1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I just saw Txx'Sylvia the Shadow Dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kasio, May 3, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How can i kill this beast? HE IS SO BIG! 10x bigger then i am...

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

dont be scared of his look, unless your playing on insane where he rapid fires the level drains you dont have much to worry about, just have some kinda +3 weapon, and cast breach after he casts stone skin, (also use haste)

3. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

And don't forget to use the ward stone to gather around him, so he can't hit all of your characters at the same time.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Another tip: Cast lower resistances on him and then magic missiles.... works really good.... also use haste before attacking the dragon, for whenm he smacks you a 30 meters away, you'll be back soon. Oh en give the fighter with dragonslayer some combat bonusses (draw upon holy might and stuff like that)

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] A good tip:

1. cast lower resistance about twice.

2. Let Anomen or Viconia cast Flame strike(about 40 HP *)

3. Let Minsc or Valygar(25 HP *), Cernd or Jaheira(40 HP *) cast Lightning strike. It is the only good opportunity to use lightning strike because the dragon is in open air, and the spell can deal a HUGE pack o' damage.

4. Let the mages cast magic missile(20 HP).

3. See the big brute die, because nobody survives that!

* = if the spell is resisted

6. nicholi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

is the shadow dragon undead? cause it would be nice for me a cavalier to be able to kick his ass with my + abilities agains dragonic creatures as well as being able to use turn undead on him.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That won't work. You can't turn dragons, no matter what they're like.

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Oh but what if they could. Just imagine Vic leading the Shadow Dragon around with a leash :D There's one for you Sir Belisarius.

9. ayecapitan Guest

Tip from Thaxll'ssillyia (i've killed her so much that i actually learned the name :) )

Best way to kill her be to counter all she does. She is NOT very powerful without her breath (IIRC 3 times only, 'swell as wing buffet), so protect yer people from negative plane; she casts stoneskin, so cast 2 breach immediately (1 does not seem to dispel stoneskin, just prot. from magical weapons),
    she casts dragon fear, pick up mazzy and invoke courage; and she casts chaos, so use chaotic commands on yer main fighters (on all if yer priest can cast this much, or ye dont have much to cast on)
    Then she dies from blade and boot, no lightning strike or whatever treacherous sorcery :)

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited May 04, 2001).]

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Well, some info I'd like to share.

1) I now never cast Lower Resistance, I cast Cleric's "Magic Resistance" with the most low-level Cleric possible (my F/C was 8/8 so he had only one 5 level spell - worked ideal for me). MR is equv to about 3(!) Lower Resistances.
    AND MR is considered a DEFENSIVE spell, so you can cast it on the Shadow Dragon and still not initiate combat (one bonus round - not bad)

2) IF you have a mage with you just memorize all the lightning bolts you can get, then all your summoning spells for both mage and cleric.

3) As i'm playing on the insane difficulty, I don't melee Dragons AT ALL. Lightning bolts and Magic Missiles is the least sweaty way.

4) There is a wand of lightning to be found just beforehand, so Jan Jansen for me did some 70 damage using it.

Btw, TIN_MAN, thanks for the info on the Lightning Strike - I alwas thought that room with the dragon was inside.

11. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

On the lower resistance/Magic Resistance, yes, while that is true...

ITS FUCKING CHEATING LIKE HELL. Thats exploiting the game in a terrible way. I'm sure that the programmers would not have included that option if they had thought of it. Can you seriously imagine any dragon sitting there while you cast spells on it? NEVER! Beyond that, casting magic resistance should add to the magic resistance of a creature. You are exploiting the flaws of the game.

Phew, there's my rant. Regardless, I hate that manuever.

Hmm-level 2, but i'm still a goblin chief? Interesting

[This message has been edited by Lothar (edited May 04, 2001).]

12. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Now you were asking for it.

YOU ARE CALLING ME A CHEATER???????? :mad:
    In all my runs through BG2 I:

1) NEVER used the Set Trap ability
    2) NEVER cast ANY area effect spell except for Insect Plague and Silence
    3) NEVER used the Xcap remover, even on my solo run on Insane difficulty.
    4) I NEVER sneak out monsters one at a time
    5) I NEVER shoot Golems from a safe distance, while they are stuck

and for the issue of Alteration spells, and Magic Resistance in particular, see the discussion:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001621.html

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Sorry, Modjahed! I also think using the priest spell Magic Resistance to lower a monsters MR is abusive.

14. ayecapitan Guest

And what is wrong with sneaking enemies one at a time? For a solo thief, thats a way of life :)
    Golems which are big enough to be stuck dont get shot :)
    Set trap is okay unless ye set-fail-reload

15. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Why do you call shooting a Golem which is stuck cheating?
    It has nothing to do with the AI or something...
    They are just mindless constructs, that are trying to obey their master by folowing you. If they can't reach you, but you can hurt them, it's just their fault.
    BTW, they don't feel anything, so quit wining...!

16. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

umm...scuse me..was just wondering if u could get like a skeletal dragon? cos that would look soooo cool!

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

you could summon some creatures to help you also, just dont attack with all of them at the same time.

Start with moving on close, so the dragon cast som kinda death spell, that kills summoned creatures, then charge with your warriors and other creatures =)
    all the lower resistance and so on works like a charm as well

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Actually it is possible to turn an undead dragon..(but only turn, not destroying) In P&P (oh dear hear me rambling about those outdated paper-rules again :D ) a 9th level cleric must roll a 20 on a 20 sided die to turn a special undead (include unique undead, free-willed undead of negative material plane, certain greater powers and those undead that dwell in the outer planes)
    At the peak a 14th level cleric has to roll 13 or higher to turn the dreaded beast.

EDITED HERE:
    I am aware of the fact that Nimmdadsgl-whatever :D isn't an undead dragon

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 21, 2001).]

19. Avooch Dar Guest

i would like to mention something that i have never seen anyone mention before.
    When i was in my youth and had no other option i used to sort of cheat without cheating.
    i would go near a dragon and get minsc to chat to him..........however i would make him walk away straight after and the stupid beast would sit there waiting to start talking.....he will stay like that for about 15 seconds while you pound it and then you repeat the process again until it dies.

i don't do this anymore but i thought it was quite cool and i managed to defeat firkragg with quite a low level party.

20. Jadriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Aye, having a dracolich in the game would be way nifty. Maybe they could throw one in TOB?

Oh, and keep on hand a useful Shandril Shessair equivalent (isn't spellfire in the rules nowadays? That might make things interesting in TOB too...) to burn it if it gets naughty :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.