1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How 'bout them NY METS???!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Klorox, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

While being the best in the National League, I think that the Detroit Tigers, Chi-Sox, or Red Sox have a better chance... it'll probably be the Mets with one of those in the World Series, though.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Klorox, you're a Mets Fan!!! Marvellous, I thought I was the only one. Unless our pitching staff gets stronger we will struggle post-season, sadly what saber says is probably true. :(

4. Saber

Not sadly for me, I'm a Red Sox fan :D

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And the Yankees certainly can't be discounted in this discussion either. Heck, the Twins are currently leading the wild card rankings, although I certainly don't see them remaining there.

My personal opinion is the Mets are the best team in the NL. The first round of the playoffs they will get the wild card team, unless the wild card team happens to come out of the NL East, as you can't play the team in your own division in the first round. However, even if they don't get the wildcard team, they will then get whoever wins the NL west. The Mets are clearly superior to anyone from either group of contenders. The only team that has any chance of challenging the Mets in the NL are the Cardinals.

The AL is a different animal entirely. I'm going to assume that the Tigers are in the playoffs, given their large lead in the standings. Of the remaining contenders, we have the White Sox, Red Sox and Yankees. (Technically either the Angels or A's will win the AL West, but any of the other contenders in the AL are better than them.) I believe that the Tigers, Red Sox, White Sox and Yankees are all better than any team the NL can put up against them in the series. If any of these teams were in the NL they'd be crushing the opposition. However, given the playoff setup, one of these teams isn't even going to make the playoffs. In fact, as it currently stands, neither the White Sox nor the Red Sox would make the playoffs! I believe that like last year, the World Series will be a formality. The series that will determine the Champs will really be the ALCS.

6. DarkStrider

I totally agree Aldeth, the AL is a much stronger league than the NL, shame really especially as there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause.

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So long as the M&M boys are healthy, I think the Twins will continue to suprize (like last night with Morneau's two run blast, where Mauer was the tying run and Morneau the winning run). Liriano's injury isn't believed to be too serious, he'll likely miss 15 days and we're calling up our best pitching prospect to replace him who we've been hesitant to call up for before this.

The Twins have the Infinite Depths of the Best Farm System in the league, injuries to Hunter, Stewart, Kubel, White, Guerrier, Radke and anyone else I'm forgetting haven't phased them yet this year.

I think the Title will stay in the AL Central this year, guaranteed, I don't think the Twins will be the ones winning it though

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I don't know - I'm inclined to take the over on that one. This late in the season, it is silly to place any player on more than the 15 day DL, because in two weeks you're allowed to expand your rosters with the September call-ups from the minors. As such, because rosters aren't as tight in the stretch run, it wouldn't make sense to put Liriano on a longer DL, because there's going to be plenty of room for him in two weeks time anyway.

Baseball is certainly a game of averages. While I don't want to take away anything from how impressive the Twins recent run was, the fact that they've won 75% of their games in the last month and a half will catch up with them. The law of averages dictate you can't keep up a 0.750 winning percentage for the entire second half of the season. I would be surprised if they could claim the wild card this year.

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I may get flamed for saying this...but nobody has mentioned the Dodgers. I'm certainly no fan of the LAD's, but I've had an opportunity to see portions of some of their recent games and that team has got some sort of chemistry going that's spooky.

True, we're only talking about a 20 game or so stretch but I get a real funny feeling that I'll be seeing them play in October.

Of course, they could crash next week too.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, when the thread started, no one knew the Dodgers were going to win 16 of 17 games. A strong argument can now be made that the Dodgers, not the Cardinals are the second best team in the NL (and without doubt the hottest team in either league ATM). I still place the advantage with the Mets as the best team, mostly because of an easier road in the playoffs. The Dodgers will likely have to play both the Cardinals and then the Mets, whereas the Mets will likely face a wild card team that is barely playing .500 ball.

11. Saber

Well, Sox just lost four straight to the Yankees, so I'm already looking ahead to next season. The Red Sox are out.

12. DarkStrider

And the Mets now have a second front-line pitcher out, while they look over Tom Glavine's shoulder, with Pedro already on the 15 day DL list. Our pitching is looking weaker and weaker.

13. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Does it really matter who Triple A...I mean the National League send to the World Series? There are teams in the AL that won't make the playoffs that could win the NL Championship. The league disparity at this time is rather disturbing.

14. Saber

Yeah, the National League really sucks. I'll bet the Devil Rays (second worst team in the game, and my second favorite) could have an average higher than .500 in the NL.

Sox are gone, I gave up on this season. Hopefully next year Theo Epstein can make some moves and Terry Francona leaves. He can't manage for ****. The only reason the 2004 team won is because it was a great team. My little sister could have done Francona's job just as well. :rolleyes: Get someone who knows how to manage a team (manufacture runs, don't wait for Ortiz to hit a homer!)

15. DarkStrider

Well thankfully Glavine's isn't as bad or career-threatening as first thought, and we picked up Shawne Green, not bad.

Still I'm not expecting the Mets to go all the way and win the Series, our pitching isn't strong enough, amd we don't hit enough runs against AL teams.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, the Mets were the first to clinch their division yesterday. As the season has gone on, I am more and more convinced that the Mets are the class of the NL. We'll see what happens, but really there is no excuse for them not to make it the World Series.

One thing that does surprise me is the Twins. I got to tip my hat to that team. I thought they would fold like a cheap suit going down the stretch, but it isn't going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they win the division outright, but at the very least it seems almost assured at this point that they are going to at least make the playoffs as a wild card team.

17. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well the Red Sox are done... just like the Crisco Kid. I've changed my World Champions from the Tigers to the Yankees. Kills me a little inside to think Steinbrener (sp?) will be getting #27 from his franchise.

Yankees... now we've got Giambi calling A-Rod out. Don't understand why you'd call out the play of someone playing better then you.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Giambi is an enigma as far as I'm concerned. On one hand, he is the only player that has essentially admitted to using steroids. While you'd think that would absolutely kill any and all popularity he ever had, it seems like the baseball world has, at least to some extent, forgiven him. I do not know if it is because he has saved a little face and some shred of dignity by fessing up to it, unlike so many others who flatly deny, refuse to talk about, or say they did not knowingly use steroids. The public certainly doesn't like a cheat. But the public will take a cheat any day over a cheat and a liar.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not much of a baseball fan any more but, growing up on Long Island, I was a Mets fan (so there's some residual loyalty). That being said, they're going to be lucky to win one playoff game with the way they have been playing. Randolph let them loaf too much and they are getting mauled regularly. They better wake up soon or their post season isn't going to last long.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And they just announced today that Pedro's getting shut down for the rest of the season - a torn ligament or something of the like in his calf muscle. A lot of people are now preaching doom and gloom for the Mets, and frankly, I don't get it. Pedro has been hurt and/or ineffective for most of the year. The Mets didn't rely on him to get them where they are, and while it certainly would have been nice to have an experienced arm in the rotation, I don't think his injury is their greatest concern going into the postseason.

The Cardinals, on the other hand, should be put on a suicide watch if they blow this lead. How do you lose an 8.5 game lead when there are only 12 games left to play?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.