1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many books have you read in the past year?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have read about 15, all of them being Forgotten Realms books and most of them by RA. Salvatore!(the best fantasy writer in the world)

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The same question my German teacher asked two weeks ago,and I answerd 38 (good,ehh :cool: )

3. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would like to read alot more but with all the recent crpg's I just don't seem to have any time.(or money for that matter)

4. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Counting school assignments, I would have to say somewhere around 70.

For "proof," I'll even name some of them:
    Jordan's Wheel of Time (all, though not for the first time);
    Goodkind's Sword of Truth (all);
    Most of Pratchett;
    Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series;
    Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man;
    Douglass Adams;
    Katherine Kerr's Deverry series;
    Brust's Vlad series;
    and so on.

[ April 24, 2003, 01:52: Message edited by: Rathanel ]

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have only read roughly 85 books in the last year. :( Pretty sad considering I used to read at least 200 books a year before I began working full time and purchased my house. It would have been even worse but my firm sent me out of town on an eight day course and I managed to polish off a dozen books during my spare time.

6. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I read somewhere around... 100-105 approx. Back during my youth I'd probably have read quite a bit more, but I havn't got as much free time now.

7. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

IN the past year, it is more than I can count. In the last 2 weeks or so I read 6, and in the last month about 10. It would average 120, but that would be extreme, even for me.

8. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Maybe about twenty or thirty books... mostly fantasy. I read usually less than half hour in a day, so I read books quite slowly.

(My 300th post. YAY!)

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Too many that, can't remember.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I've lost count. Actualy, I never counted in the first place

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Probably about 30. Not enough, but lack of time between work, CRPG's, PS2, Pub and girlfriend.

To those of you at 100+, where on earth do you find the time????

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After thinking for a while, I came to a total of ZERO.
    Actually, I don't read, I am the one people are reading about!
    (Yeah, right!)

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wow. People are reading around 70-ish books a day. That's, on average, every book finished five days. I'd say your average fantasy book is around, say, 350 pages, so that's 70 pages, on average, a day. Which amounts to, say, around 4.5 pages every waking hour (assuming you sleep eight hours). Wow.

I haven't read a lot. I've read a few books on writing. Skimmed a few books on history, science, technology, and stuff, but never really finished them - I get too bored easily. I haven't read much fiction - pretty much no fantasy (excluding those so-so fan fiction on the internet).

14. Observer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] <grins maniacly>

Read the first two books in the FR Return of the Archwizards series in the last 8 hours. Yay night shift. I do 3-5 nights a week, you do the maths.

15. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Do you mean over the last year, or this year?

Id say about 22 this year, and, considering that we have gone through 4 months so far, I would say about 70 books over the past year.

I'm running out of spare time at the moment, 2 more years of school, so they finally decided to pile work on us. I get about 1 1/2 hours each night to do what I want, and its getting very annoying.

16. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

All of them.

Actually I read quite fast so I think that I am around 150 books this year. I think. I'm not sure it might be more or less. I just read to much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Somewhere between 45 and 70. I don't really keep track of the number of book I read.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hard to keep track but around 2 books a week I would say. Depends on size and time and such but I always have to have a book to read.

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wife, Kids, work, poverty = not nearly enough books read over the past few years :o

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Wow? Not really if you think about it. I can normally read between 50 and 100 pages per hour depending upon the book. Thus, it will normally take me less then an hour of reading to meet your calculated daily quota. On days when I am not working I will read typically betwen four and six hours meaning that I will read between 200 and 600 pages. Thus a two day week-end will net me between 400 and 1200 pages read. Assuming this averages out to 800 and given the average book length that I read is around 400 pages that amounts to two books a week just on week-ends. Unfortunately I don't have week-ends off for 1/4 of the year so that takes me down to 52*2*.75= 78 books.

When I posted my figure of 85, I calculated it by going to my bookcases and trying to remember which books I had read in the previous year. It is a little difficult to remember when I last read each of the 800 or so books but if anything the figure of 85 is a little on the conservative/low side.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.