1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How I got here

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Elios, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

It was a dark and stormy night, on September 17, 2002. The room was dark except for the small end table lamp and the glow from my computer screen. Thunder clashed outside as swords clashed inside. Blood and body parts were being slung left and right.
    A voice cried out in the night, "Dave, can you please turn down the volume? I have to get up early for work!"
    It was my wife, was it really that loud?
    I was in the middle of another battle with Flaming Fist. Hey, how was I suppose to know pickpocketing would get you into that much trouble?
    The Flaming Fist Wizard was slowly picking off my party members one by one. First Khalid went down. Well I never liked him either. Then the rest one by one. Poor, sweet, innocent Imoen, her lifeless body lay in the street. I raised my sword and charged the wizards and soldiers.
    "My party will be avenged!" I yelled.
    Suddenly they all attacked at once. There would be no vengence that night.
    As I lay in the street, my life fading away, I looked up at the soldier standing above me, my blood on his sword, I thought to myself, "Man, I need to find some trainers and cheat codes so i can beat these guys."
    So began my quest. I searched on google. I asked Jeeves. Yahoo, dogpile, metacrawler. Yeah, there were ok sites. Some had a measly trainer here and there. Some had some of the cheat codes. But it was not enough. I needed more! I craved walkthroughs, tips and tricks!
    My journey lead me here, to Sorcerer's Place.
    I was in CRPG heaven! As I went from webpage to webpage, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I downloaded trainers, patches, hint sheets, extra characters. I was like a madman! I couldn't stop. I downloaded stuff for the games I didn't even own yet!
    But it still wasn't enough. I needed more. I then saw the light. Message boards! The meca. The Holy Grail! I could communicate with others who played these games! They had a chatroom!
    And so began my epic journey in Sorcerer's Place!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That was the vision I had for SP when I started it back in '99. It's good to hear it came true. ;)

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Heh, when I first found SP I avoided it by all means possible but whenever I searched for BG it kept coming up. It just looked too big a site to be bothered with ;) :p

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Hmmm - I think that I first tripped over SP before BG2 came out - i believe there were some "interviews" with some of the BG characters about the second game. The one that really grabbed me, as I remember, was Minsc's interview. After that, I have been a regular to the site ever since (even though I only discovered the forum in the last year).

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] I first found this site when a friend downloaded a patch here. I had a look and went through the Fantasy fiction bit before discovering these forums, since then I've had a great time!

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How I got here??

I opened Mozilla and surfed to SP, what a sily question :rolleyes:

I´ve found my way into SP when I searched for a romance FAQ, I stumbled on the one made by slappy and extremist.. and an enclosed legal notice :rolleyes:

[ February 05, 2003, 16:25: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Searched for a Planescape:Torment site on Google and got to Gamejag. There was a link to Top10 PST sites there. One day I simply checked (just out of curiosity, mind me!) what the first one on the list looks like... Did this: :jawdrop:
    And that made me leave Gamejag... :( ;)

[ February 05, 2003, 16:46: Message edited by: Extremist ]

8. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I found SP when I was looking for a list of all items in BG2 (I had played through it several times already and wanted to play around a little).

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I played BG2. I had a Intro-week of my study Fysiotherapy where I met Faragon. Started to talk about roleplaying. Gathered some info about websites concerning CRPG. Seemed to be only one real site you shouldn't miss. I tried. I found out I couldn't leave. I was doomed to hount this heaven for always. Poor me. ;)

10. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

I was a BG maniac looking for some good patches and editor for my newest game, BG2. An just like Elios: Yahoo had a weird site called 'sorcerers.net' Skipped it. AskJeeves.com: 'sorcerers.net' Skipped it. Over and over, and every time, near the top of the list, 'sorcerers.net' I couldn't stand seeing it over and over again, so I figured I'd give it a try. The rest of the story is just like Elios'.

BTW, where are the character "interviews?"

[ February 05, 2003, 19:57: Message edited by: Tarol'azh, a.k.a.Tobias ]

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My friend had downloaded loads of stuff from TeamBG and Shadowkeeper. Which he got from here. I wanted to know what it was, because he said it made the game (BG2) better. (how wrong and foolish he was. He put all stats to 25 and max levelled and items/spells) I found this site with it on and was intrigued, at home I went on again and looked on the forums - wondering what the hell they were, I was looking through and my hand moved over and signed up... clever hand :)

12. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Similar to Extremist, I got here because it was listed on a Top Ten Planescape: Torment list. Unlike him, however, I can't even remember what the site was that sent me here. ;)

(Seriously...the Forge? Armory? Something like that, I think)

13. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm not really sure. I think I typed 'Torment and BG2 chatrooms' into Yahoo...

14. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think it was when I searched for BG2:SoA help...
    Yah, then I saw this place had a chatroom. heheh.
    It took quite a long while before I started to use the boards, but I am happy I did. Always go here, as soon as I have the time.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't remember too clearly, but I think I was looking for tips on the Sorcerer class in BG2 and this site came up (naturally, what other search keyword could I have used?).

I bookmarked it immediately, and every time I wanted some opinions, I'd search the message boards, spending hours and hours nonstop just reading the archives.

A few days after doing this, I finally decided to register.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Was dealing with a BGII:SOA issue related to killing Kangaxx (tried doing it with low level characters without +4 weapons using my same old protection from undead strategy -- oops). I bookmarked about three or four sites that had info on the topic (this one, GameBanshee, Ironworks and one other), went through them and found that this was the best. I only discovered the forums later. Now, they are more fun than the rest of the site.

17. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I was wrapped in the throes of BGII. I believe that I decided to download the patch, and, amid my search for a good site, I stumbled upon... Sorcerer's Place. Lights blared, horns sounded, a chorus of angels descended upon my computer....

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I found SP wheile I was looking for another good walkthrough site after the jerks at Game Banshee decided to start charging for their service. :rolling:

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I guess I'm the only one who was looking for books. I just started in the Forgotten Realms and was searching for some more. And that's how I got here. Imagine my surprise when it was more then books alone, it featured all my favourite games :eek: .

20. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To be honest, I originally signed up just to ask one question about IWD2, and never be heard from again. But, since nobody answered my question, and I saw some questions I could answer, I stayed.

[ February 06, 2003, 13:27: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.