1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you handle depression?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Foradasthar, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

There's another post concerning depression here. The idea here is to just tell what marks you've learned start to tell you of a possible coming depression. How often does this happen (which time of the year, any specific events that trigger it, etc) and what do you do to help block/bear the pain?

Personally, I haven't had much problems with that lately. But the few times that I have, I've marked it with a conciderable lowering of my self-esteem and trust for a good future. I ditched the habit of talking about things such as this some time back because of the feeling of weakness it instilled in me, and take care of them myself. It seems to be triggered by spring, above all. And then there're those lost things that I didn't wish to lose, relationships, social and otherwise, being a part of that.

The way I handle myself is simply by the logic which I know to be true. An active depression only lasts so long. If I give in to it, it is quite possible that I won't get up again.. at least not that easily. And not within a short amount of time. But for simply either refusing to think about it at all for this time or then just furiously battling against it and refusing to believe any of the rather depressing images that come to mind for a short period of time (couple of days to a week) will at some point push the feeling back, and allow me to relax once more for the next 4 months to a year. Finding something else to do meanwhile also helps, anything to take away time from the self-suicidal pondering.

What's your take in this? My post was rather long, but this isn't in the forum of serious subjects for a reason, as it isn't intended to be taken as one.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Chocolate! :roll:

Seriously, I rarely get actually DEPRESSED but I will occasionally have nights where my mind races about a zillion things and I get terribly anxious. Talking to Velcro always helps - even when he's still asleep, he manages to say something that calms me down. One night he heard the cat purring from where she was snuggled against my hip, and muttered "That cat really loves you." That was enough to remind me of what really mattered, and to drive all those piddling little anxieties out of my head.

3. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am depressed all the time. I usually eat, write, read and am mean to everybody. That's all.

4. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't get depressed a lot. But I know I am when I start thinking of all my frustrations and how lousy life is. I start feeling sorry for myself. Self pity is my signal. To get out of that funk, I think of all the great things in my life and how important I am to the people around me. :D Seriously, you have to be egoistic sometimes. It helps give you self-esteem.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Of course, if you were a wimp and didn't want to deal with it anymore, you could just kill yourself. Sure, it's a crazy and selfish thing to do, but it ends the pain, doesn't it?

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic.

I just deal with it. Slog myself through another day. Ponder about myself existence. Shake my fist at the cosmos and my insignificance. Talk with a friend (usually online). Read something on religion. Pray. Watch TV. Go on SP. Drill the thought outta my head.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Perhaps I shouldn't chime in since I've never been depressed as such. Down, sulky etc sure, but having lived with depression in the form of my ex, I can honestly say that I've never been depressed.

I think it really comes down to being able to deal with the blows that you're dealt. Low self esteem is certainly a problem, lack of self worth, inability to cope etc. Nasty stuff in the wrong circumstances.

How did she cope - well Prozac to be honest.

7. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

This is a fairly familar area for me.

- Don't listen to music of any sort. None at all.

- Don't sit at home. Wander the streets of your town, travel, whatever. Be among people, don't wallow in your own crap.

- Spend as much money as you can on nifty little things you don't need.

- Spend time with friends of your own gender and age, and do lots of fun things.

- Don't do any work whatsoever.

- Talk to your parents. No-one else.

- Watch TV. Preferbly comedies or really good movies. Not lover-dovey Hugh Grant ones though.

That's how I survive.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, I guess there's only one other things to add to Sir Y's post.

If it's people that make you depressed, spend some time alone.

If it's lonelyness that makes you depressed, spend some time with people.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Both make me depressed!! :help:

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Depression is one of the main reasons I have CRPGs. When I feel out of control, I retreat for a few hours into Faerun and after that, I'm good to go.

I also eat, or call up old friends and talk about the good times -- that helps put things into perspective.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Do stuff to put my mind on other things. This includes but is not limited to:

- Playing Games.
    - Hanging out with Friends.
    - Practicing with my sword.
    - Reading.
    - Sleeping.

That's all for now.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I often help people with depression. I listen to people and just generally be there for them. The best thing you can have when you are down is a friend who will listen. And chocolate.

When I am personally depressed I try to keep it to myself. If I share problems with people I feel horribly guilty afterwards. I listen to Savage Garden - Affirmation CD, good for when you are down that one ;) and I draw dragons. there is something about sitting in bed with a wad of paper, a pencilcase of 50 odd colours, a sharp pencil and a rubber that helps to calm me down. When I'm depressed I keep away from the Kitchen, I am liable to hurt myself subconcsiously anyway but when I'm down I'm worse.

Recently posting in random babbling I feel bad about, blah :(

If anyone is depressed btw, PM me. I can be a good listener.

13. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Alcohol and Weed ;) When your always messed up, theres no time for depression :grin:

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    After a while, you learn to cope with it because you can't get rid of it.
    Needless to say, drugs didn't help me. About the only saving grace is that me depresssion isn't manic, so my behavior does not go erratic.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh, yes, I probably shouldn't say it, but sex is a fabulous stress buster -- it's hard to feel bad about yourself after . . . . well, you get the idea.

16. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Not unless you're stressed about that. Performance anxiety, frigidity and other conditions...yikes! ;)

[ February 21, 2003, 09:18: Message edited by: Charlie ]

17. Istari of Thay Banned

:yot:

You have a sword!? :eek:

Oh, oh, I want a sword... I want one...

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    When I get depressed, I go in my room, turn on my favorite Rage Against The Machine song, and sharpen one of my three fuctional swords.

If I'm really depressed or pissed off, I will sometimes attack my 8 inch thick roll of cardboard with whatever sword I just sharpened. This roll is an indicator to my family on whether or not to leave me alone. I haven't been able to cut straight through it with one swipe though, so I guess that's a good thing. :rolling:

19. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What irony. A day after I start this thread, I get to know that I'm to be relocated in another office building in Helsinki. Sigh...

I hate that. I clearly prefer few people that I know well to many that I don't know at all, and many is exactly what I'll have in the new office I'm being transferred to. Darn annoying. Just when you get used to your job, the people in the job and all. Not only that, but starting from next week I'll have to be working in work and home from 07:00 to max 21:00 (7am to 9pm) for the first 3 weeks in a row, so it'll be hell. And it had to happen now when I just got my other things fixed. Most of all I hate the fact that I just lose a bunch of good people from my social circle.

Well that's life for you alright. At least I know it'll cause a real attitude problem with me, so I'll get the angry and powerful inspiration for my studies I think. EVEN for the damn lack of time that I'll now suffer, and hobbies that I'll need to ditch... sigh. Oh well, not like I haven't survived to tell the tale before.

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Is THAT what the kids are calling it these days? :eek: I've got to keep up! :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.