1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai vs. Monk vs. Barbarian (pure)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by volkov_2001, Apr 18, 2001.

1. volkov_2001 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] yah....these three r the most of the fighters....those who want to fight will chose either of them.....

Kensai good THACO....good speed...but low AC

Monk good saving throws...resistance for magic..good speed....good FIST...good fight
    BUT....low ac(quite)....not very good THACO(compare to kensai)....and low selection of weapons.....

Barbarian....good AC..good skills..but low proficiencies in weapons.....

SO......whose the best.....(no dc...)

2. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Me tried the kensai first.
    It was a very disappointin' experience.
    Me had no chance against most good armor classed opponents. Don't play with it, it's a waste.
    The monk. A very though opponent, with good chance to survive, but low on hit points.

Me recommend the barbarian with the half orc race(19 str, 19 con.
    My half orc barbarian had hit points around 180 and a THACO of -11( with Crom Faer) at level 19. It also can rage 5 times a day(+4 str, con many immunities etc)

Me vote for the barbarian. It's awesome I say!

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I like the pure fighter as a tank. It has no disadvantages and can Grandmaster in all weapons. Sure he doesnt get any bonuses but if i had to choose one thats the one

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Elven Kensai With full long sword and dual weapon proficiencies. Equip good long swords and boots of speed, girdle of piercing and The Magic resistance amulet from Ust Natha.
    Guaranteed to Rock your world ;)

5. Icecold39 Banned

[​IMG] I am presently playing an elf fighter. Most people would probaby pick a half-orc, but an elf is good with long swords. so i get, i think a whole attack per round. i put two slots in sword and sheild style and the rest in long sword. I get a bonus in dex. So my Ac is -15 and i get 3 attacks per round and i didnt duel weild. My tahco is -10. i am also a level 19 that could have something to do with it. I think my saves are better to. I am playing a monk at my mmoms where i live part time. I am only a level 10 and my ac is -3 and i deal out a decent amount of damage obout same as my fighter.My monk deals from 15 to 36 (i think)damage. Plus at a certain level the fist does 1-20 damge ( i think. the monk is really fast he gets an extra attack every three levels when using fists. If i were to choose from a kensai, barbarian or a monk i would choose the monk. One more thing he gets this quivering palm ability. his advantages are to many to list.

6. Hayashi Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Elf kensai? I thought only humans can take the kensai kit?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] nope. ;) Give your elven kensai FULL long sword specialization (why? you find a +1 weapon right away, they're common and The Equalizer is a longsword) because besides this, elves specialize in the long sword. Put all the remaining proficiencies in dual weapon. His AC may be low but equip him with something to protect against arrows and some magic resistance items then give him the boots of speed. -What cannot be caught, cannot be hurt- ;)

8. volkov_2001 Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] i was using a elf kensai......4 star in long sword and another 4 in katana...and 2 more in dual waepon......THACO is very high....

i dont like to use those power items like crom hammer and cloack of reflection(they suck....they r like codes)

as for AC....not so much worry....when u can kill something fast.....no time for it to retaliate.....but still ....anybody can suggest a way to raise his AC

9. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

U can raise AC with the Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Kangaxx and the Cloak of the Sewers. By using these items ye can get an AC bonus of +5, saving throw bonus +4, regenerating and some magic resistance.

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] In addition, I think armor class is important, when fighting multiple low level foes, because they can hit u too.
    While u're occupied with one of them, the rest (archers regulary) will surely finish you.

An addition to my previous post: u can also increase armor class if you choose two slots of single weapon fighting style. With these u can accomplish an armor class of max -3, VERY BAD I SAY- especially against vampires, 'cause the kensai has no defense against their level draining. A warrior is nothing without good defences, but these guys only have offense of some sort. If only they could use bracers, they would RULE! Their Kai ability would be useful if it weren't fade in ten seconds, so it is NOTHING!

Conclusion: the kensai is very good for a duel, but acts poorly in though battles.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] cause the kensai has no defense against
    their level draining <- This is why Keldorn and minsc are around, they take the damage and attack at the same time. My Bladesinger attacks from the side and is ignored... a fatal mistake. ;)

12. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think the monk is the best
    I'm lvl 18 make 4 attack of 1-20 without strengt bonus
    ac -3 natural
    quivering palm and stunning blow
    magic resistance
    fast movement
    what do you need more???

13. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

yep im gunna have to go with the monk, early hes a tough one to use, but later hes highly resistant to magic, kinda like a drow, which makes him a tank, plus his natural fighting ablilty at +3 fists, then those bracers u get off that fish prince man, makes him a very good attacker, so my vote if for the monk.

14. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

the monk defenitely, immunity to normal weapons solves a lot of trouble

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Soon I'll start a new MP-part... I will play them all!

16. Bruce the Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Monks are pratically gods after level 20. They can deal out massive damage, high armour points and not to mention a list of immunities and magical resistance.

Monks rules

17. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

It's stupid to give your characters proficiency's (sp?) in weapons that you can get far later in the game...
    You shouldn't get a prof in long sword because of the equaliser! I was already a level 19 half-orc barbarian before I finally finished it...!
    You must give that prof, because you'll find namara very soon in the game and daystar also...
    I read about Belm, that scimitar that gives you an extra attack, and I still haven't found the darn sword!
    I just arrived at Suldannesselar and I found it a waste of profs, because I wanted that weapon, while I never found it (BTW, Where is it?!).
    Of course, if you've never played the game before, you can't know what weapons you'll find...
    My advice on proficiecy's at the beginning of the game:
    -Long sword
    -Axe
    -Katana
    -Two handed sword

These are the one's you need.

18. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

By the way, where do you get the ring of protection +2? I've found several +1 rings, but not a +2 yet. (You don't have to be too specific, a hint is fine)

19. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

pretty sure u get it from Aran Linvail when u pay galen bayle

20. ayecapitan Guest

there's also one more later either in underdark or in some area close to it (brynnlaw or asylum dungeon)

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited April 20, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.