1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kangaxx the lich/demi-lich (spoiler warning!)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] I found a ridiculously easy way to beat Kangaxx the Demi-Lich and Kangaxx the Lich. You need a +4 weapon, and a way to release two Sunrays at the same time. You could buy the Helm Of Brilliance from Ribald and get that sword from the lich under the crooked crane. You also may need to buy an Scroll of Proctection from Magic from him too, unless your playing with a fighter/mage and can cast spell immunity, abjuration, I think, check the manual. Anyway, kill him in his Lich form with the two sunrays (you'll probably have to hit him a few times, so use some sort of dispelling magic, ie Keldorns Dispel Magic, Breach, Pierce Magic/Shield, Ruby Ray, Warding Whip. Next, get everyone away, except for the protected one, then have him hack away at Kangaxx til he drops the Ring of Gaxx! Yay!

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My sincere kudos if you found that on your own.

However, others have blazed this trail beforehand.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

well, i did indeed find it out on my own and I'm sorry if someone's put a thread before. He's impossible to beat without magical help. Without a scroll of protection from magic, I don't think it would be possible to defeat him. If anyone who has reads this, I would like to hear about. Sincere kudos to that person :)

MM

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I've done it! No magical help, only the berserker rage. I also did it with the Slayer which isn't magical.....

5. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The two things that Kangaxx does which are really annoying are Imprisonment and Demi-Lich Howl. There are lots of ways to protect yourself from some or all of these effects (Beserker Rage, Spell Immunity, etc) but most of these have been mentioned before. Kangaxx isn't hard in the traditional sense of requiring a good, hard fight: he's more of a very frustrating puzzule with only a few (high-level) solutions :) .

6. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I beat him with a solo fighter/mage and without a single scroll of protection at all.

First I cast a spelltrap on myself then I cast time stop, whacked him with the staff of the magi a few times before the spell ran out. Once it ran out, I cast it again (Kangaxx kept wasting his imprisonment spells on my spelltrap which recharged my used spells).

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Even easier - Protection from undead.

He just stands there taking it. Very boring, but definitely easy.

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Protection from undead and a lot of traps ;)
    easiest fight in the game

9. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually Berserk and Slayer Change works fine.

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

yeah, I knew that berserker rage, spell immunity, spell trap and a scroll of magic protection would do it, but i didn't know that slayer change or protection from undead would.

11. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Kangaxx is hard only if you're not familiar with the game...after beating him a few times...pfheww, he's incredibly easy!!! :cool:

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Well, I'd like to call myself a verteran. I've beat the original BG at least 20 times. BG2... at least 10. I also beat Icewind Dale once, but didn't like it (not much of a storyline). So I'm quite familiar with the game and the jiist of it.
    I also didn't use a walkthrough except when I couldn't find a certain location. Never for help on winning battles. I beat Kangaxx on my third time through. It was a good party and my PC was a swashbuckler/mage (a la Saemon Havarian, but wow! what a weak ass character) and I used all my 5th level spell slots on Spell Immunity. I cast Death Ward on the Swash/Mage with Anomen after defeating his lich form, then had everyone run to the far north east corner. The Swash/Mage cast spell immunity then started hacking away with the Boneblade +4.

It took me at least 3 hours because a) I didn't know what weapon enchantment he could be hit with b) I didn't know magic wouldn't work on him c) I didn't know what to do and d) I had to defeat his lich form EVERY DAMN TIME!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to say is, but I think it's...

Silver Bear? Kangaxx is hard even when you're familiar with the game.

13. the assassin Gems: 8/31

I prefer the old fashion way...arm my characters to the teeth, haste, then pound away at him. I might use the ring of ram and slayer, but thats when i get impatient

14. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I think that I would have to agree with the Assassin. I'm not to good at firing off tonnes of spells, so a mixture of most of the above suggestions works fine for me. My main chara is usually a fighter/ranger. So quite a capable fighter.
    Slayer is fun though! :p

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

What the hell is a fighter/ranger?

anyway 'the assassin'. Have you beat him without magical help? He can cast imprisonment instantly (so interuption is fultile). he also only take 10 or 15% of the damage. He's got quite a few HP (shadowkeeper says 50, but I find that hard to believe). You've also got to defeat his lich form, which is a very high level mage.

16. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Just ring of ram him to death :D (this is kind of cheap though)

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Who is Kangax en where does one find him
    I beat the game once and am doing it again and I run along every quest, but I didn't find him or even ever hear of him outside the boards

18. dshadow Gems: 8/31

You find him in the docks district in the building just west of Maevar's guildhall.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Well, that's where you find his head anyway. You've first got to collect his skeleton. The body is in the sewers (where the stairs lead to the old temple) and the legs are in the bridge district (near Desolar's Inn or right next to the Twisted Rune). You've got to fight two high level Liches in order to obtain the parts. Personally, I don't think they gave you enough tresure, but it's satisfying the first time you beat him. After that, it's just a chore :(

20. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was just passing by and happened upon this thread and thought you all might like to read a short story I wrote awhile back entitled, "Anorath Vs. Kangaxx". Hope you enjoy it...

Anorath the Kensai/Mage sought to help a trapped soul by bringing him the golden torso, legs and arms requested of him, only to find that he had been duped by a very powerful Demi-Lich into reassembling the greatest of evil.

Of course he could not allow this type of evil to exist in the world as it would unbalance the delicate nature of good and evil (True Neutral) so, he told the creature to leave this plane, never to return and he would allow it to live.

Kangaxx only laughed and of course refused! He charged Anorath with a multitude of high level spells. Kangaxx was the first to attack as he had trapped the tomb with his unholy Symbols (Death, Stun and Fear).

Luckily, Anorath had summoned a Skeleton Warrior to stand at his side before speaking to Kangaxx and it was the target of the first attack. Anorath quickly cast a spell that would allow him to see through all the illusions the Liches are so famous for (True Sight), much to the chagrin of Kangaxx as his next move was to duplicate himself to try and outnumber Anorath.

There were several spells swirling around the tomb from both Anorath and Kangaxx: Fireballs exploded, Lightning bolts crashed and even Meteors rained. After an intense battle Anorath was sensing that the battle was soon to be over and he was feeling quite confident, so he cast a spell to make quick work of the foul creature (Improved Haste) and attacked Kangaxx with both his enchanted swords (Celestial Fury and Dak'kon Zerth Blade).

Anorath was quite relieved when he saw the Lich's carcass fall to the ground but, all of a sudden the magical beast rose once again! This time in the unnatural form of a golden skull that floated high in the air!

Anorath's relief was cut short when he realized that he had not killed Kangaxx but, he had released it's evil in it's most unholy form!

Anorath was taunted by Kangaxx as blow after blow that would kill any normal man or beast were deflected with ease. He realized very quickly that his normal weapons were not going to be enough to destroy this foul creature and threw down both his trusty swords that had earned him the reputation as "Hero Of Trademeet" and chose to use the most powerful weapon he possessed.

To the untrained eye it looked like a regular staff but, to those seasoned in the ways of Magical weapons it was was much, much more (Staff Of The Magi +5).

Kangaxx saw this and decided to end this charade quickly by using the most powerful of spells. A spell that would not just kill Anorath but, send him to the center of the Earth for all eternity (Imprisonment).

Luckily Anorath was smart enough and could cast his spells fast enough to avoid this fate that some say would be worse that death itself and protected himself with the greatest of his magicks (Spell Immunity - Abjuration).

Kangaxx was furious! No one had ever been able to aviod such a spell! He seemed not to believe that it was even possible as he kept casting it over and over again.

This gave Anorath the break he was looking for: He used a spell that doubled his physical prowess (Tensor's Transformation) and pummelled Kangaxx into oblivion with only his magical staff.

After the long, hard, grueling battle Anorath was at last victorious. He bent down to where Kangaxx had dropped his ring on the ground when he disintegrated. As he picked it up he could sense a great magick. He sat down and put his aching back up against the tomb and fell into a well deserved deep sleep.

[This was originally posted 12/6/00 - Before the miltitude of Kangaxx spoilers hit the forums] :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.