1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

High level abilities

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Thunderhammer, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've installed ToB recently and have been able to level-up most of my group. I've had a problem, though, with Aerie and Imoen. After they level-up and I've assigned their new high level abilities the abilities are failing to appear in their special abilities slots. Is this a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any info is welcome.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some of the high level abilities actually show up as high level spells in the spellbook (or spell scroll for a cleric type).

3. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'll check there, but I don't think that's what it is. I'll check there and post a response to either confirm or deny. Thanks.

4. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] i thought only the player gets the high level abitlities for being a bhaal spawn?

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The High level abilities are for everyone, and for clerics and mages they appear in the 7th/9th level spells.

6. Drunken Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

About high level abilities going in the scroll/book instead of special abilities, I know this but I havent played a ToB caped Sorcerer. If he gets his special abilities in the known spell slots does that mean he has extra spells? I think it does as you dont get extra slots in the spell book/scroll and the special abilities will take priority ie. choose SA over previously memorised spells.

7. GavinWheeler Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

From what I've seen, both mages and Sorcerors get to use special abilities as if they were 9th level spells.

So a mage has to choose to memorise a special ability (using one of his 9th-level slots) while a Sorceror uses up one 9th-level slot every time he casts a 10th level spell.

8. Drunken Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah but he/she gets to choose whether they use the special ability or the ninth level while a mage has to sacrifice the 9th from the begining in order to use the SA

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You can erase spells if you want. So giving up the spot is not that big a deal. Besides, the spells are great.

10. DemoGorgon Guest

When i got my first special ability (dragon's breath) i looked all over for it and couldnt find it, then found it in spells list. really annoying, i thought they were ABILITIES

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It really all depends on your character's kit. For example clerics get Summon Deva in their 7th level spells. But take for instance Inquistors, they get the same spell too, but they can't cast priest spells so it goes in their special abilities slot.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited July 27, 2001).]

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Jack Funk:
    Why do you think the mage level 10 spells are "great"?

IMHO the 9th level spells - lower level mind you! - Chain Contingency, Imprisonment, Spell Strike, Spell Trap are all at least as good spells and the incredible Time Stop is better.

Comet and Dragon's Breath are just damage dealing spells. There is Abi Dalzim's at level 8 if I want that.
    Energy Blades is nice but compare it with Melf's Minute Meteors which is a level 3 spell for crying out loud!
    Improved Alacrity is the best one because the effect is unique.
    Summon Planetar looks good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.