1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this bug surmountable? (spoiler?)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Drathen, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Drathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have done several searches on this forum and found no references to the bug described below. BG2 is an excellent game but, like most games of this genre, it is loaded with pesky bugs. Up until now, the bugs I've experienced have been mere annoyances that are easy to work around. Today I've encountered a bug that totally prevents me from moving forward in the game and I am frustrated!

I have spent nearly two months and countless hours on this one adventure. My party is working on chapter four (after completing many, many quests), and is now inside the Asylum. We've just completed being judged by an apparition and would love nothing more than to kill Irenicus. We travel to Irenicus' laboratory, talk to Saemon Havarian, walk around the laboratory, and go up some stairs to the inmates' cells. Once I enter the cell area (where the cellkeeper Lon(?) is located), Irenicus immediately teleports next to my party and initiates the same dialogue as he did when he took me to Imoen. All of the responses that are available to me are exactly the same as the first conversation. Then eventually he puts my party to sleep, takes us to the laboratory (for the second time), and continues on with the dream. So I go from having completed most of the Asylum to just arriving there... Its basically a feedback loop. I've tried installing the latest patch, but the problem still persists. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any suggestions? I hope this explanation makes sense... If clarification is needed, please let me know.

Drathen

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nope, you described it in detail. I have never heard of such a bug in BG2 before. If the patch didn't fix it I don't know...
    I suppose tech support might be the only option in this case.
    Is there no way to for you to avoid meeting with Jon? Like acting real fast and offering the jailkeep money, or something like that?

3. Drathen Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Nope. I've already tried that. As soon as I finish talking with the jailkeeper, Jon shows up and ruins everything. I'll try to give tech support a call tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Drathen Gems: 1/31

Where do I go for tech support?

Bioware?
    Black Isle?
    Interplay?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Either Bioware or Interplay. Black Isle just publishes the stuff so they won't be able to help you.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think the Interplay website can tell you how to contact the company for technical support questions. I remember playing Email tag with someone from support about a faulty disk or bug or something in Baldur's Gate. There should be some kind of link on the site, but if not, I sent my Emails to support@interplay.com However, the people I were getting replies from were idiots. No help at all. However, you may have better luck. I hope so :D

7. Drathen Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Here's Interplay's response to my problem...

Dear Gamer,
    This 'bug' is something we have never run across before (not during QA testing, or in the 3 months the game has been out). It is most likely a corrupted game file. Even if you did a full install, the files still had to come off of your CD's to start with. Thanks.

Sincerely,

James Kompare
    Interplay Entertainment Corp.

Before I got this message, I received duplicate emails telling me how to optimize my CDROM utilization. I finally fired back an email saying this is software related (a bug) and not hardware. Above is the response I got and it doesn't sound encourgaging. I'm afraid to start the game over again because how do I know I won't run into the same problem? At this point, I don't know what to do!

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well if you're out of options, you might as well try using the cheat console to teleport yourself out of there to another area. That might save the day.
    The cheat codes you need are at http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/cheats.php
    The editor ShadowKeeper probably also has an option to move your characters to another area. Check that out.
    Hopefully the Irenicus trigger won't be screwed up for you later in the game...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. Drathen Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the pointer Taluntain, perhaps I'll give Shadowkeeper a try. Maybe I just wasn't meant to play RPGs, for I seem to find a problem with each one I attempt to complete. We'll see what happens!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.