1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this game worth getting?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Dougfather, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Dougfather Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am going to get another of Black Isle's games for Christmas. I've already got Torment and Baldur' Gate 1, should I buy Icewind or go straight for Baldur's gate 2 ( or any other game- suggestions please). On the torment board they said Icewind was just hack and slash, no story, is this true?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The game has a lot of fighting versus larger groups of monsters, and then it also has a lot of level ups. But there is a story behind it, and I think it's a rather cool one to. If you get yourself the Heart of Winter expansion as well, you will have a lot more gameplay and nicer graphics in the form of higher resolutions.

I haven't played BG2, but Icewind Dale is definitly a game you should have.

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Get both of them...IWD is a GREAT game, but it is DIFFERENT than BG. IWD is more of a linar plot line with no joinable NPC's. I would play IWD first, and then move on to BG2. YES THE GAME IS WORTH GETTING!

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, i'd have to agree with Llandon.

IwD is like reading through a good book. You're playing the book, reading page by page.

BG2 has a lot more side-quests/other areas, which you will miss completely if you're just trying to get to the page. You can get really side tracked on BG2, but IwD keeps you on track all the time.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That is mostly because IWD is simple hack n slash with a story more designed to hold the game together than anything else. I know it sounds wierd to say that about the game now that we really know what simple dnd hack n slash is after por:2. But the basics of game play is IWD isn't that much better. Throw a bunch of monsters at the party. The story seems infinately better in comparison, but then comparing it to more in depth RPGs, it pales in comparison. IWD can be fun. My first time through IWD, I had to quit before I got to Chapter One. Six home brewed PC's with nothing interesting about them and simple gaming made for a boring game. But try downloading some sound packs from BG for your IWD characters, and keep going to Khaldahar, and you'll find the game much more enjoyable. I never would have called it great, but it was enjoyable enough (great compared to certain other CRPG's I've seen lately) that I didn't feel slighted.

I think I'd wait till they packaged IWD and HoW together though before I would suggest buying the game. HoW is just too much for what you get on top of IWD. Go with BG2 and TOB and finish out the storyline you started in BG. They are wonderful CRPGs, among the best ever made. While you can always find minor things to pick on them about, on the whole there is no reason to complain. A pure joy to play indeed.

6. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I do agree with Crawl. If you like hack'n slash then you will love this game. If you like to play your own characters or you don't want to play through a game 5+ times to get the jist of how each character class could play it then you will like this. BG2 is great as well so you will be in a win win situation. Just go on preference.Story equals BG2 and TOB. Kill, Kill, Kill equals IW and HOW. If you want to go out on a limb and try a truly great game with a sci-fi/fantasy kick then go for Arcanum.

[This message has been edited by Slackertoast (edited November 19, 2001).]

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Get it. It's like Diablo2, BG style. lack of subplots was disappointing though. I disliked Poquelin being the enemy. You're left wondering "who the hell was that?!" I woulda been more entertained if they had made it, say... orrick the gray?

8. jesper898 Guest

get both of them, theyre some of my fav games
    and theyre both good in different ways

BG2: is more non-linear like:hmm should i go help that cute lass nalia or kill the slavers?wait i could go kill firkraag
    IWD:iwd is more linear like:well im off to the vale of shadows can't get to dragons eye before ive been there

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] :lol: haha Jesper! That statement about IWD definitely explains the whole game! You don't have a choice... just keep sinnin and killin hehe

10. jesper898 Guest

11. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IWD is a lot more linear plotlined dungeon-busting, while BGII, with all it's subquests is more like 'gettin into your character and interaction with other characters.'
    A romance plot in IWD is therefore unthinkable.
    So, if you're more into characterbuilding (by which I don't mean getting your stats as high as possible) buy BGII, if you're into an icy atmosphere, great battles and good music go get IWD and HOW.

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited December 15, 2001).]

12. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] YES! IWD is Amazing, and Get The expansion.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Icewind Dale is like *playing* your way through a book. If you don't like books, then most likely, you'll not like IwD. Bg2 is a little less like playing through a book, and more like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, where you're not exactly sure what you're supposed to be doing, but you're doing it really fast...

Icewind Dale beat me over the head with a fire extinguisher, five times, before knocking me down the stairs.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Doh. Icewind Dale is playing through a book. Haven't you guys seen the chapter cinematics? :rolleyes:

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

IWD is a very good book though, and in many ways better than both BG and BG2.

Although my BG2 campaign has been resurected over the last few months, they've finally made it to Underdark, it's only taken a year.... I started and finished IWD in about 4 weeks. It's just like one of those books you couldn't put down! Social life? What social life?

16. Reaper Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I saw IWD in a store ooh about a year ago, bought it and well it hasn't stopped. I was totally taken by it and ended getting BG, BG 2 and all the expansion packs.Thats just a personal preference, but hey buy it.

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Bg2 is good, but the storyline is a little week.
    Bg1 has a better storyline, but the gameplay just isn't there if you played through Bg2 first (sigh).

There's not much else I can say about it. Black Isle won me over with IwD. I'm a hardcore Ad&d geek now, and I used to laugh/smirk at people playing the Magic card game.

No longer.

18. Mystfyre Gems: 1/31

MAGIC RULEZ!!!!!!!!!
    ne, ive never played bg or anything like that, but i got icewind dale and HOW, and i like em, but i hate the fact that u dont got a chocie. and i do luv to read. :D

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

"Hate the fact that you don't got a choice"

What? Where? Who?

:confused: :roll:

20. Nathan Gems: 1/31

Eithr of them is good. I've finished IWD (last summer!), but I'm only on Chapter 2 of BGII!!! Unfortunately, I've exams, so BGII has to wait til July. If you want a slightly more action orientented game, try Diablo. It's fairly good! Not much in the stats department, but great for action. Plus, the dungeons are randomly generated with different maps and items every time you play (apart from plot related items). I'd reccomend IWD, as you get to config all of the characters, not just the main one. Anyone have any opinions?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.