1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira-not a romance question!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by tabari, Jan 14, 2004.

1. tabari Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I really need her as a tank because my party is kinda magic heavy this time.
    In previous games I have always treated her as a tank but her kill percentage is around 3%. Not good enough this time around.
    I want to keep her from a roleplaying perspective, but I just don't know how to use her effectively.
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

iron skins, STR-boosing item, dual weild scimitars and clubs.

before you can dual weild effectvely, grab a shield for an even better AC (she routinely has the best AC in my parties).

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For a good chunk of the game, I'd give her a shield as well. You start with no proficiency points in dual-wielding, which means she will suffer a -4 penealty on her main hand, and a -8 penalty on her off hand. So I definitely recommend against dual wielding until you get at least two stars in two weapon style. Even then, there is really no advantage in dual wielding that outweighs the use of a shield unless you have a weapon like Belm equipped in your off-hand. Belm gives your main hand weapon one more attack per round, so it's well worth it.

My advice on dual wielding is this: If you find a weapon that does something other that swing once around - if it actually helps your character in some way - then use it. Otherwise, go for a shield, or wield a two handed weapon. Personally, I would give her either the Staff of Rynn or Staff of Arundel (if you have the bonus merchants) proficiency in two handed weapon style, then get her the spear of withering, and eventually either the Staff of the Woodlands, or Staff of the Ram.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

First of all. You said that your party is more magic heavy this time. So I assume you´ve had more tanks the other times. And since that has been the case there´s no wonder her % is that low. But if she is the only tank that % will get higher even with the same equipment.

As for the equipment for her...
    For starters I´d go with either club or scimitar along with a shield. And put the prof points on two weapon style. And IIRC she only has one prof point on scimitars so if you can raise that to two also. And then I´d equip her with Valiant (if you have the bonus merchants that is) and Belm. I haven´t tried this, but she should get two extra attacks. I cant see any reason why she shouldn´t.
    This should make her alittle more "hack ´n slash" than before.

[Edit]
    Just realized that Valiant may be a TDD scimitar.

[ January 14, 2004, 16:36: Message edited by: Duke Eltan ]

5. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Duke, I may be an idiot, but what's Valiant? You say it comes with the bonus merchants, but I've had both Joluv and Deidre installed for a long time and they don't sell anything called Valiant, not in my game anyway. What does it do exactly?

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

As I said, it might be a TDD scimitar.

Anyway, when talking to Bernard in the Copper Coronet you can say something like: "Can I see what you have in the shelves over there?"

It does:
    Damage: 1d8+2
    Thac0: +3
    Extra Attack Per Round.

7. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Definately TDD.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Just did a complete search for "Valiant" with DLTCEP. There is no string for that name in the dialog.tlk file, nor is there is any item file for it. That's a mod item.

Don't bother dual-wielding with Jaheira. You're better off going with a staff or spear in the unmodded game. She's good with a shield too as her hitpoints are a bit on the low side for a front-line fighter.

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Remember in a lot of cases she might not even need armor, you can give her robes or anything like that, that might give her better abilities than most armors, and then cast spirit armor on her, (it acts like full plate and gives +1 to all saves).

Magic users cleric/mage all have spells to summon tanks to help her out as well as increase her defensive/offensive capabilities.

These include - Spirit Armor/Protection from Magic Energy/etc etc. (I can't remember them all I'm kinda sick :p )

10. tabari Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Thank you guys! Lot of cool advice.
    I never thought about boosting her strength before. 15 is sorta low for a tank. She's always running around just a couple of pounds under her limit.
    Btw, does it mean anything when the weight of their pack turns yellow? Like, do they lose attack speed or anything like that? Maybe that is why she is so slow. Maybe I'm putting full plate on an npc that shouldn't wear it.
    At the beginning I always give her a club because thats where her proficiency points are, but maybe clubs aren't worth much.
    I mean, which is better:a club with 2 prof. pts, or a scim with just one pt? I think that's how her pts are at the beginning of the game.
    Is there a scim +1 in Athkatla? My plan is to go pick Solaufein(yummy ;) ) early in the game and then go to Umar Hills etc, so it will be a while before she gets Belm.
    Never even thought about Spirit Armor before!
    Also, are there any robes for Druids? I don't remember running across any before.
    Anyway, I think I'm gonna get dusted this time around. I'm gonna have to go through the underdark with a sorta low level party. Should be interesting!

:D

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Ribald sells a Scimitar +1 in the Adventurers Mart.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@tabari

Those package weight numbers turning yellow means you are close to your max. strength. If I am not mistaken, it wont hinder you in any way though.

There are also +1 Scimitars available from that merchant in the room above Geylan Bayle (sp??) - the fellow who offers you help in finding Imoen when first entering the slums. And you can steal those Scim from said merchant - which my Jester does every time. :D No need to waste your precious gold on Ribalds stuff.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.