1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Coran good enough to be your party's only thief?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm considering keeping Imoen until I can find Coran, and replacing him with her.

Is he good enough? Can you get him at a low enough level so that he'll be able to handle the traps in Durlag's Tower later on?

TIA

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You either get Coran at level 3/3 or 5/5. In combination with the 20 dex the 60-100 extra skill points you get during the game should be enough.

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I find him quite lacking in the find/disarm trap department...

4. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Easily.

And as the game's best archer, he is quite possibly the single most powerful NPC follower in unmodded BG1 given the way the game is built, both for the sheer power of archery and the items that go along with it. As for other thieving skills, Coran is also a fantastic scout, especially with BG1's +Stealth items.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ahhh this is shameful, I did not remember seeing Coran. But do not mock me, this is my very first run through, I promise I will be able to find each and every NPC next time! Or so I hope! ;)

6. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I also find Coran lacking in the find traps department. The traps in Durlags and candlekeep are so annoying I like a mage with really high find traps. I also get annoyed carrying two thieves. I get around this by maxing imoens find traps and then dualling her to mage. Then I have the perfect, stream lined team.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Yes.

I did this last time I played BG, focussing on getting him ASAP. Turned out very successfully. His Disarm Traps may be low, but you should be able to find him soon enough to boost this up to sufficient levels.

In Cloakwood, not long before the Mines. ;)

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, he's on the first CW map, so I would say that's long before the mines. ;)

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    *shrug* Depends how you look at it. I meant that when you meet him you have almost reached the Mines stage of the game. I tend to do all of Cloakwood and the Mines together, without turning back, so when I see him, it isn't far for me. ;)

Purely in terms of distance you are probably more accurate though.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would take him on the basis of his being the best NPC archer in the game. Also, iirc, he's a good pickpocket.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you can pick Cronan up when he is level 3/3 he is definitely great to have as you can add more skill points in his trap skill, but if you are a higher level and pick him up as 5/5 than you miss out on selecting where his skill points should go.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    This is why, if you intend to take him, you should get to Cloakwood ASAP.

Edit: Spelling

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I usually have two thieves in one capacity or another. I just don't think you can have a good lone all-around thief unless single classed.

14. Medillen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Coran deals an great deal of damage when backstabbing (done over 70 just an hour ago... with the long sword of the bounty hunter in Nashkel). Being also the best archer makes him quite potent. He just lacks defense. For the trap/disarm I get imoen ro 60% then multi class to mage. It's doing fine by me.

15. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Don't go into Durlag's without some potions.

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

you could always go with scs...it has an option that allows you to allocate NPC stats and proficiencies from level 1(they start at level 1 when you get them and are given the right amount of experience to put them on par with you).

scs= sword coast strategems if you didn't know

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would think using an editor on the thief stats would be easier than scs.

18. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

True, but if you like what SCS does anyways, why not use that function.

19. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've been curious about Coran for a long time, and I've finally played straight through the plot, doing (almost) no side quests, and got him at his lower level of 3/3. His thieving stats at this point are:

Open Locks: 60%
    Stealth: 78%
    Find Traps: 20%
    Pickpocket: 40%

Since he can reach Thief Level 8, that gives 100 skill points to allocate eventually. Suppose I were to put 60 of those on Find Traps, giving 80%, with 40 points left for other things. Is 80% good enough on this stat? Or will he be spread too thin, meaning I should keep a second thief?

And if so, how would Alora do as the second thief--another character I've been curious about--assuming I continue to stick to the plot line, ignore side quests, and get to her quickly?

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Other than Durlag's Tower, the game doesn't test your Find Traps too hard. I can't remember exacty how much you need for the non-Tower parts of the game, but I would rather like having at least 90% in Find Traps. This would give you 30% to stick in Open Locks. If you want to get Coran to be able to handle all the locks and traps out there, you'll have to neglect his other skills. It is up to you if you feel they are important enough to justify a second thief.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.