1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I am new

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Night_Heaven, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello,I am new on this site.I have heard a lot about this game and now I have start play it.However,I am really confused about this game.So many spells,so many ways.I have started with a cleric\mage half elf and now I realised how many spells are in the game.I read some of them but I really can imagine where I will use some of them.The NPC-s are so well done,with their own personality.This game charm me like a charm person spell.I love the NPC Jaheira because she help me in every decision.I like Yoshimo because he appears to know so many about Amn.I lose Imoen in a battle with a powerful mage and that bold guy died in prision-I don't know his name.Howerver,I was surprised by the new NPC of mine,Aerie.She has the same kit as I do.Now,I will try to go out in Cooper district at that tavern to find out the help I need to find Imoen.I hope I will find new NPC-s and spells from now on.That is a really great game,you know.

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed it is, as we all can agree :)
    However, user-friendly choice for a first-timer is considered to be some sort of a warrior, as they're simplier than spell-users. But don't worry, i played my game first time trough with a sorcerer.
    Ayways, welcome aboard!

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Yes this game is great fun and welcome aboard and as for simple being a fighter on your first attempt, my first run-through was with a Druid. :D

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Nah, this game is over-rated...... Who am kidding. This game is amazing. I have only ever played through with a warrior. However, I am soon going to play through with a Gnome illusionist.

5. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Welcome to the insanity! Don't be afraid to experiment with your spells; that's the best way to find out which ones you like and which you don't...everyone has their favorites. I certainly hope you took Remove Magic when you created your PC, though...you won't find a scroll of that for a LONG time. And you'll definitely want Stoneskin, although those scrolls are a dime a dozen.

The worst thing about playing a C/M is how long it takes to get levels...you might get impatient. But it's well worth it in the long run...they're VERY powerful characters at higher levels.

I'm assuming you're not using a walkthrough guide for your first run through. Talk to everyone in the game! You never know who's going to give you a quest or a good item.

You'll meet LOTS of new NPCs...a large part of the fun of this game is the interactions they have with your character and with each other. They all (or almost all) come with quests of their own which keep things interesting. BTW, the bald guy who died in prison was Minsc, and shame on you for letting him get killed! :) He's one of the more amusing NPCs. Try to keep him alive next time!

Enjoy, and let us know how you're making out!

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, this game is quite good. It is so good that I am currently playing it for a second time (which is pretty rare for me).

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Hhmm yeah this game is awsome, a little search in the boards might point you a few spells to choose. But I'd advise to test, it's easier for cleric spell since you have acces to it all.

This game is awsome!

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Welcome to SP and your new addiction, Night_Heaven. I hope BG2 and SP give you as much enjoyment as they've given just about everybody else here.

Part of the joy of BG2 is the number of things you keep finding out, even after years of playing, and all the NPC dialogues (with the PC and each other). As well as the rest of us BG2 addicts, there's also a large and dedicated modding community, which means the game really never gets stale.

Also, you've probably instantly made it into Beren's good books with this comment:

9. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Since now, you have a lot of new "friends", like the strong Jaheria, the mighty Minsc (and Boo, you forgot Boo!), the fresh Imoen, etc.
    Everybody have a new world for to conquest and to enjoy.
    Welcome brother.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Welcome indeed! BG2 is a great game and perhaps even more than that! We all love and play it!

This is your first run, you are so very lucky, so do not look into walk-throughs or solutions, or avoid SPOILER writings on the boards!

NPCs are so fun, I guess your PC is good aligned so you are recruiting kind and nice people. Know that every NPC has his/her own mind and some may even dislike you.

If your gender is male, female species can try to romance you, it is fun!

You don'T need to rush in the game, relax and have fun, do a few quests as they come by.

As for spell selection, there are good spell guides all over the place, but for the real fun YOU should test each and find the spells to your liking. Though some universal spells are almost always useful, like Stoneskin, Haste etc. You are a cleric/mage, one of my favourite combos, the one-stop magic shop, enjoy!

Have fun, and if you need any help, just ask us and we will do our best to help ya, in any way! Right, guys? ;)

11. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31

Thank you all for your help.I have played a lot since then,almost non-stop and I can't stop.I never played before a game that have such a charm,such quests,such story and such companions.I don't use any walk-throughs.My mind is neutral good but I can be a little evil.
    I have tested my spells and skills.First,I have figured out what Saving Throws are and why are so important.I have find out what Magi Resistance is,what weapons I have found etc.
    It took me a while to figure out what spells are important for me.So,the spell Doom from cleric spells is not affected by saving throws and is good.Sanctuary I think it is a great spell-nobody attack me! Next,I use Remove paralasys and curse.I found that dispel magic is very useful to get rid of many bad spells.Stoneskin is good indeed and I have it.Fireball is a good spell for harming enemyes.I have invisibility purge and improved invisibility-when I don't have any more sanctuary,I use this spell.I know that restoration will help me in future and I save one.This are the spells I have figured out to be my best spells-for now.
    Next,are the NPC-s.I arrived at Cooper district and in that big tavern I have foundthree more heroes.I have tried them all,but I can't choose Nalia because I have Yoshimo and it is good-I will never kick him out from the group.Anomen is like Jaheira but Jaheira is better and she will stay in my group until the end.I have picked up Korgan the dwarf.He is a real fighter and make some battles easier.Now, I have in my group a really beautiful dark elf named Viconia and I like her because she agree with me in every decision that I make-will stay in my group forever.Aerie is not any more because I put her back at the circus-it has the same kit as I do and she is more weaker than me.But I will change some of them,I think.I still have one spot empty in my team,but I think there are other NPC-s waiting for me in this game.
    At quests,now I search for a great mage assasin Valigar and I have to free Nalia's castle.I need to find Eyeless cult and find a book in a tomb.There are many quests and I think there is too much for me to do.Jaheira calms me down and is really a smart NPC.She tells me once:"The present will pass by if you live in the past.Neither should you wait too long for the future to find you".Yoshimo is really a bag of informations.He gives me advices,have relations with others thiefs and he know what he is doing.Viconia is motivate me in every decision and keeps me in mod for action.She speak with me on every oportunity.Korgan is a funny dwarf.He wants to break skulls and find gold,tons of it.A really good party,my first one.
    I leave you for now,but can you tell me if there are other spells that I need to have,if Valigar is soo strong or if someone need to be in my party.I will read any kind of post thet will help me.Bye,keep this game in my heart.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

2 often underrated but very useful spells are strength and protection from evil 10 foot radius.
    Both last very long and strengthen the party considerably. You can even cast strength twice in a row to gain 18/00 for a long time.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Bro THIS is the game to play. You want to have some fun, then play this game! You can play soOoO many different characters it's not funny! Start off with a fighter and then see where you go! :D

$¡ℓνéяşђίзℓđ

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This quote is priceless:

A lot of people don't like her for that very same reason....

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well you start to recruit evil NPCs, if you didn'T notice already let me tell you, Viconia and Korgan are both evil, but sure they are cool and powerful! But do not let the evil completely dominate you!

Well, good riddance to Aerie, since you are a stronger C/M.

There are a few NPCs you will meet in your quests, some of them are quite good! Pick whoever you like, BUT make sure there will be little conflict between party members. Like I said before, NPCs have their own personalities and decisions, and some will hate each other, this could lead to serious problems if you are not careful! Focus on their alignments, evil goes well (generally) with evil, while neutrals are OK with just anyone, for example.

It seem from the quote that Jaheira has already started a 'romance' with you. Bony good luck, she is a hard nyt to crack, but once you do she is..simply beautiful and very rewarding! Just don'T let a cat-fight happen between other female NPCs. Hope I didn'T spoil anything for you.

You seem to be pretty good at spell-selection so far, so a cookie to you! :p C/M is a very versatile class. Cast mage protections like Stoneskin, Mirror Image, 4th level cleri spell Holy Power, add level 2 cleric spell Draw Upon Holy Might, haste yourself and you will be a helluwa fighter with fighter THAC0 and good HP, nearly invincible, with 20+ STR and extra attacks! Just one way and one aspect of the C/M.

Like you said, saving throws are very important. Most important category is perhaps, save vs spells, your ability to resist magical effects and spells, such as a fireball, or charm effect, or a deadly disintegration! Then paralyse/poison/death is vital against dangerous and poisonous enemies. You are lucky, since you are a C/M you get the best saving throws of both classes, cleric's super tough save vs death and mage's very good save vs spells!

Have fun, and keep giving us feedbacks, it is soo great to watch as a new player discover this most beautiful game! ;)

16. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31

Hello again.I keep my adventure going, so now I found Valigar the mage killer but he is not how I expected to be. He is a npc, I never seen this kind of kit- stalker - however he tell me the his side of the story and I belive I will go with him to find the truth about the Magical Sphere. I save Nalia's castle but I can't defeat that giant golem in the secret room.Her father died because I arrived too late, but I will do my best next time.
    I have searched some houses in the city and I have found some legs and some hands.Can I build something with them? I have started the cult of the eyeles quest and I found that paladin Keldron but I have no room for him now,maybe later. I have found great treasures and great items but some enemies are too powerfull for me. There is a lich in a tavern guarding a chest and I can't win her fight and others but I can't remember now. In my party things are not going so well, Viconia broke my romantic story with Jaheira and Korgan doesn't like her either. Viconia said something about Yoshimo like he is false or something but I don't think she know much about him. My party is fighting not only with enemies but they don't get along too well.But that is ok, they are good. Now I need to complete a quest about the druids in Trademeet so I leave you for now. Bye.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, like I said NPCs will have conflicts if you are not careful.

If you need tactics against liches and other tough enemies, just ask, I beat those guys improved versions via mods on insane dificulty, you can trust my advice, hopefully. ;) And I am more than willing to help. But I understand your concern, that you want to win all the challenges by yourself, on your first run and I do respect that!

Have fun and keep us updated!

18. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

About Nalia's father, you can't save him IIRC. So don't ruin your future games by making unnecessary haste, as it won't help.
    As for the hands and legs, you indeed can. Try to find same kind of tombs in other places, one of them has explanation for it all.
    And for hard enemies, try coming back later, with better equipment and levels.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Sound advice!

You can now do druid quest, it is easy for low to mid level parties. Good luck!

20. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31

I have completed the druids quest and now I've decided to keep in my group this beautiful shapeshifer Cernd. He is quite honest and I tink will be an interesting adition. Next, I have found the super lich that attacked me after took his torso and arms and legs. It was very hard and I was not able to beat him. Now he is transformed in a skull and he is quite good. I leave him. I am now in the beholders nest and just foun some quite good items, but I still have to get out of here. I have not found yet the Magical Sphere and how am I suppose to fit in a globe,anyway? It's funny but I haven't seen the most of the game soo...
    I am still searching this sphere- somewhere in Atkala. In my party everyting is well now. I'm not speaking with Jaheira anymore because Viconia get the party started. Im leaving,have fun with this game

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.