1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IRC 2e game

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Felinoid, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] Someone contacted me recently about starting a 2e IRC game, and I thought it would be worth a shot trying to find some people here willing to play. It'll be DMed, (unlike the forum RPs), and you'll need at least a basic knowledge of 2e (the kind you might get from playing BG) not to get left behind. But it should be a fair bit of fun. :)

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

sounds like fun. Depends on the timing for me though. I live in Norway after all. Been a long time since I played 2ed so I am abit rusty at it. But if its ok, I would like to pop by and play.

3. Felinoid

Very tentative timing of 0200 to 0500 Sundays GMT. That'd be Saturday night for Americans and...well, a really crap early Sunday morning for Europeans, hence the tentativeness. :bad: Probably move it earlier so that it's Sat. afternoon for North America and Sat. night for Europe.

What times are good for you?

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

it kind of depends. I do like to party sometimes in the weekends. But there is no reason why I can`t stay up late and play. Evenings are the best times for me though, I must admit. But since its 2ed rules and such, I will definatly compromise hehe. What setting are you planning on running?

5. Felinoid

Not sure yet. Mostly because we have at least two candidates for DM atm. (The guy who's organizing it prefers to be a player, but will DM if necessary.)

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Ok. i am familiar with Forgotten Realms, and to some extent: Ravenloft and Dragonlance. Would need to freshen up on stuff anyway.

Are the players required to make up a background for the character? And how do we roll stats? And I HOPE its not too power gamish\ god modish too. It kind of puts me off in the long run.

7. Felinoid

Same deal: it depends on the DM. I'll let you know when I've got more.

In the meantime, if you don't have an IRC program, now might be a good time to find one and get comfortable with it.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I got IRC and I am quite comfy with it. I`m an oldtimer hehe. MSN messenger would probably work too. Not sure if this is legal or not.....but I do have pdf books of the 2ed rules. As well as all of the forgotten realms ones, scanned. Could send you the whole bunch if you want.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I wasn`t sure, since you can download 2ed books on the wizard of the coast site.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Any downloads from the Wizard's site are legal, but some you have to pay for. I also don't think I've ever seen the core rule books available for download there... but I don't check regularly.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well I won`t delete them though....They are MINE now. Its almost impossible to get them in book-form now adays. I wonder if they will ever be re-printed. The 1ed rulebook has been re-printed, bought it last month. Hope they do the same with the 2ed books.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can get them on Amazon.com Marketplace, eBay and similar sites for next to nothing. Getting them outside the US is a bit harder, though.

With the 4th edition right around the corner, WoTC certainly has no desire whatsoever to reprint anything, not even any 3.5e books. Everything will start again with 4e next year. They'll want people to buy that, not any older products.

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That sounds fun, Fel. If you're still looking for players, I'm interested. Will try and pick up a copy of the core books second hand.

[Edit] Heh, that was easier than I imagined. One quick call was all it took (which is quite scary, now I think about it). Going to pop out and pick up the Players Handbook now!

[ October 01, 2007, 09:35: Message edited by: Rotku ]

15. Felinoid

Might be a problem with the timezones. But I'll see what we can do.

Current situation: Possible DM in Europe still isn't responding. If he hasn't by next weekend, we'll run then without him. The coordinator, Chris, would then DM the following...

-No specific setting. Vanilla, any class and race.
    -Starting adventurers. 1st level characters, extended background not necessary.
    -Stat rolling by any method listed in the PHB or Player's Option: Skills and Powers. No tangledweb or rpgprofiler or anything like that; you're on the honor system here.
    -Acceptable secondary materials are again on the honor system. DM likes Skills and Powers, but also accepts any other non 3rd party materials, even including setting-specific materials. 3rd party materials you want to use should be submitted to the DM, though mostly so he can read up and understand the changes involved. Only very unbalanced materials will be denied.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Powers and Skills? Is that like proficiencies described in the PHB?

I'm flexible with times - but don't go out of your way to find a time that suits me. I'll work my best to try and fit in with you. That very tentative time you posted above, I think works well for me.

17. Felinoid

New developments, from Chris:

Alright, if I'm DMing, this weekend might be a little tricky because I have work Saturday evening. I can do it late Saturday afternoon or morning, or anytime Sunday.
    (Chris is east coast US, IIRC, so he'd be GMT -5.)
    Also, I don't know if you are using online character builders or not, but I'd like some kind of basic stats/description of the characters ahead of time.
    Any sort of "character bio" or "character history" would be really helpful as well, so I can try and flesh things out for our first session.

18. Felinoid

More info:

-Max gold and HP at first level
    -Time set for this Sunday, 1700(?) GMT
    -Non-Weapons proficiencies are used. Number of languages (determined by INT) are bonus proficiency slots. Your native (racial) language is free, but each additional costs a proficiency slot.
    -Characters can be posted in a new thread here. I'll make it, and then send the link to Chris. Please do it ASAP (at least the character bio part), so Chris can flesh things out.

19. Rotku

Okay, just confirming, as you've got that question mark there ;)

1700 GMT is 1pm EST. Is that the time you were thinking? That's better than I thought! Means it's 6am for me, not 5am!

20. Felinoid

Well, I'm not 100% sure of the time. But that is the *around* the time it'll be.

Character sheet thread is up, BTW.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.