1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If I had to do it again...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Bowie, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I just finished IWD:HOW for the first time. (WHOO HOO!!! :)) I chose from the start to have only four PCs in the party which was great for level progression. I finished with a level 18 Paladin, a 14/15 lvl fighter/cleric, a 14/17 fighter/thief and a 15/14 cleric/mage. But the last half of the game I kept thinking about what I'd change in my party if I were to play through again.

One disavantage to having only four characters is I found myself running out of inventory slots constantly, I had to either run to town to sell stuff off or chose what to leave behind.

So in hindsight I would've added a bard to my party. I didn't read about how souped up the bard was in HOW until my party was well into the game, or else I would've had one from the start. The new bard songs would've been fun to play with plus there's some interesting bard only items throughout the game. Also the bard would've helped greatly in item identification. Because, while my cleric/mage with 18 INT/18 WIS (actually that had gone up to 18 INT/20 WIS by the end of the game) had a decent lore rating, I still found myself having to pay for a lot of items to be identified, or having to down potions to raise INT to get some of the items identified, or worse, having to waste a 1st level spell slot on Identify instead of Magic Missle.

Also, the big mistake I made with my party was I figured my cleric/mage was going to stay in the back and cast spells so I wouldn't have to worry about Strength. BIG MISTAKE. With only 8 in STR she could only carry 50 pounds of stuff, and by the end of the game she was equipped with around 40 lbs. on her body, leaving only 10 or so lbs. to play with for the other slots. This is not a good thing to have when you're short on inv. slots.

Otherwise, I was happy with this party and now think I get when and where to use certain spells and when not to. Hopefully this knowledge will be benifical as I move back to that town in the Sword Coast who's name eludes me at the moment... what was it again? Bald-something-something? ;)

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Don't bother going back to Baldurs Gate, go even further south to Amn (BG2) and really warm yourself up after all that wandering around in the snow of Icewind Dale.

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] But that would be a waste of the $30 I spent on BG and TotSC!! ;)

Actually, I want to play a character from the start of BG:TotSC and carry it over to BG2:SoA and ToB. I have played a bit with BG2, though, with both a monk and a fighter/thief, but I never got either of them past chapter two. But, I do have a fighter in Chapter 3 of BG that's waiting to be high enough level to be dual-classed into a cleric though- I wouldn't want to keep him waiting. :)

4. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

It's worth playing BG I and TOSC again. Just to see the progression of the design as well as the TOMES. The Tomes will give you an additional +1 Str,Dex,Const,Char,Int and +3 Wisdom (2 in BG game, 1 in TOSC). I'm all for that!

Then you can have a legit imported character for BG II and BG II's expansion -The Throne of Bhaal!

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually prefered BG1 to BG2. BG2 was more polished and had some nice new features and the NPC interactions but I thought BG1 had better roleplaying, story, main villain, sense of adventure, etc. To my surprise it looks like I wasn't the only one who felt like this as you can see by looking at:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001760.html

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I agree. I'm on BG2 right now after BG1/TOSC and IWD/HOW. BG1 is the king. There was something about it that gave the gaming experience a bit more sense of adventure. Maybe because it was the first of a dynasty, I don't know. I used to plan my day around playing it (I'm a geek). With BG2, I just play when I have time. BG1 was so immense and roving, and somany areas without any discreet plot around them you could just walk through. That was cool. I do like BG2, though. I'm not knocking it at all, I just think BG1 had more magic about it. IWD was incredible, too. When I finish BG2, sometime in the nmext century, I'm going for Planescape.

7. lich Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i have finished bg2, iwd, planescape........
    right now i'm playing how

my team -
    1 fighter
    1 ranger
    1 druid (it's fun to transform into elemental heeheee..........they are cute)
    1 thief
    1 cleric
    1 conjurer (cant use evocation spell.....too bad)

i want to play bg1 (it's out of stock).....(i live in hong kong).........any suggestion for where i can buy it?????

8. Bowie Gems: 8/31

Well, I downloaded the patch and took a small break from BG1 by rolling a new party for IWD.

There's the Bard (of course{see above}), he was already useful in the prologue for a bit of extra XP.
    A plain fighter (no DC/MC or kits)- I've never played just a plain fighter so it should be fun to get a high mastery in axes and crossbows when two stars was all the further my Paladin could get from my first go around.
    A druid- because I've never played one before.
    A cleric/ranger with spectral undead as the racal enemy. Wailing Virgins here I come. :D
    And a necromancer and mage/thief to cover the spells and thievery.

I made it throught the prologue with little problem, though I'm wishing for a bit more AC on my druid. Let's see, where did I find those rings of protection... Anyway, this party should be a nice diversion when I get tired of wondering the wilderness aimlessly in BG1.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.