1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

INT bonuses

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ddgoon, Feb 21, 2003.

1. ddgoon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Does anything like the tome in BG1 live out there somewhere? I dualed into mage from kensai with 17 INT and am now worried I'll never be able to cast 9th level spells when the time comes...

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is something, but it won't come until the TOB expansion pack.

And it will take some diligent searching on your part once you are playing through it.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

To be :yot: , I don't think you'll be able to cast 9th level spells anyways without the expansion or the level cap removal. You can only cast them via scrolls, and I don't think there is an intelligence prerequisite for that; if there is, you can always just use a potion.

(I'm posting far too frequently, but gotta do something while snowed off from school.)

[ February 21, 2003, 21:53: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmm..I was able to cast 9th level spells in BG:SoA? With 17 INT you recieve a bonus to memorized spells.
    It's only in NWN you need the appropriate INT to cast Spells of that amount.

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

According to 2nd Ed. Rules:

Int 9 is needed to scribe 4th level spells
    10 for 5th level
    12 for 6th level
    14 for 7th level
    16 for 8th level
    18 for 9th level

But BG2 doesn't always follow the rules. ;)

I don't think those limits are enforced, but the max number per level are.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Any mage can cast any spell of any level in BG (assuming he is is high enough in Experience, that is.) I've never noticed a bonus in the # of spells you could cast based in INT, though. Maybe I should have looked harder?

7. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] If I'm not mistaken, the INT bonuses are just aplied to the number of spells per level (just as Aces said) you can write in your spellbook!

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You'll be able to cast them from scrolls only in SoA. It doesn't allow copying them into spellbook. In ToB [snip]. Also there's a Ioun (or is it loun) stone +1 INT. Normally in 2ed you shouldn't get that 9th level, but it's only a PC game. Get him robe of Vecna and you'll be able to slice the all for three rounds on time stopped in half a round time. :D

[ToB spoilers removed mercilessly.] -Tal

[ February 23, 2003, 10:27: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.