1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

King Arthur (2004)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I just saw this movie on dvd. I was surprised, it wasn't nearly as bad as all the critics claimed it to be. It demystifies the Arthurian legend, to be sure, but it still wasn't a bad movie.

Did anyone else see this? What did you think?

2. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I saw it on DVD as well and thought it was pretty good.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I thought it could have been a hell of a lot better if it hadn't butchered the plot so much for a worse one ... it was kinda cheesy :)
    Not bad, but nothing special.

4. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Agree with Aik, it was a little cheesy to me, but I kinda like cheesy movies, liked the action and the characters, made a IWD2 party based on my favourite characters from it.

P.S: New gem, yay!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I saw it, and I liked it a lot. Sure it wasn't the Knights of the Round Table stuff one *expects* with an Arthur movie, but I think it was pretty well done, with cool battles and a really original take on the genre (assuming one can call 'King Arthur movies' a separate genre).
    :borg:

6. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Everyone knows that Arthur was Welsh. The guy playing King Arthur (forget his name) was missing a personality.

The movie was also missing a lot of the story.

I was very disappointed.

7. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I liked the movie because of the non-glorious nature. I expected another romantic lovestory about the heroic king Arthur who smited evil whereever he went, but this wasn't the case.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think I would have prefered that :p

And yeah, Arthur had 0 personality and two facial expressions...

9. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    @Aikanaro:

True, true... Arthur has less personality than a brick. Rumor has it that his facial expressions where robot-controlled due to the amount of plastic surgery needed to perfect his chin and facial hair ;)

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I thought it was a really good movie, IMO at least (So much so that I bought the Director's Cut).

If you enjoyed the idea of a Dark Age Arthur, then I suggest you read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy, which has all the grittiness of this film (and then some ;) ) and some of legends of Arthur. An excellent set of books, and some of my favourites :)

11. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

To be honest it demystifies the most known Arthurian legend just to create another one.
    The movie is really good action-wise but as was stated before the cast is a bit weak. I also want to give Lancelot as an example of bad acting.
    I think that the guy with the bow and hawk steals the spotlight from Lancelot, who was supposed to be the stylish guy (2 swords? yeah, yeah...).

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Aaaah, the guy with the bow and the hawk. ;)

Pretty average movie IMO, didn't expect much of it to start with, so I wasn't really disappointed.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's crap. Even Ray 'God' Winstone couldn't save it.

14. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

When at the opening titles, and it proclaimed that new archaeological evidence disputed the myth, I thought "Yay! A historically accurate Arthur film!". But lo, I was disappointed. Greatly so. What happened to Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon? They made him half-Roman! And Roman knights? Pah. The Celts were too skinny, Merlin was rubbish, and the things that made me saddest were the trebuchets and crossbows. The film was, to me, a great big saddening-fest. Oh well.

15. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As a movie, it was great. As a recreation of the story, it was awful.

16. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Precisely my opinion on the Lord of the Rings films, as films, they are very good, but they are just... not the Lord of the Rings.

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IMO Crap. Poor acting.

There were kings but the Legends of King Arthur is Myth - possibly built on several kings but mostly fantasy. Leave it fantasy.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Fun movie to see, build together nicely.

It's a (Hollywood) movie people, not a documentary :rolleyes:

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Two words: Horrid Tripe.

20. Newfie Banned

Put the name King Arthur on it to define it as "Epic" and drag out all the King Arthur fans, put Clive Owen (handsome male lead) and Kiera Knightly (pretty female lead) for sex appeal, throw in ragged barbarians (also starring in Gladiator, LOTR and Braveheart) for enemies, give a stirring, rousing speech at the start of major battle (Braveheart, LOTR), major battle with lots of wanton destruction (Braveheart, Troy, LOTR, Alexander) and we have regurgitated Hollywood crap with no soul bound to pull in millions. Thank god with "Alexander" and "The Aviator" doing poorly at the box office it signals to Hollywood the end of the "Epic" films

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.