1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make a customized kit?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Coconut_Crab, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Coconut_Crab Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi, does anyone know which program can make a customized kit? I want to make a multi-class archer/sorcerer.

Thanks.

Coco

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Clan DLAN has a BG2 Kit Editor in its TeamBG mirror.
    Not even remotely possible unless you want to mess with the entire game engine; there is no ranger/sorcerer 'Class' value. But if you want to create a kit for the existing classes (including multi), feel free.

3. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

hmmm is their anyway of utilizing a kit to make a mage kit that essentially turned it into a sorcerer so that we could use it for say a fighter/mage but the mages abilities make it essentially a fighter/sorcerer? If we can we can just do that for any of the special classes that can not dual/multi into what we want.

So in summation can we use a kit to make a mage a sorcerer, a cleric into a monk,k fighter into a barbarian, etc...

4. Felinoid

Yes, but it's very hard. If you've really got the months it takes to do it, I'd suggest WeiDU instead and make it into a kit mod that other people can use as well. Though the real reason you don't see any of those "cool" kits out there isn't because noone else has thought of it. :heh:

5. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Sorcerers can't multi-class. I think that part is hard-coded. But you can get pretty close with a bard. Maybe you can achieve the same results by tweaking a bard kit?

6. Felinoid

Sorcerers have unique abilities that were never meant to be implemented with 2e rules, so nothing you find besides a sorcerer will be close enough for a simple tweak. They're a 3e class, and I have no idea why they thought they had to stuff them in where they didn't belong. Probably pressure from a bunch of 3e freaks. ;)

7. Bombur

In BGII, they don't have any special abilities other than spell casting. In the engine, their spells per day and known spells are organized like bardic magic as opposed to mage or priestly magic. By editing the .2da files, one should be able to slow down level advancement, beef up spell progression, decrease THAC0, etc., to come up with a bardic kit that is a reasonable approximation of a fighter/sorcerer. Maybe not reasonable enough for Felinoid, but perhaps reasonable enough for Coconut_Crab, which is the real point, right?

Of course, one could also try to tweak the sorcerer itself, but that would have to happen without the aid of the kit building tool, if I recall correctly.

8. Felinoid

No, they're completely different. Bards put spells into their spellbook just like mages (via scrolls), but sorcerers get them at level-ups. Also, they can cast anything from their spellbook, whereas bards can only cast what they've memorized. I honestly don't know where you're getting your information on bards, but it's rather obvious you don't know 2e or BG2 as well as you think you do if you're talking about bardic magic being closer to sorcerer magic than wizardly magic.

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Don't use TeamBG's Kit Editor to make kits--it is very old. WeiDU is the standard method to use now and has many advantages (such as being easily able to uninstall your changes), and it is pretty easy to learn. Plus almost nobody will be able to answer your queries when you run into difficulties with the TeamBG tool.

WeiDU: http://www.weidu.org

Read CamDawg's kit creation tutorial first, which will make WeiDU look less scary. It tells you what you can and can't do (as has been posted, Sorceror-Archer is not really possible), and download kit mods to see how they work. Cam's tutorial begins here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=584

And the discussion thread, for if you have any questions, is here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=648

Guest posting is allowed.

10. Bombur

Sorry, my mistake. I must have been recalling the way bards are handled in IWD2. Still, no need to get nasty. I wasn't trying to pontificate; I was just trying to help a fellow gamer come up with a solution to a problem.

11. Coconut_Crab Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thank you

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.