1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keldorn romance -- proofreading help needed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Baronius, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Quoting Senka:
    Of course, you can also post it here if you can offer a hand, and I will inform Senka about it.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now that's just wrong....

Does the protagonist help destroy Keldorn's marriage (only to get the wife out of the way)?

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hey, who hasn't wanted to play as a home wrecker at some point? Keldorn IS an older, established man after all...

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

worse than a Minsc romance?

5. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Mm well I guess some girls like the idea of a silver daddy. ;)

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I do recall reading about the possibility of this mod coming into existance, didn't realise that someone(s) were actually working on it. I like Keldorn, so I'd be interested in playing this when it comes out.

While I would be willing to help proof-read, that would inevitably spoil the surprise when I play it. Which is a shame.

Point.

7. Baronius

FYI, the proofreading problem has been solved meanwhile.

It's surely no problem for you to kill (= take the lives of) people in BG2, but to ruin a marriage, that's something much more terrible than murder, sure!

By the way, it can be solved that you don't have to destroy the marriage (because it ends in a different way, but I'm not sure about the developer's plans so don't ask me, I just heard modders speaking somewhere about it).

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It has always amused me that people are absolutely fine with commiting genocide on various races simply because they are there (and Keldorn is seen as the racist!) in addition to carving a bloody swath through their own people, but raise topics like incest, rape or even breaking a marriage and they start to get unhappy. Think about this: if marriage is approximately as common in Faerun as on Earth, how many of those nameless soldiers and guards have left behind grieving wives who have just discovered their loved one will not be coming home after all.

That wasn't aimed particuarly at you Bruno; it was just a commentry on the mindset of gamers. ;)

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ah, but D+D takes all the moral ambiguity out of violence. There is definitive evil in the world, as illustrated by one's moral alignment. Furthermore, the paragons of justice, the archons, have no hesitation about slaying evil, in order to prevent it from harming the innocent. By the system of D+D, the truly good hero prevents the villain from returning to harm the populous, while the not so heroic hero takes pity on the villain and allows him or her to go and have another chance at harming the innocent (yea, I'm taking to you NWN and your good path). Besides how would Tyr still have a job as a LG deity if calling for the death of evil creatures simply because they deserve to be punished for their alignment if such actions weren't good?

On the otherhand, breaking up Keldorn's marriage is a selfish act and therefore moves you closer to NE. Slaying a tyrant is not a selfish act (unless you intend merely to replace him yourself) and spares others from his or her tyranny is therefore good. It's best not ask questions about violence in D+D for the alignment system is one big and crazy justification for it.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    True, Ilmater's Suffering, true. However, I was not referring to how the players' characters would see killing, but how the players do. Regardless of how killing is seen in D&D, I would guess that most RL people do not view morality in quite the same way. We don't take D&D ethics as our own when we play the game. Don't get me wrong- we should probably play the characters as though they accept this point of view, but our personal views are not likely to change.

I suspect that I am starting to ramble away from my original point, so I will state simply: we, as gamers, do not see killing as anything out of the ordinary, yet reject acts such as those I mentioned earlier. We don't reject because our characters would (although they might), but because of our own sense of morality.

Anyways, this is moving away from the topic at hand, so I'll be quiet now and hope that people have more to say on the Keldorn Romance mod.

11. Baronius

As there haven't been too many updates recently regarding this mod, I think the possible few comments will fit nicely in this topic despite the partially offtopic tendency.

I also think Ilmater's Suffering has good points there. However, the fact players happily kill others in the game while some less serious acts raise doubts in them rather roots in the words "game" and "real life" itself. That is, it's an everyday event, a usual thing to slay tens of creatures in BG2, so it's not a complicated thing or something that would need deep consideration. For most players, murder and killing is a distant thing, something which only exists in movies and games (where it's totally natural, on the contrary).

Marriage and romance, on the other hand, is an existing element of their real life and it's close to people, so they tend to treat it more sensitively in the game too. Not too surprisingly, this is especially true to ladies who play BG2, or even make NPC mods for it. Some NPC mods are created exclusively because a romance can be included in them (and it's obviously OK, each mod is created for some primary reason that tempts the author -- e.g. I love quests with twists and battles, some people love to find things that can be FIXED somehow, etc.)

So real roleplaying can only be done by putting apart our everyday notions and customs, but of course RP-specific criteria (such as alignment) should also be met (i.e. chosen wisely).

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

So.. considering the protagonist is around 20 years (about?) and Keldorn is about 60ish AND married..

Don't get me started..

Btw are paladins even allowed to DO that :eek:

13. Elfen Lied

Keldorn is 55, well as best Felinoid can figure it.

NPC Ages

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    And they say love knows no barriers. If so, it evidently hasn't met Silvershield then.

15. Cal Jones

Well, Keldorn's epitah talks about what happens to him in his 60th year, which is some time after the events of ToB. I think one can safely conclude that he is somewhere in his 50s. 55 would be about right.
    And btw...it's not too old for romance (though that would be some age gap!) Quite a lot of younger women do go for silver daddies, and Keldorn is a noble...

16. Elfen Lied

I think that partially depends on the characters involved, those things were fairly common in the time period Fae'run is roughly based in, so prehaps it's not so much people have an issue with those things but rather the character in those situations. Some people like the naive, will do anything for charname Imoen, but they might not be so fond of seeing her in a more romantic light. But such a thing would not be uncommon, they are just so used to a character being cast in a certain light, they are not so welcoming to change, not matter how fun the romance mod might be to play.

Reminds me of that scene in the first Austin Powers, where then henchman got killed and it cuts to his buddies at hooters who get a phone call informing them he just died.

"any of you guys seen smity?"
    "He's a henchman for doctor Evil, some times they work late"
    Waitress comes up to group and saysthere is a phone call for them.
    "Smity's not coming, he dead"
    "How?"
    "He was decapitated by a mutated Sea Bass"
    "To Smity! *Raises glass*"

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The character involved might make a bit of difference, but I believe that it will not fully account for the opposition to those themes.

I'll use an example (and therefore slight spoilers follow): there is a NWN module called A Dance With Rogues. In the opening scenes of this module the female PC gets raped.

Despite only knowing your character's name and a very vague history (much of the character's personality is left to the player), I seem to recall people objecting. Note that this is before they got to know the character. Additionally, there were negative comments about the presence of sexual options later in the mod. These dialogue options were voluntary, but people were still bothered.

18. Baronius

Of course, it's another matter that roleplaying in this AD&D, medieval, dungeons & dragons & heroes or whatever-we-call-it world, is like participating in a story, in a tale (can be a dark tale). Its stylistic requirements, or at least the player's expectations include the lack of "everyday", ordinary, or irrelevant events. That is, your characters don't drink (except in taverns and except potions) and don't eat, and don't chat (displayed banters aren't ordinary; "Look out, Aerie, there is a snake near your leg" isn't said in a forest, at least not displayed by the game even if it happens). And these things aren't just for gameplay ease.

Similarly, many players don't like to see rape, or even any normal sexual options. It doesn't mean that eating, drinking, sex etc. cannot be there (and this is true to non-joinable NPCs as well), but it's not "told", displayed in this "tale", because it's irrelevant and may be illusion-ruining. Legends and tales speak about heros and great (or horrible) deeds. Rape, for example, isn't an uncommon event in a war. Yet, from the viewpoint of a tale, it isn't like winning a great battle by cruelly taking the lives of thousands of young men.

Generally, players have objections with anything that doesn't fit their picture of the game.

19. Cal Jones

Fact is, people play games for fun. A lot of people play games to escape from the hum drum nature of their own lives but some also play to forget their own troubles.

I've just quit UO after seven good years. In that game, emoting rape on another character, or even joking about it, would get you banned pretty smartish. I should think the same is true of nearly all MMOs. Within the RP community, it was an unspoken role - interrogations, punishment and torture were all OK, within reason, provided that there was nothing sexual. Your avatar is an extension of yourself, and even if your character's background story is nothing like your own, you still identify enough with that character that an assault on them could make you feel violated. Sex in games is fine if handled appropriately, but as a woman, I wouldn't be happy playing a rape victim - or a rapist for that matter.

As for infidelity, well, we already have Keldorn's wife fooling around with Sir William - you can always encourage him to follow his code of honour and have her thrown in jail. Not very nice, but he's lawful good - his initial reaction is to have he jailed and William hanged and he only changes his mind when the PC encourages him along a more reasonable path.

Still, I'm not sure Keldorn would feel too happy about romance after that...but then Jaheira got it on with the PC not long after her beloved husband was found dead and mutilated. The BG world is not the real world. :)

20. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think nobody shouldn't judge a mod before playing it. We don't have any idea how modders have written plot for the romance, if it's well written I can see it happen. I admit Keldorn isn't first NPC I could think of romanceable (sp?) but I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.