1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale Trilogy

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, May 21, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Salvatore is a good author for his first novel. The Crystal Shard is a very good and easy read with lots of intrigue and politics. I love the way that the novel begins telling so many tales all in one, like a tapestry or a hair braid. It also feels real and the Dale breathes life. What I like about this book is that Salvatore shines with talent but also his work does not seem to be "bound" by DND.

Also since I played IWD so many times I like being able to read about the real IWD and relate it to the game.

I really like the way that this book is about the Crystal Shard Crenshinibon and not about Drizzt. He is still a great character in this book (I feel that he is a little bit hollow in Drizzt books that came out later) but the protagonist is the Shard. It reminds me of how Peter Jackson made the One Ring into the protagonist (antagonist?) in his film of the Lord of the Rings.

It may be possible that Salvatore lost his glossy shine as he made more and more books, but this one is good. (I still get annoyed at the Americanisms, but I don't speak English, I speak Ocker ;) )

I really think that it is a great book and if you haven't read it yet, then go do so. 9 out of 10. (On the Tolkien scale).

Check it out on SP!

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I recently bought this book, but haven't had the time to read it yet. I bought it because of all the positive reviews and comments from everyone who read it. Unfortunatly, the gift box, with three seperate books was not avaliable, so I bought the collector's edition (the very thick paperback). I'll probably start reading it in the next few weeks.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Silverblade..... well worth the effort. You'll enjoy it immensely.

4. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've read the book in one day literally and i do believe it is a very good book (8 out of 10) i do recommend it to anyone who loves a good fantasy book.
    I personally liked more the streams of silver maybe because i'm a fanatic of Drizzt :cool:

5. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I read all of Salvatore's Drizzt books and I can say that Icewind Dale Trilogy is not raelly good when compared to Homeland, The Thousand Orcs, or Servant of the Shard.

6. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have only read the icewind dale trilogy but i have heard other people say the same thing taht khelben says, so i'm definetely going to buy the other books :)

7. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I liked The Crystal Shard and Streams of Silver but I felt the series went downhill with The Halfling's Gem, and later Drizzt books weren't as interesting because they lacked the depths of Salvatore's earlier works. Drizzt was a more interesting character when less was known about him: a dozen books later and he's pretty much lost all his sense of mystery and is your basic run-of-the-mill-character-in-a-fantasy-setting-who's-really-good-at-fighting.

But I'd recommend The Crystal Shard definitely.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

dshadow -- I tend to agree with you somewhat -- at least for me, his character was so foreign to anything I had read -- he was mysterious, quiet, introspective -- I was completely enthralled. Then, as the character aged, the mysteries were explained away and not replaced with anything else. But, I'm still not finished with the line....about to start the Paths of Darkness books. So we'll see.....

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

On the Tolkien scale it gets about a 3 out of 10. Good by Salvatore standards...

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

It certainly is an enjoyable book. Apeman's comment in previous topicson it being like reading a comic book is the best description.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.