1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Basilisks

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Grim Reaper, May 22, 2002.

1. Grim Reaper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I know you get Korax to help you fight Basilisks but what's the best alternative method you have used.
    I used my cleric to Animate Dead. She created 5 skeletons who occupied the basilisks whilst I shot arrows and bullets to finish them off (one at a time, I might add). Not so much as a scratch !

2. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The most effective method I've found is simply to cast Protection From Petrification on your toughest fighter(s) and send just them in. As far as I can remember, Basilisks are pretty wimpy in hand-to-hand combat. The only downside is that you'd need to know that the area contained Basilisks in the first place before you cast the spell. I suppose this only works when you've already faced them and know where to expect them.

3. Grim Reaper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Don't you send a Thief or Ranger to scout ahead on the maps (in the shadows)so you can see what's coming up?
    It comes in very handy.

4. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] No, normally I just charge headlong into anything with my main character, a rock 'ard fighter, and rely on the good old 'Autoload' function if things turn bad. I would scout ahead with Imoen, but after a while I think the sound of her voice would make me kill her. Plus, I'd always be completely paranoid about whether or not her Hide In Shadows would fail at just the wrong moment (i.e. just after you've bumped into that group of Ankhegs...) However, scouting ahead is probably a very good idea, as long as you don't use Imoen (if she uses the phrase "Huh, you're a queer fellow" one more time... :mad:)

[This message has been edited by LittleJimmy (edited May 23, 2002).]

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The best method that I ever found for killing them was to use the 1st level cleric spell that renders the target unconcious (I believe that it is called Command Word, but I'm not enitrely sure). Then it's just a simple matter of going up and beating it to death before teh spell wears off :).

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

WIth thwo good thiefs in your party, it should also be rather easy. Let them backstab the bassilisk, and let the rest of your people after the first backstab start attacking with ranged weapons and spells.

But I still prefer the Korax-method.

7. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31

I think prot from petrification solves any problem, because their hysical damage is not that big...
    Strange thing is: mirror image does not protect you---but mirror image is simply the best spell in BGI.
    I was unhappy that it was weakened in BGII

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Sending a thief to scout ahead while hidden in shadows to reveal where they are and thenfireballing beside them, usually with fire wands and necklaces of magic missiles are a pretty efficient way to stop them into the ground. That tactic works wonders under the crypts in candle keep btw;).

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I opt for closing your eyes and charging them and just hope that you are chopping them and not a tree :)

10. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Anybody ever tried casting blindness on a party member to see if that would protect him/her from gaze attacks?

11. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Hello!

I'm new here! Can somebody show me the ropes?
    I need help on killing the giant spiders in Beregost. i keep freezing them!
    I can't help you on the Basilisk killing thing. sorry!

;)

[Here's one of the ropes: Start a new topic when you have a new topic to start. Why post about spiders in a basilisk thread? - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 10, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.