1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you utilise the fighter/mage to its fullest?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mongerman, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As per topic. By fullest, I meant like weimer's soulaufein, which decimated so many parties before his tactics were cracked. Detailed info on how many contingencies to memorise, what to put into contingencies etc etc are appreciated!

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

F/M is a powerhorse, if you do lots of buffing.

Stoneskin+Mirror Image+PfMW makes you invulnerable for some time. Improved Haste is very powerful, use it with dual-wielding and you will have so many attacks that GWW is obsolete, so why don't you use more nasty things like Critical Strike?

Use Vampiric Touch to gain health when meleeing, and also do some serious damage to enemies.

Mislead offers new opportunites for a F/M/T. Mislead, improved haste, dual-wield, sneak to back of the unsuspecting victim, activate Critical Strike and start hacking: You will do x10 dmg per hit, and will have something like 7-8 attacks/round:nasty!

Memorise triggers and sequencers:Mirror Image+Stoneskin+Blur is nice when you need a quick defense, and Tenser's Trans+Improved Haste+PfMW when wounded renews you and makes you a much better warrior who is also invulnerable for 4 rounds .

Your simmy also can use your HLAs, so send him for GWWs, Greater Death blows and the like. Greater Death Blow is my favourite, it kills annoying critters instantly:No more Mind Flayers, Ulitharids, Gauths, Beholders, Elder Orbs etc. they all die in a single hit. Use arrow of detonation for area of effect:killing a bunch of improved mind flayers (gasp) in a tight room with a single shot is quite a feat indeed. :shake:

Whack the mage with your SoM to dispel his protections, switch to your favourite real weapon, activate GWW, and watch the mageling die as he is cut in to ribbons! :evil:

PfMW is invaluable for F/Ms. With enough of these they can survive any tough melee-fight. Improved haste is powerful. Mirror Image is neat as it also protects against energy blasts which can otherwise hurt you. Stoneskin should always be casted on yourself, you must forget the real colors of your outfit if you plan to be a succesful F/M.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Improved Haste, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Protection from Magic Weapons, Timestop...its all your Fighter/Mage needs...

Just cast all of these on him, and go berserk...not even Improved Irenicus can stand up to you then. That is how I beat Ascension as well...Timestop rocks. A lot of baddies are immune to it, but who cares?? You take all the minions out of the fight effectively, and with stuff like Fallen Solars and what not wailing away at you...its definitely worth it.

4. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Thnaks guys, but a multi class f/m takes AGES to get timestop

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Not if you solo! :)

6. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Solo is boring =(. Those party interactions, esp with minsc are a hoot!

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...when you've played the game 50+ times and can speak along with the characters because you've MEMORISED their dialogs (not because you are nerd...just because you've played the game that many times :p ) Its the versatility and extreme strategic gameplay of BG2 that really pulls you in you know.

Besides, soloing gives you bragging rights! Especially if you beat it on Insane with Improved Irenicus and Ascension and other mods like that... :D

Besides, you don't have to solo. For instance, as you can see from my other thread, my party was PC, Aerie and Imoen...now in ToB I am picking up Sarevok just for the Death Bringer Assaults and the evil smile that brings to my face! :D Its flexible, and three characters get you XP twice as fast as a traditional 6 man party.

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

I'm playing with IA, and while f/m is good, I'm starting a new game with swashie15/mage. Detect illusion is priceless, esp at low levels when you dont have chain contingencies yet.

9. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Soloing the game when you are playing the game with Improved Anvil mod is not a good choice. A solo character has no chance to survive IA's enhanced battles (unless you add cheating to your character's skills as well :) ). Hence, Mongerman is right to say that a multi-class F/M cannot count on casting 9th level spells.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you're worried about it taking "ages" for higer level spells, dual class (berserker is my favorite). Personally, I prefer multiclassing though, Gnome Fighter/Illusionists specifically.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Heh, 19 intelligence is neat I suppose... Or did you get 20+?

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

19 INT is a neat bonus but nothing spectacular. What makes gnomes so special is their massive saving throw bonuses (+5 bonus to save vs spells&wands if you have 18 CON which you should!)

That is very very useful for any F/M!

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Hmm, interesting... I never liked necromancy spells too much anyway. Still, I'm having this 3.x edition conception that gnomes shouldn't be that tough... so a gnome with 16+ strength looks like a freak of nature to me.

Then again, a gnome the son/daughter of the god of murder IS a freak of nature - and reason. Bhaal must have had some weird taste, I must say :D

14. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Have you played TOB? A gnome is nothing compared to other creatures bhaal impregnated...

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I did... and while there were weirder beasts (the guys in the Marching mountains were quite something) daddy Bhaal caused to wander around the world, a gnome is still... I played the game with an elven Fighter/Mage (only time I actually finished both SoA and ToB), and by the end he had no problems tackling whatever you threw at him. Incidentally, the only time I tried what I wanted to see - greater haste and BBoD - the target died too quickly. Shame :D

I mean come on, a gnome. At least psychotic halflings have something like... I don't know, style?

Accidentally, is there some mod or something that brings Monty in for the second part of the game? Unlike the first part, BG II has a serious shortage of fighter-thieves.

16. Klorox

Elves are pansies. Gnomes and Dwarves rock!

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I wonder how Abazigal's mum and Yagashura's mum got along...

Hmm...CATFIGHT!!! :cool:

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Perhaps, but when was the last time you saw a dwarven F/M?

The F/M part does all the rocking so the elf can do what he wishes.

Even if that includes being a pansie.

19. Klorox

Gnome vs. Elf:

Gnome:
    +1 INT
    +5 Saves vs. spells
    +9 HP
    +1 spell/level (no necromancy)

Elf:
    +1 DEX (but there's no difference in AC between an 18 and 19)
    +1 to hit with Swords and Bows

I'll take a Gnome any day of the week.

20. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You have your short guys, I'm all in for taller races. Call me a racist, if you will :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.