1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it wrong to use overpowered weapons?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Alienboy, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Some people think it is wrong to uses certain weapons cause they are too good and unbalanced. I myself oppose this but wish to hear the opinions of others.

[This message has been edited by Alienboy (edited January 11, 2002).]

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Only weapon in BG2 that I think is extremly overpowered is the Holy Avenger.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"Holy Avenger"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(KillSword)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The killsword is not a legit weapon you could get in the game, it's pure cheat. So it's pointless to discuss how overpowered it is.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't like to use overpowered weapons because every clumsy idiot is able to kill a troll or a golem with crom instantly - how demanding. Most of these instant kill weapons are *boring* me like hell - so I don't use them. When you have fun with them: Splendid for you - it's your game.

And as for ordinary overpowered stuff like c'fury, the wave, staff of the magi and carsomyr, oh well ... handle with care.

This is applicable even more on the infamous cheater weapon killsword.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 09, 2002).]

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think Crom Faeyr is overoverpowered, but.. er..hey! ;) I don't mind! In only 1 or 2 minutes I whacked 32 soldiers to death in ToB (Yes, in ToB...Just to mention how powerful it is) and my screen kept showing me chops of meat shooting around.

7. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I haven't found the pieces for crom. I don't need it. I killed Irenicus already. My first time through.

8. Alienboy Gems: 7/31

But the killsword is rumered to be in the game. Used by the unkillable thief in Shadowthieves. I agree instant kill weapons are dull.

9. I love bg2 Banned

a very over powered item for a sorcerer or any mage for that matter is the robe of vecna and also most of the "over powered weapons" in the game are either very expensive or hard to get so there usaly well earned

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It is not wrong to use overpowered weapons. It is simply boring.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] The killsword has a function in the hands of Arcanis Gath: It is there to prevent people from ruining the game by stupidity.

When you refuse to join Bohdi and join the shadow thiefs instead and, let's say, try to pickpocket Aran Linvail and he notices and turns hostile, you won't be able to finish the game for you lost your option to go to spellhold. After beeing massacred a few times most players will understand that it's better to talk and enjoy a nice game to the end.

It is better to kill the player's party than leaving him frustrated with a game impossible to finish ... and that's why Arkanis Gath does not have this sword when you fight him when joining bohdi - he's killable then.

The reason for this solution lies within the two possible game paths: Either you choose to join the thiefs or Bohdi (evil way), there's no compromise.

And that's the secret of the killsword - so, just like Imoen's girdle, Arkanis' killsword and Edwin's amulet (before you start a new topic about this one as well) have a function where they are placed but are cheater's items when placed elsewhere and simply not supposed to be used by YOU, the gamer.

PS:
    the function of Edwin's amulet is to add the powers of a red wizard of Tay ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 10, 2002).]

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont have any problems with "overpowered" weapons. Sure the chars in BG seems so stockpile every legendary weapon ever made in Forgotten Realms but they are in the game and should be enjoyed.
    The only weapon I have a slightt problem with is Celestial Fury, this weapon doesnt belong here. Its a hastejob its like the develepors said "damn we dont have any good katanas lets make one and put it in the game before the ships" no description and easy to get. And it is imo extremely powerful. The stun ability is silly.

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Crom Fayer is the worst. A weapon in your off hand that sets your Strength to an incredible 25...... makes every slash a hit and always much damage. This weapon is overpowered. When you like powerweapons and play a game easily, you can use it but I don't like powergaming and overpowered weapons, they make the game too easy.

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ragusa: Aaahhhhh...

I tried whacking one of the shadow thieves before joining any guild, and while wielding the killsword. He wiped out my party, twice. The only thing I could say, up until now, was WTF?!
    I have been wondering about that, but learned my lesson after two times, so it was a good job on the programmers part.

As Chekov would say, "Weary, Weary In-toresting"...

15. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Ive no problem with overpowered weapons; these characters are on their way to becoming the most powerful people in the world and so it seems appropriate that they have the tools for the job. Remember that its no picnic to get some of these items either; theres no way i could have got crom faeyr when I was a novice player.

Of course, as has been said above, everyone has the right to play the game the way they want to, and I think the fact that you can play as an omnipotent demigod or as a bewildered underdog is simply testament to the game's diversity.

16. Alienboy Gems: 7/31

Well said Will. I change my appearance to suit my demigod. He looks like an avatar and has the heart of the Bhaal.

17. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think that if these items make the game too easy you should set the difficulty higher. I strongly doubt you are already at the maximum level. I finished the game on the impossible level, and it was quite a challenge even with the overpowered items

[edit:]Oops I said wasn't instead of was

[This message has been edited by StressedE (edited January 15, 2002).]

18. Lord Sarevok Guest

I've never actually put Crom Faeyer together. I Found those strength items to be much more useful on my party members.

19. LiquidusSnake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I never found all the peices

20. Ragusa

Media:
    They are easy to find actually: hammer of lightning in the ithilid lair in atlathla ;) (I'm not going to tell you everything), girdle of frostgiant strength (underdark) and gauntlets of ogre power (planar sphere).

[Don't forget the scroll with it's name in the Temple Ruins - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 15, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.