1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Horrific Sporting Injuries - Not a thread for the fainthearted!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What's the worst injury you've ever witnessed in sport?

The worst footballing injury I've personally seen has to be when Dave Busst got his leg absolutely mangled in a tackle during a match between Coventry and Man Utd. The keeper, Peter Schmeichel had to leave the pitch to throw up and didn't come out again until about an hour later. He needed counselling after, maybe this will show you why...
    Dave Busst - Ouch!

This video doesn't show the injury, but it shows Schmeichels initial reaction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOKCMQpxKo

When Henrik Larsson broke his leg was pretty nasty as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBanEscH7aU

What are the worst that you've seen?

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Clint Malarchuk, an NHL goalie, had his jugular cut by a passing skate blade. He literally had to hold his hand to his neck to avoid bleeding to death. Luckily the medical team was able to help him out.

Damn was that ever a scary sight.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hilarious. The dynamic Gooooogle ad on this page is for Eye Injuries and Kenesio Sports Tape.

And why I am not surprised when I scroll to the top of the page and see who started this thread?

Pretty much anything where someone's lower leg gets bent forward the way it's not supposed to bend is always nasty.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The most grizzly was when LT broke Joe Theisman in half on Monday Night Football. Compound fracture, you could see the bones sticking out. And showed the replay over and over and over.....

THe two NY Jets defender that hit helmet to helmet was pretty bad -- the one just lied there, and never moved. Broken neck -- IIRC on the one year anniversary of the incident he was able to walk on to the field and wave to the fans, but just barely.

And then the NASCAR accident that I've only seen replays of. Bad accident, guy hits the wall and then entire front end of his car is ripped off. He's still alive, you can see him trying to unbuckle his safety harness as the spins around and he's facing the oncoming traffic -- that lasts for about three seconds until another car drive into the passenger compartment at over 150 mph.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I remember seeing the Joe Theisman incident. You didn't need the replay to know he'd been badly hurt.

Joseba's Beloki's crash in Stage 9 of the 2003 TdF was horrific. Talk about the agony of defeat.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've also seen the Joe Thiesman one, not nice.

Hey Harbs, someone's got to keep this forum alive ;) .

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I heard about the Clint Malarchuk injury, but didn't see it.

The Worst I've seen on the news was Steve Moore after the Todd Bertuzzi hit.

The scariest one I saw in a game I actually watched was a freak injury. With seconds left in a penalty to Guy Carboneau and the door to the box open so he could exit immediately, Bryan Marchment found himself off balance and went head first into the openning...

If you count Professional Wrestling for the athletics, I've seen footage of how two different guys broke their necks. The one guy knew he was hurt, but didn't realize his neck was broke until he got to the hospital...

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, yes ... the punch. I almost forgot.

Rudy Tomjanovich blindsided by Kermit Washington. That one hit changed they way basketball was played.

The hit broke nearly every bone in Tomjanovich's face and nearly killed him.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I agree and in recent soccer matches Alan Smith and Djibril Cisse breaking their legs.

And the worst boxing one I've ever seen Michael Watson who is still paralyzed after his fight with Chris Eubank

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Though they didn't show the footage of it, Owen Hart's death at Over the Edge PPV in Kansas City was quite graphic. There was a huge blood stain on the mat after he was carried out to remind the staff what happenned.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.