1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How can I change the spell progression of a Bard?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by wandererhaha, May 2, 2006.

1. wandererhaha Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I really want to make my bard as a stronger thief/mage, but I suck by the level 6 magic.

How can I change the spell progression of Bard ?
    What program or file should I edit ?

[ May 08, 2006, 01:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

MXSPLBRD.2DA
    Open it up with Notepad and it's just a pretty self-explanatory table.

3. wandererhaha Gems: 1/31

Thanks a lot ^^ !!!
    I have change it !!

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    There are also some third party mods that will do the job for you. Xyraen's miscellany, over at PPG, will open bardic spell progression up to level 9 (around level 33 or 34, if I remember correctly), for example. If you install the PnP tables for Ease of Use, Bards will eventually be able to cast level 8 spells. Over at G3 tweaks has a PnP tables component that extends Bardic progression through level 7. Both the G3 tweaks and the EoU versions claim to be drawn from PnP, so I think that there may be some conflicting tables available for 2e.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Welcome to club, I had similar problems with bardic spell progression.

Do you have ToB? If you do, why do you post here? If you don't, you can not reach that high levels where bardic spell progression of the game is faulty and crippled anyway. :confused:

Do not use Xyraen's misc. mod. Bards casting 9th level magic is blasphemy. Plus they actually get fewer low level spells with that mod.

I checked my online High Level Campaigns book. According to true PnP 2e Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules, highest level bards will ultimately be bale to cast level 8 spells.

Use Ease of Use's tables, they are the correct ones!

Or use Blucher's tables, they are more comfortable. Grab it here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/winelodge/79/hilvl.zip

That little tweak also enhances cleric and mage tables to make them true as PnP. Also as a bonus, mages and clerics get their own scribing/alchemy HLAs. (but this is SoA forum so you don't have HLAs right? I am confused again)

For truly bardic feel, I HIGHLY reccomend you get
    Rogues Rebalancing mod. It is top quality stuff, fixes and adds new kits and HLAs to bards&thieves. :thumb:

Here is the link:

http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger/

6. wandererhaha Gems: 1/31

First thank you all !

Yes I have ToB , but Bard can only cast level 6 spell anywat . May be Bard is a more thief that can set trap and get evasion ... which is a different apporach in Icewind Dale and real DnD rules of level 8 spell...

I really surprise Bard can set trap ...
    also Skald is less useful and Blade is more useful becaue of HLA Enhanced Bard song ... . So strange and the balance disappear ....

This MOD is really usefully and helped . ^^

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll add to what silverstar said and suggest that you not only use Rogue Rebalancing, but also that you use Refinements. I believe you'll be happier with Refinements HLA's. If you are a 2E purist, I'd stay away from the Armor Rebalancing component, but the shapeshifting fix and the HLA revisions are more than worth the download. Both mods are available over at SHS.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Like I suspected, then you should have posted this topic in ToB forums. ;)

Bards are very different from thieves. They never practised traps and all of a sudden they get uber trap HLAs? Nonsense.

Rogues rebalancing HLAs are cool, Mass Charm, Sound burst, Improved Magical Flute, all HLAS reflect bard's unique personality and magical charm and artistic ability. I like them too much!

9. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Umm...this IS the ToB forum, SS.

Edit: Apologies...judging from the dates, it appears that this topic was moved here from a different forum. Seems like someone might have wanted to mention that... :o

[ May 07, 2006, 21:53: Message edited by: Gregor ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.