1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How about a Different WC for Football?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's an idea let's have an American Football WC. We'll start Peyton Manning as our QB (but I'd settle for Brady), LT and Shaun Alexander would be our starting RBs. WRs will go to Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison (Chad Johnson will be 3rd receiver for passing downs). Our TE will be Antonio Gates.

The Europeans will have to settle for whoever they get from NFL Europe. Oh wait. 90% of the NFL Europe players are Americans that weren't good enough to start in the NFL.

I know it's complete fantasy, and this will never happen as the rest of the world views American football... well... pretty much the way Americans view soccer.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Which is why we will never take American Football seriously as a sport, because it's only played properly in one country.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rest of world likes one sport.
    America 'has' to like others

Say's alot in itself.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Which is made even stranger when one considers that the population of the U.S. consists almost entirely of immigrants from other countries where soccer is the most popular sport.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Almost entirely???

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes. The ones that aren't immigrants are called "Native Americans". Or sometimes "Native American Indians". Perhaps you've heard of them. There's approximately 4.5 million of them living in the U.S. according to the most recent census data.

And that doesn't even include those of African American decent which, for the most part, cannot be considered "immigrants" as their anscestors were brought to the U.S. against their will.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    So you don't think peiople who moved to the US YEARS ago have assimilated and become 'proper Americans'? How long does someone need to live in the US before they are noe longer called immigrants? I'm sure people from most nations can trace the ancestries back to other countries.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Most Americans know their past heritage and ethnicity - you may find this shocking - but it's true. For example, while I consider myself an American, and am thus "assimilated", I also realize that my ethnic background lies primarily in Italy and Czechoslovakia. There's countless people in the U.S. who describe themselves as Irish, or Polish, or Italian, or German, or whatever, and many people who do that have never even been to Ireland, Poland, Italy, or Germany. I'm not saying it makes total sense, but just because you're assimilated doesn't mean that you don't consider your background. There's very few people who if you asked them their ethnicity would reply "American".

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Just because you 'consider your background' doesn't mean that you take interest in things that people from from the 'mother country' take interest in. If you're brought up in the US, then you're going to take interest in the local popular sports. If football had more coverage in the US then it would get more popular.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Every match in the WC is being televised on a major network in the U.S. In fact, you don't even need to have cable to see most of the matches, but everyone with even basic cable gets ESPN, which is also carrying a bunch of matches. Also the Germans are being so nice to even play the matches when we're awake. Most of the matches don't even start until mid afternoon, so that's late morning for us. Still 240 million out of 300 million Americans aren't watching the WC.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    That's because football gets no other coverage in the US. It's like expecting Britain to take interest in the Superbowl when it's televised.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Which country would that be? Surely not the one where they take timeouts between each play, and where the coaches direct the players through a microphone?

Oh, and yes, the true americans are the "indians", that came to America waaaaay before the europeans, africans and asians.

Would you, for example, say that a group of africans living on Greenland for the past 300 years can be called greenlanders? Or a group of mongolians living in Zimbabwe for as long a time, that they can be called zimbabwians? I doubt it.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Just for the record, the Amsterdam Admirals made American Football more popular in the Netherlands than you could possibly imagine. They attract a decent amount of spectators when they play at home (which is the Amsterdam Arena, home of AFC Ajax), and have made 3 Worldbowl appearances so far, last year they won it for the first time. American Football is one of the fastest growing sports overhere.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Which is fine, because American Football is still a good sport and I don't mind watching it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.