1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Journey-esque bands

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Enagonios, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] okay i was watching the beer baron episode of the simpsons the other day and they played that song by journey at the end and i loved it. I now have the ff. songs by Journey: Don't Stop Believin', Send her my love, Any way you want it and only the young. What other good songs do they have? And what bands are there out there with this kind of sound. I need help here guys, I love 80's music like this (Starship, etc.) but I was too young to remember the band and song names at the time..

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Boston. They did some great songs of this sort. Check out More than a feeling.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    REO Speedwagon
    Styx (somewhat similar)

Y'know, I should have been able to come up with more than that.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Foreigner, too. Gotta go uncrate my 8tracks and cassettes from high school.

5. Takara

Media:
    How could I forget... Dire Straits. Check out the Brothers in Arms album.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Takara and I have already discussed my disagreement on the subject of Dire Straits. Other than that, I agree with the nominations so far. Also consider Toto, Asia (second album more than first), and Kansas (although they backed up the melodrama with some decent rock'n'roll).

7. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How about Van Halen. Maybe Bon Jovi

Heart could be the female version of Journey. :p

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actaully, some idiot on TV the other night referred to Van Halen as Heavy Metal!

9. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31

@Aldazar...probably the same one who said Lynard Skynard was a country band. hehe

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What other good songs do they have? You only missed a couple of my favorites, plus whole lot more!

My two favorites: Seperate Ways and Be Good to Yourself.

Other good songs: Wheel in the Sky; Anytime; Who's Crying Now; Still They Ride; Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'; Lights; Faithfully; and Open Arms.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, this is a great topic. These assorted bands were in the catagory of FM rock, which most of the 80s bands (especially punk) were a reaction against. The ones who could stand up to the camera lens did OK in the early 80s, but a lot of them didn't make it for long.

I'm a huge Heart fan, and I noticed that in many of their mid-eighties videos, as Annie put on weight, they kept pushing her farther back from the front of the action and moving the "sleeker" Nancy Wilson towards the front. But Annie really "rocks," IMO.

Some may disagree but I would probably add Rush (one of my favorite bands from any time) to the list of FM bands that managed to crossover from the 70s and do OK with the MTV generation.

12. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31

I know this is ... :yot: But why does Steve Perry not sing with Journey anymore?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IIRC, because original Steve was a big pain in the ass, and figured his voice was so unique they couldn't do without him.

Funny how the new Steve sounds a lot like the old :)

14. cultjake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Check out April Wine for some late 70's FM goodness too.

Just Between You and Me.....

15. Takara

Media:
    I dont think that Van halen, Bon Jovi, or rush qualify as the same sound as Journey IMO. They are great groups, (big fan), but dont sound similar at all. Another group that does a little, is Magnum. Start Talkin love is pretty similar.

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    What about Queen? They certainly had plenty of melodrama.

17. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31

Let's throw in Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band for kicks. :thumb:

@Blackthorne: I guess any lead singer in a band can be replaced, maybe the exception was Freddy Mercury of Queen.

18. Takara

Media:
    George Michael would have been pretty good at it. No-one could have taken his place, but George Michael would have done a bloody good job. If you ever saw/see the tribute concert, the song he does, sombody to love IIRC, was astounding.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

What about 'Golden Earring'

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The only George Michael song I like is Careless Whisper, it's such a mood song hehe ;)

the Nancy Wilson you guys are referring to, she's the one that sang the theme for the movie 16 Candles right?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.