1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Iron Golem troubles

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Faraaz, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm in the Black Raven Monastery and want to defeat the Iron Golems. What is their weakness?

Keep in mind, I'm following the JUPP Arcane Party, and am at effective level 15...or actual level 13...with a couple of squatted levels.

How do you beat them? I really want that extra XP!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They are one of the toughest opponents in the game. The main thing is that you need a +3 weapon (I think - whatever enchantment it is, is usually one higher than anything you've been able to get to this point in the unmodded game). One tactic is to wait until later in the game (not too much later) when you can buy such weapons then go back and take them on. I think there are some +5 bullets that are really good as well.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Level 13 means you have level 7 spells. You should have some good summons by now. Either summons or some insane buffing. Otherwise, there isn't really any way I would know.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Brilliant Short Sword +5!! I had it from Battle Squares and totally forgot about it.

Of course, I only had it because I have Ease of Use installed...but so many fights with no xp is a bit more than I can take...

Ah well...they're dead and gone now! :)

5. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, summons, if just to give the golems something to target, then haste, bull's str, rage if ya got it. Duel wield two +3 or better weapons with your best fighter. Remember, you can buff (bless, etc) to get better to hit, but its the damage that kills em. So use to giant str potions you have been sitting on (you didn't sell those did ya) and wail on em.

6. habsfan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm surprised to see no one mentioned Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. Basically, I just sent my least useful char(for golem hunting) to activate the golems and cast ORS on him once the big guys locked on. After that it was simply a matter of luring them away one at a time. Pally/fighter w/buffs equipped with the Club of Disruption made mincemeat out of 'em. ;)

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Ice Spear +4, Throwing Axe of Shocking Burst, Mace of Disruption (all from Battle Squares) will ignore the Iron Golems' DR. Keep your decoy upfront and have the heal scroll handy since he will be hurt. Fort saves are important to save from the effects of Golem gas. Use the gates as a bottle-neck so you only have to face one Golem at a time. I am sure they take elemental damage, so try those spells.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Funny, in HoF, there is a weapon which slays constructs and kegs (kegs have so many HP inHoF it is not funny!) upon hit, does it kill IGolems too?

9. Bronze Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yup Heart of Fury's Kegsplitter of Shaengarne Ford slays those Golems (and every other golems of the game) like they're nothing, such a good weapon to keep on your main tank.

In normal mode I usally zerg those guys with summons.

10. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can zerg them in HoF, too.

11. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    +3 (preferably higher) will bring them down and electricity will slow them down quite a bit. they're pretty much immune to everything except bludgeoning (IIRC) damage.

If you have ease of use then get hold of the iron bands that can produce the killer mimics and super kegs. The super kegs will give you +5 weaponry

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What does 'zerg' mean?

13. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zerg

To "zerg," a verb denoting the use of mass numbers to achieve an objective, has become a widely accepted term in a variety of other games, including Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, Dark Age of Camelot, and other multiplayer games.

14. Harbourboy

Surely the iron golems quickly munch through any summons you are able to conjure up? I found the bottleneck at the gate to be quite helpful but that involves making sure you deal with the Deurgar first, otherwise it's just plan suicide.

15. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    The iron golems certainly do a lot of damage, but just keep summoning Gelugons, Glabrezu, and Cornagons. They _will_ damage the golems, and you _will_ be able to recast them much faster than the golems can kill them. There are a lot of other guys in the area who will swarm you if the battle spreads, but a mass dominate or two should keep it under control.

Try to stay invisible/Sanctuary'ied when not casting spells.

16. Shrikant

The problem is not with their attacking power but with the gas clouds they release. That can kill multiple enemies without even trying. Undead and hellspawn are perhaps the only summons who can withstand that.
    That is why ranged weapons and spells are the safest to kill them with.

17. KevinS Gems: 1/31

so unless you're amping the game, fake levelling your characters or using cheat programmes to get overpowered gear, the Iron golems simply will kick your ass. That's that.

Best thing is not to activate them.

Get past them, don't open the tomb, go fight the dwarves, and go into the Underdark.
    Because is still Chap4, you can go *back* later.

In the Underdark, immediately there are merchants who sell weaponry that will chop into the golems (+3, +5, even a +6 axe), so go back.

I didn't find the tomb to be all that exciting treasure wise anyhow, especially given the brute pain of the golems.

18. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

KevinS, you doubt yourself too much. Non munchkin players can handle them, with proper tactics. You do get enough high powered weapons to go around, especially if you finish the battle squares and don't waste your cash on junk. I found high level undead held their ground against them, maybe not much damage, but they were uneffected by the gas and their own DR kept them alive long enough to make great meat shields while my character chipped away on them. Even crap low level summons who couldn't survive .001 hit from the golems still take the hit you could have. I flood every tough battle with the 6 max summons. Oncw the good ones run out, I start down the list. Druid animal summons, bears and such, can help a little. I like to drop some low level summons, spiders and such, near enemy archers and spell casters, just to give them something to think about.

19. KevinS Gems: 1/31

so my query then, is how any character, unmodded, could finish the battle square sequence past lvl4, mabye lvl5. Talking non HoF play.

I'll grant that there may be a way to do it, but I'm not clear how characters at lvl 7 or lvl 8 (end of Chap2) could effectively survive through sufficient waves of higher level monsters to get the shock axe, let alone anything past it.

So without that, no +3 or better weapons, other than a few sets of arrows, which is def not enough to whack all 4 of those bad mammajammas...

20. Shrikant

Get Stoneskin and Improved Invisiblity cast on your battling charecter. Then do Rank 6 first. You might have to caste them often. That gnome Zack in the Ice Wall area too can cast them on you.
    Once you get the Club of Disruption Do Ranks 5,7,9 & 10. The outsiders and undead will die if they fail their fort save; and this happens often. To make things easier cast bane, bless, emotion:dispair or any such save reducing spell.
    Definately do Rank 9 for Wand of Undead. With a total of 50 undead at your disposal you don't have to bother with lower summons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.