest chars (i.e. Mirror Image etc) and then open fire with all your ranged weapons and magical attacks. Maybe throw some summons in over the other side of the barrels to keep them occupied.

3. Halberd-Blue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks I will try that in a few minutes.

Oh yeah and I noticed that I don't seem to be getting double xp for playing on insane mode like I did in IWD... is that intentional or a bug? I assume intentional because otherwise it would have been fixed in a patch by now, but just making sure :)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Correct. There is no extra XP for Insane mode in IceWind Dale II. If you feel ripped off by that, you can download an updated XP table (from SP) or just tweak the moncrate.2da table yourself. But it's a bit pointless because you'll just end up more powerful which will defeat the purpose of playing insane mode.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Considering that you get owned so much more often in insane mode, you should get more XP. As such I think that crack is required.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.