1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

His Dark Materials and Wind on Fire

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Z-Layrex, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] I have been reading two, fantasy trilogys that are just wonderful. DArk materials books by Phillkip Pullman and the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson. Anyone else read these books. I seariously recommend them.
    Dark materials- Northern lights, THe subtle knife and the Amber spyglass.

Wind on Fire- THe wind singer, Slaves of the Mastery and Firesong.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yea, I heard His Dark Materials trilogy is really good. It's on my buy-list for the next Amazon shipment. ;)

Those books won him some awards, but I don't remember which.

Haven't heard about the other one yet though.

3. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've read all of the Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. They are very, very good and not just for kids. A definite 'must-read' in my opinion. There is a lot of good character development from story to story.

C-Jakob-- didn't like l'engle's stuff. I believe Northern Lights is a European name for the Golden Compass.

[This message has been edited by TheBlackRose (edited June 11, 2002).]

4. C'Jakob Guest

I really loved His Dark Materials trilogy. Combined great fantasy, a bit of theology, and some of science into a great masterpiece. Too bad I never read the last one though. . .

Z-Layrex, are you sure Northern Lights is one of the trilogy? I thought The Golden Compass was the first one.

If you really liked His Dark Materials, read A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and other fantasy books by Madeline l'Engle. They're very good also.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah for some stupid reason they changed Northern lights to the golden compass for the US books, i wonder why they do that, they did it with Harry Potter too...

6. C'Jakob Guest

They probably changed it from Northern Lights to The Golden Compass because the latter's name fits in with that of The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. They supposedly changed HP and the Philosopher's Stone to HP and the Sorcerer's Stone to make more money off some sorcerer's stone craze in the U.S. Never heard of it myself.

7. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I absolutely loved the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. The first two books were fantastic, I literally couldn't put them down until I'd finished them. Although 'The Amber Spyglass' was good, I don't think it was as good as the other two - there were a few loose ends remaining that needed to be sorted out.

Example: When that Priest guy (his name escapes me) was sent to kill Lyra and follows her and Will into another dimension, there's a bit where he apparently gains control over a group of hostile creatures and will use them to help him... in the next chapter, what's he doing? He's going it solo again without any explaination! I think that, in his haste to write such an (admittedly very good) 'epic', Phillip Pullman forgot to 'tidy up' a few minor details like this...

8. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] the amber spy glass was the worst of the 3 books...the series started to loose its touch with the 2nd then the 3rd book

9. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, I liked the Dark Materials trilogy also -- it is (apart from rereading the Narnia books LOTR aloud for the kids) the only fantasy I have read for years. I liked Iorek Byrnison -- armored bears are completely implausible but such a cool idea, you don't mind. Also the daemons -- very cool.

10. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

His Dark Materials is very good; I love the melding of religion, mythology, and fantasy. What's Wind on Fire though?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.