1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

how long have you been reading fantasy books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by iLLusioN', Jul 17, 2003.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

ive been reading fantasy books for 4 years now(since i was 10) and i was wondering how long some of you have been reading them.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have been reading fantasy since I was 7 so that would be 20 years now.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I checked with my folks. I've been reading on my own for 30 years (since I was a little over 6) and have been reading fantasy and sci-fi (among others) all that time.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Possibly since grade 6 when I got The Hobbit from the labrary, though didn't seriously start until grade 7 when I bought Exile.
    So that would be 3 years ago.

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

From the age of 14 when i've read for the very first time the Hobbit and since then have passed almost 14 years of reading fantasy books and about 10 since i've started to play D&D :D
    I believe i will contnue till i die :cool:

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    At least 25 years. Like many of you, I started with The Hobbit and became hooked.

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Hobbit, naturally. I think, I was 12 or something. That makes 14 years of wasting time. ;D

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Like just about everyone else here, The Hobbit was my introduction to fantasy. My mother started to read it to me a chapter or so every night but before long I was too impatient to wait for her so I started reading ahead.

From there I moved on to The Lord of The Rings (I have read it at least 15 times by now - you have got to love being able to do book reports for seven seperate English courses (grades 2,4,5,6,8,9,12) on the same book :D )

9. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Unlike many of you, I was actually introduced to the wonders of fantasy literature by Andre Norton's Witch World series. My brother had checked out one or two from the school library and let me borrow them when he decided that he didn't really like them. I've been hooked ever since.

That must have been about 7th or 8th grade which puts it about 24 years ago.

I guess that means that I've been reading fantasy/sci-fi for about as long as, or longer than, many of you have been alive. :heh:

10. Harkle Gems: 16/31

I started reading fantasy when I was twelve, so I've read four years now. My first fantasy book was surprisingly (or not) Lord of the Rings.

11. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've been reading fantasy since I was five -- when I first started reading chapter books. I read the Hobbit in 2nd grade but didn't really like the Lord of the Rings (except that I loved the Treants) but then my Dad got hooked progressively on Piers Anthony's Xanth novels (in second and third grade) David Eddings in 5th grade, Robert Jordan in 6th, and R.A. Salvatore in 8th. In between those books were other others like Terry Brooks and L.E. Modesitt (though my Dad actually banned me from reading the Recluce series untill I was in 7th grade) but the ones I first mentioned were always my favorites.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

About nineteen or twenty years (when I was five) - starting with Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and then, of course, the Hobbit!

(and going strong ever since then)

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

5 years now I guess, three years since I begun reading english books.

14. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Probably at least 12 years starting with the Narnia books

15. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm 20 now, and I've been a decent reader since like Grade 1. I probably started the Chronicles of Narnia in like Grade 3 or 4.

16. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

7 years. since i was 6.

17. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, i've been reading fantasy since i was 14, i'm 19 now so that would make it 5 years :)

18. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not long at all for me - I'd say about 3 years ago when I first started raiding my husband's fiction shelf. I was surprised by how good some of the writing was - up til then I thought the fantasy genre was pretty much all Ed Greenwood type stuff. I've always favoured cyberpunk and 60's era space opera science fiction with spaceships on the cover and preferably the word "galactic" in the title. :)

19. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

It seems most of you were introduced to fantasy by the Hobbit or Narnia books. I seem to be an oddball since the first one that i read was Elminster:mage in the making.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Probably some 6 or 7 years now. I think the first books I started with were Pratchett's Discworld books.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.