1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I Hate BG2

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Splunge, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I just want to start off by saying that I don’t really have a point to this post, nor do I expect any great discussion to come from it. I just want to vent.

I looked at the floor beside my computer last night and realised I have six games that I haven’t touched yet – Hitman 2, Serious Sam 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Warcraft 3, Max Payne and Divine Divinity. I’ve owned them all for 6 months or more, and I really want to play them, but I haven’t. Why? It’s all BG2’s fault! :mad:

Every time I think I’m going to start one of these games, I think, “oh, but maybe first, I’ll try just one more character – maybe a such-and-such class, since I haven’t played that before”. So the other games get put on hold yet again. Right now I have two BG2 games on the go which I am going to finish (well, one is a hardcore game which may end earlier than I want it to). Plus I have another two in Chapter 2 which I may or may not decide to complete, so I haven’t deleted them yet. And I’m already thinking about my next game – I think I’ll use a monk, which I’ve never played.

So there sit my games – staring up at me with sad, accusatory cardboard faces, gathering dust, practically crying out “Play me!” “No, play me”. So I think I’ll play my monk next. And then I’ll play one of my untouched games. Absolutely for sure.

Right after I try a Totemic Druid.

I hate BG2.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, I hear ya man. 2 months ago I swore off the game. Decided never to play it again. Now here I am, with my game currently saved outside the Druid Grove (2nd visit, to pick up Cernd from his "personal" quest).

Maybe it is a topic that warrents discussion. What is it about BG2 that's so damn addicting? Stimulating? The BG2 forums (both SoA and ToB) seem to get more posts then any other gaming forum, and it came out almost 4 years ago! There are more mods and tweaks made for it then NWN (at least posted here anyway), despite NWN's ease of mod making.

What is it about this game - moreso than other games - that sucks us in so?

Hate that damn game. :grr: :nolike:

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks, D.R. – I’m glad you were able to re-interpret my rant the way I was hoping someone would. :D

For me, the addictiveness comes from several angles:
    - The variety in gameplay due to the number of different classes and potential party composition.
    - The variety of enemy types which usually require different tactics, which in turn keeps the gameplay from being repetitive.
    - The way your characters grow stronger as you advance in the game.
    - The way your can upgrade your equipment as you go along. This IMHO would be even better if the equipment finds were randomized along the lines of Diablo, but on the other hand, it’s kind of nice to know that a specific weapon is available if you can just get it.

All of this keeps me coming back for more. And even that isn't a very good explanation; maybe someone else can do better.

#@&@'ing game!

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It would be nice if they'd incorporated random item tables into the game like they did the IWD games. Some of the randon items in those games were the best you could find. Good call.

5. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

For me, the addictiveness stems mainly from the sheer number of options you have. Let's face it: BG was a great game, but there weren't so many ways to skin the cat. But BG2 expands every class' potential. Add a bounch of interesting NPC interactions and a plethora of interesting quests, et voilà: you just have to keep on playing.

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

LOL! I, too, have a stack of games waiting for my BG2 addiction to abate. For me, it's the endless mods you can use to make the game different each time. Trying out a new NPC or adding new quests to the game keeps me in BG2.

Now that I'm modding, I have a whole new reason to continuously fire up games. :)

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I too am a recovering BG2ic. I couldn't play anything else for a looong time. Finally I uninstalled it and put it in a box upstairs. I played every game on Splunge's list except for Divine Divinity, and they're all great except for Serious Sam. Warcraft III is just as bad as BG2 almost.

8. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The sheer depth of the gameplay is what keeps dragging me back for one last go. That and the seemingly endless mods, good or bad. Even bad mods can give a game more replay value.

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Speaking of bad mods. Has TDD gotten any better. That mod has the most insect like bugs!

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If my friends are ever out and wonder where I am, the immediate answer they come up with is that he's playing BG2 - even if its not true - and the amount of criticism I get is unbelievable. Good job I can take it :/
    It was the only game I played for a long time until I found a cure which I know most of you would disagree with...but it came in alittle box called Morrowind.
    Unfortunatly, my friends have latched on to the idea that all I do when I'm not around them, is play Morrowind...can't win I guess :rolleyes:

11. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:yot: but anyway: TDD still is the same old bug infested. No new versions out. :bang: :mad:

12. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Its nice to have a place where there are people just like me who like to use all their spare time on this awsome video game juss like me!

13. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Wow, can you send me those games? :D

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have photographic memory, so I can't play games twice or more. I just can't bear it. No way. Maybe some silly little arcade ones or strategy games with random maps. I finished SoA thrice and ToB almost twice (second party wasn't good enough for Amelissan, probably because of low levels - I was in quite a hurry) after the first it was a pain many a time. You know it all but you don't remember some very specific piece of information or puzzle solution. But you aren't going to explore it again and inspect every single hole, are you? Bad, bad. That's why I would probably jump unto heaven out of joy if they made a nice conversion. And that's why I liked the FlirtPack mod, sweet candy interludes that keep you from dying of boredom.

And all my characters are LG human cavaliers. Dual-wielding, single-weapon-style, two-handed swingers, mace, flail or hammer as secondary weapon choice, whatever. Heh, maybe I should try inquisitor once? Awesome powers, but you don't get draw upon holy might or armour of faith. And you don't lay hands and what paladin is one that can't lay hands?

I was also thinking about a fighter/mage of some sort. Had one - half/elven multi. He survived until Aerie quest and died of my boredom shortly afterwards.

Hmmm... but maybe a paladin of Mystra evenly multiclassed with diviner in Icewind Gate? Or a kick-ass Helmite paladin/fighter(4) with so high levels as you get in late ToB. Or an otherwise single-class paladin started as some other class, like rogue or ranger.

[ September 14, 2003, 15:20: Message edited by: chevalier ]

15. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Baldurs Gate 2 is addictive.

Play it, and get hooked.

I dont have any "unplayed game" but i do have some seriously ignored good game that have abandoment issues because i havent played them in a while.

Moreover, i have decided to vary the weapons i use and the characters i choose to get different "gameplay" everytime i start bg2 all over again. He** i even got the dream sequences back (used easy-to-use mod to get rid of them).

The future of the other games look black. :evil:

16. Tanthie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm not addicted to BG2... I'm just playing it quite often...really! If I play at least 4 hours every day it doesn't mean that I have an addict to some game. Why it is so hard to believe?

17. JamesT Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

For me it is the culmination of all the hours I spent after school, and when I got older, after work to refine the next D&D game for that weekend. After 10 years of DMing, my players would not run a game so I could play and fall in love with a character.

I have only had one true character (an Elven Mage, Hanover Goldleaf), he loved to smoke cigars, didn't drink much and had a "thing" for women who were 40-something. I could go on and on. I find myself thinking about Hanover all the time, even after 14 years!

BG2 is D&D. It's allowed me to have many characters now and I can't wait to make my next one. The game is almost limitless, just like rolling the dice

I've only just started modding, and sometimes have trouble getting them installed, but it has added alot of magic for me. And yes, I too hate it when it's all I seem to play.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For me, the addictiveness comes from the party interactivity mostly, exploring the different party combinations and seeing how they all get along. Also, just the fact that I'd been dying for a really good CRPG since I fell in love with Vandal Hearts on PS1 about 5 or 6 years ago.
    And this one ROCKS!
    Not having played anything like it before, the first time I ever played I couldn't even get past the Slavers Quest but once I had a handle, everything opened up for me and it just grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go.
    I think the thing I most like exploring though would be the romances.

19. night_hawk Banned

simple: download an editor
    why work your ass off that game if you played it and finished it already? whats the point of going back and trying out classes? weird. your there sitting all day in your pc? try out some sports like basketball. it will take your mind off the game.

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Because it's fun.

That's not really the point, and an interesting assumption on your part about all of us.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.