1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hockey players dying

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My guess would be stereoid repercussions.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Hockey players?! Oh *ice* hockey players.... pfff.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Would steroids even help hockey players? I'm not sure that an extra thirty pounds of muscle is going to help someone skate fast up and down the ice.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All who died were "thugs" designated fighters. Muscle would definitely help them and most likely all hockey players but the fighters in particular.

6. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sport isn't about the competition anymore, just about money!

And there are lots of kinds of 'medicine' to push results. Steroid are but one of them!

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't believe there's any statistical significance here. Just 3 coincidental deaths. Sad, tragic, and a loss, but not indicative of any drug policies or concussion policies that need revision.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think the problem is the title of the topic. They aren't just dying - which could be steroid use. They are freaking killing themselves - that ain't steroid use.

9. joacqin

Media:
    Afaik steroids may cause mental issues and whatnot as one of the side effects. Higher aggression, depression that kind of thing.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    True - I was simply pointing out that prolonged steroid use is associated with many health problems later in life. Many people who use steroids for a long period of time die in their 40s and 50s. However, I would be hesitant to say this is the cause of depression in these athletes. Steroid use was rampant in US pro football in the 80s, and we didn't have players killing themselves. (Many died very young, but they did not end their own lives.)

In fact, given the nature of drug testing in professional sports today (and that is wasn't done for years earlier) suggests to me that if anything fewer athletes are using steroids today than they were 20-30 years ago.

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    The hockey players that died suffered from depression. A lot of people are starting to talk about depressions brought on by concussions. As "tough guys", they take on many concussions while fighting. With all the deaths lately, many former "tough guys", like former Lightning and Senetors André Roy, who say that it's not easy for a role player like that. You feel you aren't really part of team because you don't play most games, often don't practice at the same time as others. You start to feel kind of useless. That might be why depression creeps in.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There have been how many now? Three recently? Here's the thing I don't get. Hockey players have been getting concussions since... well pretty much since they started playing hockey. Hell, they played hockey for decades without wearing helmets! There had to have been a ton of concussions then. And you're definitely right that concussions can bring about depression, but again, since they've been playing hockey for so long, this cannot be a new phenomenon either. So.... why now? That's what has me stumped.

And as for hockey players dying, how about that plane crash - it wiped out the whole team. While I feel terrible about the players and their families, it also leaves me to wonder what that league is going to do - they lost an entire team. What do you do with the games that they were scheduled to play?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Speaking of hockey players dying, did you hear about the Russian plane crash?

Oh, Aldeth mentioned it...

14. Triactus

Media:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what Aldeth was referring to in his last post... :)

I agree that it's a pretty big tragedy. My thoughts are with the player's families. :(

As for the management, the owners said they would reconstruct the team, but I wonder how this will work. Will they do an expansion draft like they would a new team? Will they just be stuck selecting players that no team wanted to sign? For this year though, they'll likely just cancel every game against the Lokomotiv. I guess they'll deduct it from the calendar, but I guess they'll have to retouch the calendar. Some teams probably played more games against the Lokomotiv, so they might end up playing less games in the year than others.

As for concussions, it's also a question of respect. They didn't need helmets in the 70's and older. The players never targeted the heads. They would often shout to the player they were going to check to make sure he knew they were coming. Today, the players are almost trying to kill each other on the ice. There were never as many concussions as now. Some are tying the restrictions and newer penalties with the growing number of head hits.

---------- Added 1 hours, 3 minutes and 41 seconds later... ----------

Just read an article. Alexander Medvedev, the KHL president, is negotiating a deal with the other 18 teams. They would rebuild the team for the present season. Every team would offer up to three players in which the Lokomotiv would choose. 35 undisclosed players avec also offered their services.

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    There's something mildly sickening about how the main concern, one day after the crash, is what the effects will be on the Hockey season.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To the owner who is still alive, it's all about the :money:...

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    No doubt there are millions of dollars involved, but I also think it's a natural reaction. If you aren't a personal friend or a family member of one of the players (and as the owner, he's probably not friends with the players - they are his employees), then I think wondering how it will affect your business is a normal response.

I only remember a couple of the people on the plane from their NHL days, I wasn't fans of any of them, I'm not an owner, and about 10 minutes after my initial reaction of shock and sadness for those affected, I thought to myself, "I wonder what their going to do about the hockey season?"

18. Triactus

Media:
    I tend to agree with Aldeth here. Let's say the president or leader of another country dies, we of course have a thought for the family. But soon after, we'll think "what happens now, who will replace him?".

I liked Pavol Demitra. I always thought he was a decent player (though I remember at an all-star game one year where he did the shot accuracy competition and didn't hit once any of the targets. I remeber laughing my ass off, and as the good sport he was, he was laughing too.) :)

19. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    If the leader of a country dies, that's serious business and it could have a significant impact on a lot of people's lives. Sports are recreation ... the greatest impact anything having to do with them could have is on your recreation. ;)

The idle curiosity of disinterested persons is normal I'm sure and not deserving of derision. What I'm aiming at is those who are close to it - owners, commissioners, whatever. It's that game-must-go-on mentality, the same thing that makes (American) football teams resume play on the rare occasions when a player dies on the field or is critically injured. The only thing hanging in the balance is money. If that's why the game must go on, okay, but I'd rather they not try to bull***t me about where their priorities lie. The decent thing to do would be to call off the frigging game and focus on the dead/mamed guy for a minute or two. The fate of the season doesn't really matter when compared to things like life and death. :heh:

btw, the sole survivor from the crash died. Poor him.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I thought they did call off the games being played that day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.