1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I hate Athkatla streets so much!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Magus800, May 8, 2002.

1. Magus800 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am walking in the middle of the night, and suddenly my whole party gets tired. so i rest, and what happens,? The stupid Amn Military people pop up and get all cranky, in the midst waking my party up, I hate them.
    A group of vampires attack me and my ranger(whose racial enemy is vampire) is killed. So I use a spell on one of the blood-suckers, and what happens? The stupid Cowled Wizard pops up, I hate them.
    I am in a hurry, and I go from one place to another, and I am attacked by some thugs. My parents get mad because I was supposed to be off an hour ago, and I never quit a fight in the middle. I hate thugs that attack you, so much.
    One solution is to get authorized to use magic, proble two solved, but what about the other two? Am I forced to live like this forever, constantly being enraged by weaklings, I hate that! Please help me, please I beg you. Peace.

2. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Problem 1: Don't rest on the streets of Athkatla

Problem 2: Side with Bodhi and you won't have to worry about vampires.

Problem 3. Solved

Problem 4. You have to fight. No way of getting around that.

3. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The thugs stop attacking you after you clear them out, IE: travel between all locales :p

I don't side with Bodhi, I just find the frelling vampires, I usually win with minor casualties, maily level drain.

Resting should be no problem, you should have no shortage of coin, at least get a Peasant Room in an inn at the Copper Coronet or something.

4. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

When the vamps are hunting you, don't travel in the city after dark -- rest for two cycles in an inn, and watch the clock (this will help with your parents too). If you are stuck in the Temple district after dark, rest in the sewers if you have to sleep.

To avoid unnecessary battles, travel invisibly (invis. 10' r. covers the whole party).

5. Buddas Hand Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wouldnt it better just to KILL them all! I purposely(in chapter 3) walk round at night, with mace of disruption and anti undead/level drain things. It is a quick way to get lots of XP.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found it pretty funny to walk the streets at night. I love to kill undeads and ruffians are not that tough. If you keep getting killed, then choose a better way to defeat your foes.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Um, the thugs don't end no matter how many you kill. Remember to cast magic missile when one of those amnites wakes you up. It doesn't kill him, and your rep doesn't go down (as long as he talks to you first), but it sure makes you feel better.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Doesn't it make him attack you? Or is he just doing his Blahaha woke the fools up, now to walk away looking buffed in my shining armor routine?

9. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Or just play evil, therefore you can wipe their shiny buttocks all over Amn.

10. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

From the sound of things, you definitely *don't* want to download the improved random encounters mod. (available with Solaufein, and perhaps others..)

Said mod makes random encounters infinitely more interesting, by the bye...

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The (unboosted) random encounters are only annoying to a certain point. Once you gain some levels, vamps and thugs will be like a walk in the park. If you want to use magic when fighting them, raise 5,000 gp and give it to the cowled wizards in the Government District. Then you'll be allowed to cast magic in the city.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like the atkathla streets and getting waylaid. IMO that's a great way to find back in the game after pausing or a perod of non gaming. Actually I'd wished there would be more and a greater varieties of getting waylaid ... however, depending on char the first vampire encounter there usually sucks ... but alas, it's just the first ... ;)

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Vampire encounter sucks? In what way?
    I assure you I got my party almost completely killed by Tanova and her two "fledging ones". Well, I forgot I had Daystar in my pocket then :o
    Reloading rocks! :p

And for varieties, too bad the same designer of those varieties is involved in making NWN. Yes, Dave Gaider. I eagerly wait to see what varieties he'll set in NWN.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 11, 2002).]

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In a purely halse-ish way Extremist :p ... at low level you're short of protection from negative plane spells ... and don't have effective weapons either. So I tried to beat up Tanova (iirc it was her) with ineffective +1 weapons and so she level drained half of my party until mighty Minsc, down to lvl-3, eventually killed the bitch with Sarevok's sword, forcing me to aquire healing with funds better invested in adequate weaponry. That indeed sucked ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 11, 2002).]

15. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Encounters with vamps are not that random. You can generally prepare with spells, and at least Jaheira will have access to one or two negative plane protection spells. Vampires don't appear at night in the City Gates, , Government, Temple and Graveyard Districts. (there's a chapter 6 encounter at the entrance to the graveyard district) Vampires show up in the lower part of the slums district - next to Baron Ployer's house. They appear at two points in Waukeen's Promenade - near the West side entry/exit and around the bottom middle near to Maheer's stall. They appear in the top middle of the Dock's district, and you have time to buff up with spells before reaching them. Vamps also appear in the area close to the huge arch in the Bridge District. Generally, there'll only be one 'random' vampmire encounter on any given night and there is a series of 4-5 encounters, not more.

Don't pay 5,000gp for a spell-casting licence. Take out each and every cowled wizard party that shows up :D - insect plague works wonders. It's the cowled ones who are breaking the law as a fight near any Amnish guard will prove ;)

16. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Vampire actually do appear in the government district. They only appear in several places, so you can sometimes walk past them.

17. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

you can rest on the streets if you just press pause before you rest, then when some f*cker comes to wake you up, just press rest again. Repeat until you actually rest, I once had eleven guards standing around. (Don't worry, htey're gone when you wake up)

18. DinoTiggy1 Guest

The worst thats ever happened to me was when I sid with the shadow thieves, I go down to the docks to meet Mook staight away, it's night time. About halfway there a mugger asks me for all my money I say no. She attacks, with some of her friends. And at that exact moment a gang of vampires decide to attack me, this is when I get overly frustrated and start casting magic. Blah blah, blah. I die.

And it's at times like that that I really get annoyed.:aaa:

19. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

You'd think a party of cowled wizards would have something else in mind when finding out there are vampires running loose in the streets. No can do, get killed by them or by us. Vampires are good, spellcasting bad.

20. [​IMG] Magus800

There are many sollution's to your problem's.
    One thing I suggest you don't do is side with Body.If you are being attacked by Vamp's then go to the Graveyard's and collect the mace of Disrupting.Also give your priest(s)the spell "Repel Undead".If you follow my instruction's you will find out that Vamp's are very WEAK.Also I think that you should pay the Wizard's so that you can us magic.Finally you shouldn't care about thugs because they are pathetically WEAK.

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited May 26, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.