1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many women like the Wheel of Time?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Okay, so after a long break from the Wheel of Time series, I've finally decided to read the ninth book (Heart of Winter) that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year. And once again, I find that I just don't really like any of the female characters. I've come to the conclusion that Jordan can't write a female character, and it really, *really* prevents me from truly enjoying the series. Now I'm wondering whether it's just me. So, I thought I'd ask the experts ;) How many women read the Wheel of Time series? And how do you feel about the female characters (and how they're viewed by the male characters)?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well I dislike all of the female characters too, with heat. They are all childish bitches imo. BUT I have a female friend that absolutely adores WoT and loves how his females characters are. I cannot understand her but she finds them to be wonderful characters...

3. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that he can write a female character too well. I don't understand real females, and I certainly don't understand his characters.

I dislike all of his main female characters except Min and Birgitte. Elayne, Egwene, Nynaeve, and even Avienda are really bitchy and completely annoying.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Don't compare them to grown-up women, because they aren't. It's not more than a few years since Egwene was actually allowed to braid her hair in the Two Rivers, and Elayne, Nynaeve or Aviendha aren't much older. Notice that the older (mature) women act differently.

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I have to admit that I don't like any of his female characters other than Moraine (and she's out of the story AFAIK).

But I don't know if the problem is just with his female characters. Nearly all the main characters are jerks. None of them trust each other or otherwise act like friends. Perrin is the only likable one in the group.

I stopped reading the series a while back (book 6 or 7). Despite some very interesting ideas in world design, the longer the story kept going on the more I disliked the characters. Rand being unlikable is okay, he's got genuine issues and you can survive a few unsympathetic characters, but *everyone* is just awful. A few interesting minor characters and the occassional chapter focused on Perrin just isn't enough.

6. Falconhand Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I tried to read the Wheel of Time when first books came out. I read 3 or 4 books and then gave up. I didn't like most of the characters, the whole thing was somehow depressing. Almost everyone being selfish and annoying and irrational and unavoidable destiny lurking just behind the corner. And female characters were the worst of the bunch as far as I can remember. Of course I don't know if those people have become more tolerable towards the end of the series (is it going to ever end?). As far as I can remember the world in which it all happened was quite interesting and Jordan wasn't bad writer as such.

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Nope, most of them become even more annoying, selfish, and petulant. Either because they actually got some power or because they didn't. ;)

Perrin is the only one who actually seems to mature durng the story, which is probably because he ditches the rest of them fairly quickly. :D

8. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm female! The first in this topic, ro so I suspect. I like Wheel of Time; admittedly it's not flawless. *grin* The female characters are fairly good, I think. They show a sort of adaptability, though the CHANGES in their characters (while they do occur) are not as complex as the changes in the male characters.

9. Falconhand Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Since the original question was meant for women I didn't make a point about being one. I quess I could read the rest of the series later if I could get it from my local library. Just because of Perrin ;)

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Maybe Jordan only had bitchy girlfriends in his life? Would explain much... :)

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

I think the domineering bitchiness of the female in the WoT is rather fitting with the history of the world: the world was destroyed by men. The surviving women are transfering the subliminal rage and resentment towards male channelers to all males.

It making sense, however, doesn't make me like it anymore. :p

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] The thing that cracks me up about Jordan's women in the Wheel of Time books is that all of them are beautiful!! At least the way he describes them! It gets a little annoying at times to think that every single woman playing a part in the series is gorgeous/was gorgeous but is attaining her middle or twilight years.

Just once, I would like Jordan to write: "She was not the most beautiful woman in the world, far from it! In fact, she looked as if she had been dragged by the feet over a rocky road from Tar Valon to Caemlyn!" Or words to that effect.... :grin: :spin: :roll:

As for my favorites: Aviendha, Chiad, Berelain, Moraine and Lanfear (if/when they return to the story)

As for the guys: Lan (by a long shot!), Rand, Mat (which is funny, because I didn't like him at all in the first few books!), and Garreth Bryne.

[ August 20, 2002, 16:36: Message edited by: Sir Belisarius ]

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Heh. There are very few fantasy or SF male authors that write physically unattractive female characters ;) Except for Pratchet :p

Robert Heinlin once specifically wrote a female character with small breasts, just so they wouldn't put a large, busty female on the cover of the book (Friday was the book).

And if you ever want to read some good parody's on female characters in fantasy lit, read the Chicks 'n Chainmail collections of short stories. Wonderful!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.