1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira Weapon Choice

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Nivek The Mad, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Embarrassed, but need help :hmm:
    I have:
    main (assassin w s swrd n xbow)
    Minsc (Lilarcor, Flail of Ages, Srd o' Chaos)
    Yoshimo (katana +, fast bow)
    Aeire (daggers, +2 sling)
    and Jaheira, PRESENTLY swinging a +4 staff of Rynn. Nice toy, but she gets beat up a lot in crowded sewer/dungeon fights. She needs a shield, and I know I can pick up a few shortly. Should I spend the cash to actually BUY her a nice scimitar or go fetch her one? :money: I have enjoyed using her as a mini-tank as much as a spellcaster, and would like to continue to do so.
    SPoilers OK - Thanks, all! :wave:

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

In Trademeet one of the merchants sells Blackblood: Club+3, +3 damage with additional +3 acid damage. Great weapon.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

OK! :)

I know just the tools, you should put proficiencies in tho handed weapons and quarterstaff (to get that woodlands staff later on).

For now you should steal the Blackblood club in Trademeet (a +3club with additional +3 acid damage, excellent for killing trolls)

Give her a shield, lots to choose from, here's a list

Dragon Shield
    Shield of Harmony
    Sentinel (must! though can first be aquired in underdark)

tanking with her is great, just get up some ironskin and she'll be just fine ;)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 20, 2001).]

4. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

yes it is worth it but here are some of the best scimitars in the game though incase i spoil i will not reveal their location :)

Scimitar +2: 'Rashad's Talon'
    Named for Prince Rashad, former ruler of a minor principality to the East, this blade and many of the Prince's possessions were taken by disgruntled palace guards after his death. The role of the guards in the unfortunate affair was never determined, but rumor has it that all died within a year, slain by this very weapon.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +2 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +2
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 4
    Speed Factor: 3
    Proficiency Type: Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 10 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Cleric
    Mage
    Thief

This is the magical scimitar +3, Frostbrand. It is one of Drizzt's personal weapons.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 + 3
    THACO: +3 bonus
    Damage type: Slashing
    Proficiency type: Scimitar
    Speed Factor: 2
    Requires: 8 Strength
    Not usable by:
    Mage
    Cleric

Scimitar of Speed +2: Belm
    This enchanted scimitar bears the mark of Taka Kobe, an honored swordsmith of Kara-Tur, though how it came to be here is unknown. Perfectly balanced, it affords quick recovery in combat and even allows the wielder time for an additional attack.

STATISTICS:

Combat Abilities: sets attacks to +1 per round
    THACO: +2 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +2
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To
    Requires: 10 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Cleric
    Mage

scimitar +5
    This is the magical scimitar +5 Defender that bears the name "Twinkle." It is one of the personal weapons of Drizzt. Due to its magical nature, only those pure of heart can use it.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 + 3
    THACO: +3 bonus
    Special: +2 Armor Class bonus
    Damage type: Slashing
    Proficiency type: Scimitar
    Speed Factor: 2
    Requires: 8 Strength
    Not usable by:
    Evil or Neutral Alignment
    Mage
    Cleric

One more idea is to give her a better hitting power by dual weilding. I know you need low ac now but it would be a good idea to use it once you get better armour!

[This message has been edited by Sir Dargorn (edited September 20, 2001).]

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    IMO the best weapons for Jaheira are:
    -Belm (for the additional attack; important due to her mc-related low fighter level)
    -Blackblood club (kills trolls)
    -the staffmace staff can be used with a shield (can be found on the dead mage with the golem in Bohdi's lair and bought in some temples iirc)

Of course I'd give her slings as her ranged weapon. Here I favour the sling of Arvoreen and the dragonslayer (??!) sling from the shadow lord dungeon. Sling of Everard is excellent as well since it can hurt golems.

As for shields I fully agree to Lokken, though I wonder he overlooked another great shield: the fortress shield +3 which usually is my shield of choice for her.

Fortress shield +3 :book:
    (I skip the story since I had to translate it back into english first) - so in short:

-7 on AC vs missile weapons
    -4 on general AC
    weight: 3

Nice no-shield approaches (which I am going to evaluate in my next game) are to use spears (impaler and unicorn spear, the rest is pretty crappy) to attack from second line and staffs, namely staff of rhynn.

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] As well as scimitars themselves, can Jaheira use ninja-to's etc. as per lumping together of proficiencies or is she limited to scimitars only by her druid class? I feel a bit dumb asking, but I havent used Jaheira for ages so I cant remember...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 21, 2001).]

7. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] No, unfortunately she can only use pure scimitars. She cannot use ninja tos and wakizashis :sosad:

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Ragusa the sling whose name you were looking for is Arla's Dragonbane +3 I believe. ;) I don't know specifically what weapons I'll be giving Jaheira, whatever happens...happens :D I'm not going to plan it, rather just go with the flow. So the question is Nivek, which flow will you go with? :D Scimitar and shield or club and shield?

9. sorvo Guest

Jaheira sucks as a front line fighter,sling and shield are the way to go.

10. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Coming from the guy who can't get over Anomen's using a spear, i would expect nothing better. ;) Jaheira has done stalwart duty for me on the front lines. If you pay attention during the battles and have fun with her abilities, she's quality stuff. I might add that she is quite effective indeed with a sling and a shield in the back rows of the scuffle, but then again, so are noober and neeber i'm sure ("heya!"). I did, however, prefer Cernd as a druid.

11. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I think that you can buy a sling +5 from a bonus merchant. But I might be wrong...
    :1eye:

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Jaheira makes a great front-liner, sorvo. She can wear any armor; with a shield her AC is outstanding, and without a shield she can dual-wield effectively if you put Belm in her off hand (she gets the extra attack with her *off* hand too!) Perhaps most importantly of all, she can cast Ironskins on herself, which none of the other fighters can. I don't think she died once in the games I've had her tanking, once she got high enough level to cast that spell (which doesn't take long).

13. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i use Jahiera with Staffs and she is usually pretty good, but it is obvious that now one agrees with me. :D

well, if i had a choice i would go with Blackblood

and any shield that takes you fany, but i would go with that Tower Shield or Sentinel (wonderful shield).

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I alternated between sheild and scimitar (for details read the recommendations above) or staff. I used her as a tank/healer/mage guard and she was great.

In TOB, you have some additional weapon choices for all characters. Some of which work real well with Jahiera.

Can't say more lest I incur the wrath of Extremist. If you wish to post in the TOB forum, I would be happy to be more specific.

15. Ragusa

Media:
    I usually give Jaheira the gauntlets of ogre power to improve her melee abilities. I found her to take excessive damage from spells like Abi Dalzim's (maybe because she's an elf), so I prefer to wear the girdle of inertial barrier as well.

16. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

She has less hit points than the straight fighters, so she's more vulnerable to magic attacks, yeah. I'd say that's her biggest weakness as a tank.

17. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jaheira as a fighter? She sucks especially when chapter updates. Do you see her slim body? her low hitpoints?

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

excellent AC and Ironskins make up for that, only problem is mages, better to keep her a bit behind when figting those

19. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Laskol,
    I see her slim body and believe me I'm not thinking about hitpoints!
    :happy: :grin: ;)

Seriously, what is this stuff about questioning Jaheira as a fighter, you know she is a MC FIGHTER/Druid. It's how you play her, whoa no pun intended ;)

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I found that she was really useful for protecting my mages. She could heal, use the sling, then engage any creature trying to melee my mages. I didn't use her as a front line tank that ofter. Had PC, Minsc, and Keldorn for that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.