1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How is spell Difficulty Class actually counted? Some bugs?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Eldariel, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Eldariel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, so I know that in normal D&D, the save DC for any given spell is: Spell Level+Casting Ability Modifier+10. Every Spell Focus adds +2. Now, this does not seem to carry over to the game perfectly. We had a Cleric with Wis 30 cast Destruction and hit an opponent.

The opponent rolled 17 for his save and succeeded?! Now, quick calculation shows that the DC of Destruction should be 7+10+10 or 27. This raised the question "WTF?" We replicated this a few times and Destruction just didn't work out. It also seems like some other spells occasionally flip out - I had a Druid/Monk save vs. Disintegrate from Int 24 Wizard with Greater Spell Focus: Transmutation rolling 20, which seemed just plain wrong. Is there a known bug in this regard or something? This all happened in a multiplayer game, btw.

coineineagh likes this.
  2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Some spells have a fixed DC, independent of caster stats.

If you roll a 20, you always save, DC doesn't matter.

3. Eldariel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hm, is there a list of spells with fixed DCs anywhere? 'cause those spells are fairly worthless...

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] this is the first i've heard of fixed DC, but there are certainly details about spells that aren't mentioned. Some spells bypass spell resistance, and others seem to become useless in HoF mode.
    The highest level spells (7-9) seem to be good, while the lower level spells should be tested before relying upon them...

5. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    coineineagh likes this.
  6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Well, most of these spells I didn't use anyway. Why Harm when you can Heal?
    At least the cleric can dedicate itself to buffing and healing, the druid doesn't have that luxury. The original druid is so underpowered in the vanilla game, that it's just shameful. You might as well just have him memorize healing, and stay shapechanged.:(
    I advise anyone who likes playing a druid, to install Ease-of-use's Additional Druid Spells component. And always update your WeiDU installer beforehand, for Ease-of-use.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.