1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HOTU stat question

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by oddbean, Dec 1, 2006.

1. oddbean

oddbean Fear Me

[​IMG] Hi All,

I have a dwarven fighter and was deciding what stat to put a point in to and noticed a red "1" next to my Dex stat.
    In the first column is 23 and in the second column is a red "1". What does the red one stand for? A penalty? I know the other non red numbers mean how much I have deviated from my begining stat but I am not sure of the red number.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The numbers next to the stat is the bonus associated with the stat. You are wearing armor that is limiting your dex bonus to 1. Probably the +2 Full Plate you get in the inn from the storeroom. Every armor type has a limit to the dex bonus that can be applied to it (look at the tables in the back of the manual).

With a 23 dex (+6 ac bonus) you are going to want to shift that to leather armor as soon as you find a good set.

On a side note: Why did you put so much dex into a dwarven fighter? Typically 13 is as high as you need to go (to get dodge and qualify for dwarven defender) -- all increases in stats should go to strength for the added damage or constitution for the extra hit points.

3. oddbean

oddbean Fear Me

On a side note: Why did you put so much dex into a dwarven fighter? Typically 13 is as high as you need to go (to get dodge and qualify for dwarven defender) -- all increases in stats should go to strength for the added damage or constitution for the extra hit points.

Probably because I don't understand the 3rd edition rules. I still think in the 2nd edition way. I used to ply PnP back in the day so its hard to change.

I believe I have the agility belt +4 on or maybe the bracers of dexterity +3. I also have Full Plate +4 on with a +3 tower sheild to boot.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I still prefer the original AD&D rules (not even 2nd edition). I usually start a new game two or three time before I understand the ins and outs and decide on a character. Thus far I've been toying with:

Dwarven Monk/Dwarven Defender
    Halfling Fighter/Weapon Master (kukri)
    Human Druid/Shifter

There are better bracers and belts for a fighter. You want to maximize your hit points (con bonuses), your strength, get resistances to specific types of attacks and give yourself the best armor possible.

Each type of armor has a base armor class (BAC), a max dexterity bonus (MDB), and magic bonuses. Your +4 Full Plate has: +8 (BAC) +1 (MDB) +4 bonus for a total of +13. Full plate offers the best overall ac -- most armors the BAC and MDB only add up to 7 or 8.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.