1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Diablo 2 any fun ...now?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by chevalier, Jun 29, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I've never played it, but I can get it now. Is it worth playing? Not the storyline, for obvious reasons :rolleyes: , but the graphics, the sound, the interface and all?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, numerous people will disagree with me, but - NO!

Graphics are dated, which would be forgiveable if the story was good, but..

Sound and music were better in the original. But maybe the story...

...there's a story? Well, who cares, as long as the gameplay is varied...

:sleep: (Although the controls are very easy to learn.) Well, maybe no points for gameplay.

Oh, but maybe there are lots of interesting quests!...

...unless you intend to play the game more than once.

Like I said, you may get some differing opinions. :D

Get Divine Divinity instead.

3. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I will have to agree with Splunge on this one. The only replay value in it is the character creation and possibly the discovery of new, interesting items.

The actual gameplay is pretty boring and the graphics are not worth the money. The sound is average.

It is an extremely simple game to play and there is not that much skill involved. So, you are looking for that kind of game, I recommend it. Otherwise, do not bother with it.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I agree with everything the above people said.....BUT.

It's still Diablo, the graphics were out dated when the game came out, never bothered me.

The whole point of the game is to kill *a lot* of enemies and the thrill to search for cool items. No one cares about the story, in fact there isn't one, there is only item finding which can be a good thing and a bad thing (depending on what you are finding).

If you are a hardcore role player you shouldn't buy it.

If you are someone who needs to kill some time every few months, this could be your game.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I prefer games with a good story, but still found D2 a good game and have never regretted buying it. (Maybe a few times after getting insta-gibbed :D ) The point is to kill enemies to gain levels, skills, and abilities, not to mention trying to find those ûber-elite S&M Axe of Ultimate Doom +1000. :shake:

But frankly; even though it is a good game, I would rather wait for Diablo 3.

6. Talon[BNR] Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] yea i gotta agree diablo 2 d2-lod realy sucks i should know been playing stupid game for sometime
    , i perfer iwd2/bg2 at least theres stuff to do, uests, story/plots, in d2 just random, tradeing sucks if your online realms, open b.net has to many hackers, single player to boreing, so if u want a game with story/plots/quests stay with iwd2/bg2 i am

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It all depends on how cheap you can get it. I personally wouldn't ever play it again, but if it's cheap enough you may as well pick it up and see for yourself.

Otherwise, don't bother.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's worth it, Chev. Especially now that it's so cheap. Pick up the expansion if you can, because I think the 2 new classes are a lot of fun and it adds several cool features the original did not. Actually, I'm not sure why I just told you that as a selling point...I think we all know you'll just play a Paladin anyway. ;)

It's a good game. There's nothing in the way of roleplay in it...but that's not, and was never, the point of the game. It's fun, the graphics are cool (if outdated), and it's a well-done game. Get it.

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I bought it a year ago and have started the game many times with different characters. I have never reached any farther than the 3rd chapter before getting bored of doing always the same, though. IMHO, D2 game is cool for powergamers, and great fun if you can get some friends and play a multiplayer game, trying group combat tactics and stuff, but otherwise... :rolleyes:

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's a fun LAN game.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You people are absolutley crazy. D2LOD is one of the best games ever made. I think it was Gamespot that recently ran a tournament to determine the best game of all time and D2 made it all the way to the semifinals before losing.

About the only people who seem to have a problem with D2 are purist RPG freaks. The game is a hybrid rpg/action game. If you find some good people to play with you will have a blast (and there are plenty of them). Of course it is true if you end up playing with some jerks it will not be as much fun.

Good Luck and Enjoy

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I would say the storyline alone makes it worth it, but it requires some knowledge of the world of diablo.

the game is like any other hack n' slash, the goal of the game is to boost your character as much as possible. Action as described above :)
    Instead of rerolling a million times in the cRPG, this would be a good game. I think it's a good game every now and then.. even though I've wasted countless hours on it

13. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Diablo 2 is a fun game for a bit but IMHO (and I've finished it) it get's boring rather quick.
    The combat is simple but can be good fun during the more spectacular battles but I'd recommend getting Sacred instead.
    I've just bought Sacred; it's like Diablo but Bigger, Better and with a potentially interesting storyline (haven't gotten very far in that one yet).
    Back on topic: it's nice enough - graphics aren't spectacular especially by todays standards, but not yet so poor that they're a hindrance to enjoying the game.
    The areas and enemies are pretty good as is the sound - neither are grand but pretty good.
    Characters are diverse and interesting, all with cool skills and looks.
    A good budget or semibudget title if you want a lighter breed of combat RPG but definitely not an epic-class game like BG.
    If you can, get Sacred, if not, D2 will be a decent pass-time till you do.
    :borg:

14. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's a decent pass-the-time enjoyment.

More fun is to check out all the skills every class have, Sorceress... yum! :p

Regarding Sacred: Sacred is Diablo 2s overrated, bugfilled younger sister/brother with better graphics... but not necessarily a better story.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For single-player, Diablo 2 is definitely not worth it. It was a torture to finish it for me, while I immensely enjoyed the original Diablo, by comparison. Also, D2 seems to have managed to look worse than the original Diablo. Removal of any unique items from single-player was another major disappointment for me.

So, in short, if you intend to play it online with friends, sure, it can be fun. But D2 was quite obviously made for that only.

16. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually just started playing Diablo 2 in single player mode and I'm quite enjoying it.

Of course, it's early days yet (about halfway through part 1) and I imagine long before the end of the game the sheer repetiveness will have driven me to distraction.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly. Just wait till you get to the jungle...

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah yes, the jungle. It's all coming back to me now. Pure tedium.

Tal's first comment reminded me that I forgot to mention something in my first post - I only play D2 in single-player, and without the expansion. Multi-player is supposed to be much better, but I never play multi-player games. And like Tal, I really enjoyed D1.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huh? I don't know what kind of luck you had Tal, but I found tons of unique items (ie with the gold lettering, not yellow or green). Not tons, but at least 4 or so per runthrough.

And I, too, liked D1 better as well. Probably because there was never a game like it before. And I don't know why people complain about D2's graphics. It did come out almost 5 years ago, and was a great improvement over the original.

But yes - I hated the jungle too. Could never put my finger on why.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For me, it was the map overlay that I always use. The other areas have (mostly) black backgrounds, and the map overlay had white lines, which showed up distinctly on the overlay. In the jungle, you had (mostly) green and blue backgrounds, with the map overlay similarly in blue and green (to differentiate between forests and streams) and it was difficult to figure out where you were going.

Also, the other areas had defined levels, whereas in the jungle, sometimes both the areas before you go to the jungle city were on either side of the original jungle area, and you had to run back through the original jungle area to get to the third area. In fact, on my first run through the jungle, I actually went to the third jungle area before going to the second. I didn't even realize it until I got to the way point.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.