1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Isometric or 1st Person View?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Alright, you're part of a new company that is designing an RPG game based on 3rd edition rules and will be set in The Forgotten Realms. Here is the delima.

Isometric view like BG2, Ultima Series

OR

1st Person view like Quake, NWN

As a gamer, what do you enjoy better and why do you enjoy it?

Syl...

2. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i dont like either of them. i cant stand totally first person veiw because i cant see my character, which i really like to do. what fun is it if you cant gaze upon your golden plate decked fighter with a glorious helm and a shining long sword at his side?
    BG2's veiw is better in my opinion, but not THAT great. my personal favorite is that of ASHERONS CALL, where you are looking at the back of your character and you can switch to 1st person, or veiws where you can see your character running around from a top down veiw or whatever. ye need some options!

"Do not question me mortal, for I will be walking among the stars long after your bones turn to dust"

3. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

I agree with what Elverath says. If only there was a way to make BG2's view more 3D and interactive. Oh well, just have to wait until the tech catches up I guess...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have always preferred the isometric view. I think I like to know what's going on around the party without having to control the character to physically look around. I like the tactical possibilities that come with the overhead view versus the twitch combat of a Quake or the positional irrelevancy of the old-style Wizardry-type game.

I played all the Ultimas through 8, but didn't like Ultima Underworld because of the 1st person perspective. I played the orignal Wizardry (on my Apple IIe - boy am I dating myself!) and the Bard's Tale and enjoyed them, but not enough to get sequels or other games similar to them. I have played BG1 and TOtSC, IWD and now BG2 and have enjoyed them immensely.

I'm not sure if I can explain very well what turns me off to the 1st person perspective, but the over all feel of the isometric games I've played have always been more enjoyable to me than the 1st person perspectives. And now that I have that bias, and a lot less time to play games, I don't usually consider 1st person perspective games as a prospective purchase...

5. homesick-alien Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i love the look of games like baldurs gate it allows far more detail than in 3d games just look at commndoes for another that was 2d isometric and that looked fantastic because of the detail that went into the backgrounds would you prefer a further 2 year dev cycle between games just to make it 3d also one of bg big appeals is that it doesnt need a monster pc to run thus appealing to the mass market you start righting 3d rpg games with this many locations and you suddenly nedd a 800mhz pc to play em alright for some like me but id be pissed if all i could afford was a 300 .
    rpgs like bg have always seemed to be about quality gameplay over fancy graphical techniques sure itd be nice but just look at the bugs that have slipped through in bg2 and then imagine how may there would be if it were 3d.
    i dunno though we could all dream about a full 3d world rpg but i doubt wether the depth would be there for some hardcore gamers.

6. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like the bg2 style... not because its awsome. but because it doesnt rape system resources, but yet still lets you see the action close enough to see whats going on. I dont know about the rest of ya here. But im not rich so i get to upgrade my computer once maybe 2 times a year, which is just enough to keep it up to date with the software. But i dont wann buy a game thats gunna require a 1 ghz just to run fairly decent.

7. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] God...Games that need massive system specs kick my arse. Especially if it is a sequal to one of my favourites. Shouldn't people who played the originals be able to play the sequals, and not these Johnny-come-lately rich people with PIII 1000s or whatever

8. I have a 366 that I got a year ago and every FPS looks awful on my PC and I can't get the newer ones to work at all because of my sucky graphics card which i can't remove because its a freakin e-machine and the whole freakin motherboard is welded together so i'm stuck with a 4mb graphics card until after christmas when hopefully I'll be able to get a new pc but i can still play Baldur's Gate 2 and Diablo 2 on my machine just fine thank you very much so I'd have to say no to the whole fps rpg thing well nevermind anyway i hate everquest

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I prefer the isomectric view, it's a lot more user friendly i think than the FPP style of games like Might and Magic 8.
    As for the games that need such high specs these days, well i think it's a sign of the times, so much id being done and improved. Just look at BG compared to BG2.(i have to play another character through them both)
    Unfortunately while BG is still very playable, the look hasn't aged very well :(

10. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

NeverWinter Nights is 1st person? WOW, I think I'm gonna be shell shocked for a while. I did not hear that about NWN. Hmmmm.

Fantasy RPG's appear to be more appealing if the gamer can easily visualize the characters & the surroundings (360degrees) with all the wonders of 3D. Somewhat like 'miniatures' & the Pencil/paper version found in AD&D. Miniatures 'enhance' the gaming experience. Also the 'profile' of the true Fantasy Role Playing Gamer is a bit different from other 'gamer profiles'. We like to view the saga of the game in everyway possible. We enjoy coming up with creative names, seeing how armor looks on a charater, spell effects, melee actions, etc. I think all of these are presented much better in the Isometric 'top down' view.

I can only conclude that a lot of the success found with BG1, TOSC, IWD & BG2 is the graphic engine (Bioware Infinity Engine) as well as the 'top down' isometric view. They no doubt had reasons for using this view and it has indeed helped seperate them from all other CRPG's to date.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From the Interplay NWN web site:

7.06 - What is the game's viewing perspective?

Neverwinter Nights uses a 3rd person, ¾-down, isometric view, similar but different from that of Baldur's Gate. The main difference is that the engine used for Neverwinter Nights is fully 3D, allowing you to rotate the camera around your character and zoom in and out.

Sounds pretty good to me...

12. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

BlackThorne, great job. I don't even want to go into how something like that would've 'irked' me for weeks :). The update from the website is welcome (ohhhhh so welcome) news. I am looking forward to NWN more than any other RPG I've had an interest in, and didn't want that Might & Magic feel or worse...when playing it.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    No problem Draco; glad to help someone with the same concerns as me :)

14. The Kurgan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like the Top Down look because
    1. i can see what my guys look like.
    2. I can control combat much better.

Now depending on the type of top down game it is, it can be 3d or 2d.

I prefer the 2d because more amazing resolutions and effects can be done to appease the imagination.

The 3d look makes characters look unreal because everything was done with Wire Frames.

3d Technology has not progressed yet where realism is the main factor and not these funky shapes running around with Bitmaps for their body parts.

2d is much better for looks and making our RPG worlds look real.

The Kurgan

15. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] There's an old saying in the computer biz:
    Software sells hardware, hardware sells software. In other words there's money to be made if both games and hardware are on an ever upward technology spiral.
    So if you want to make money go 3D, if you want to please me (and I suspect the majority of gamers) stick with isometric and put all your creativity into plots, well rendered locations etc. How about 'real' water that you can wade into, sail on etc?
    How about monsters (and characters by way of spells/potions) that can realy fly (not hover 3" above ground like the Pseudo - dragons) That should keep them busy!
    If the 'old' Infinity engine is soon to be obsoleted I hope they put it into the public domain - The Baldurs Gate Construction kit?

16. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I say no way to the Might and Magic 8 style.
    The game was absolute rubbish (trash) and it reminded me of the old eye of the beholder view.
    Top down is far better and easier to use.
    If we go for a quake style rpg there is the problem with magic and how to control and display it in real time.
    Keep RTS and RPG top down unless we can have more great games like DEUS EX where the whole magic thing just isn't anything to do with the game.

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Interesting. As an avid RPG gamer myself, as well as a lover of grand story telling (one reason I enjoy being a DM), over all the years I have played CRPGs, I must agree with Isometric myself.

This view gives the player many things.

First, it adds depth to the "little" things in the world that you would otherwise not see in a 1st person view.

Second, we all like to see character development and know we are developing visually. Isometric allows this by showing armor changes, weapon changes, the general avatar advancement stage. It keeps one interested in wanting say, pitch black armor or gold armor. It continues to add to the depth of the view and game world.

Third, you see more of the world around you. True, it gives you a more tactical advantage but if a fog of war is done properly, it only serves as seeing the entire party all at the sametime and not the hidden mage around the corner summoning monsters to send your way.

NWN's view is also interesting and thanks for correcting my mistake. It is not a 1st person view game as Blackthorne TA posted from the FAQ. I think this view works too, but I'm not so sure as to how much detail we will see with this engine. Lighting effects are by far the best I've seen in any CRPG to date. Sun slicing through the trees, dynamic shadowing effects, etc.

Overall, the detail brought by an isometric engine is very appealing.

Syl...

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I definitely like the isometric view...It gives the game a more epic feel to it. I like to be able to everythingthat's going on around me.

Plus the effects of speall and things looks really cool in the iso view. First person games are okay if I was only playing one person or on a network or something...But since in the BG games you control 5-6 at a time, the iso is better for that.

19. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] This brings me to a question I posted on the NWN forum.
    How many characters will you be able to play on NWN single player game ?
    Interplay say they are undecided.

20. Wraith Blackthorne Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree with IronEagle. I like the top-down with some 3D animations. This games is still very artistic without being a 3D overkill kind of thing. I would rather have an awesome story line, and A large emersive world rather than some 3D eyecandy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.