1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

*legit unlimited hit points*

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Jake, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Jake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] :D THIS IS COOL :D

I don't know what is considered ethical or morally corect, but with ALL my characters I just sit around for a few hours and give my new character thousands of hit points when I first make them.

Here's how: First, start a new game in the expansion. Memorize ONLY find familiar. Then cast find familiar, but keep the little bugger out of your inventory. If you look at your hit points you'll notice that they have gone up by about 20 or 30. After that I export my character and start a new game. The familiar is gone, but the hit points are still there. Cast find familiar again, export, new game, find familiar, export, new game, ET CETERA INDEFINATELY.

If this is considered cheating, or hacking, or it doesnt work, or I have a bug, or if EVERYONE already knows this and I'm a stupid newbie, or it's just plain wrong by any of you other BG2 fans out there, tell me so... I'm interested.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It sounds like an amusing little bug that you are exploiting there but I really don't see the point. Obviously you shouldn't be able to do this so as far as I am concerned you might as well save the hours and just use shadowkeeper to edit your character.

Of course if you obtain some sort of perverse thrill by spending hours exploiting a bug instead of outright cheating by using a hack go right ahead. :rolleyes:

3. Jake Gems: 1/31

There's a good reason I might want to take advatage of what you call a "bug", which i doubt it is, also for a good reason.

Shadowmaster is an official cheat, and as morally constapated as this might sound, I consider my pseudo-bug to be more legitamate, and doesnt count as cheating.

Also, I have friends who play this game, and when I first noticed this little trick I recomended it to them. They have ALL suceeded in keeping the hit points...

Is it likely that here on Long Island we happen to all have the same bug, exclusively? And who here considers this to be "cheating?"

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sounds like cheating to me. But whatever floats your boat, no skin off of my back. Now, if it was a multiplayer experience..... but it's not.

5. Jake Gems: 1/31

if it was multiplayer it rly wouldnt count as a cheat, u think? but ur wrong to say that its not... i do play multiplayer

6. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, if noone minds then more power to you. If you do it without them knowing though it seems a bit unsavory. If they do know and don't mind still seems like cheating but, again, whatever makes you happy. it's your game. The reason I see it as cheating is that your character doesn't have a magic 'export' spell but the user behind the keyboard does. Something tells me the folks at bioware didn't intend this as a benefit.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Am I hearing well? You're applying moral and ethic standards to game cheats? OK, whatever. It's not legitimate, it's a bug exploit.

8. Jake Gems: 1/31

IF U THINK ITS A BUG

...try it urself, i doubt its a bug...

9. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Of course its a bug? How can it possibly not be a bug? What is your reasoning that its not a bug? Its also a waste of time, SK does this in 3 seconds and I consider both on the same exact level of legitimacy.

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

When is something legitimate cheese?

In my book, this is definitely not legit. But you do as you like. (Hopefully) you bought the game legally, so you do as you think.

And by the way, it doesn't hurt to read the forum rules, if ya know what I mean. Best to do so before someone reprimands you for not doing so.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You can do the character import/export thing for cheap experience, or duplicating items too. Just save your game before triggering the event first. Then get activate the event (get the XP or the item) normally, export your character, reload the game, import character, and get the experience or item again.

Find a good source, like end of the Planar sphere. Save before talking to Lavok. Then you get the quest experience and the Ring of Acuity (or sell for gold) as many times as you want.

The only difference is this only works in multiplayer mode. (I think)

The reason why they work is when you export your character, the game environment does not get saved, just your character's stats/inventory. Then when you import, your character comes with all his stats as saved when you last exported, but the game environment resets to normal.

This also explains why in multiplayer mode, if you let an enemy mage cast all his spells, run away and save the game, reload the game, the enemy mage has all his spells back.

12. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

As an analyst/programmer, I know there's a lot of debate about what is or is not a bug. I've seen a lot of debate on these very boards about this topic. For this reason, I'll take the following definition from www.dictionary.com

Bug:

An unwanted and unintended property of a program or piece of hardware, especially one that causes it to malfunction.

In this case, you could argue that the fact that exporting your character doesn't keep your familiar with your character a bug. Either way, bug or not, it's likely that that wasn't meant to be possible. There certainly wasn't anything in the manual detailing a procedure like this.

For me, there is a simple test which determines whether something is okay or not: I try to roleplay it. If I can't roleplay it, then it is unintended / an exploit / a bug / whatever. Try to roleplay casting "find familiar", somehow finding a loophole in the laws of the D&D universe that dictate losing your familiar also causes you to lose a point of CON and the extra HP the familiar provides. If you can, go for it. Personally, I have extreme difficultly roleplaying anything that involves repeatedly importing and exporting characters.

Take the old "you can steal stuff from the thieves guild, and fence it right back to them for infinite cash" trick. I can't roleplay selling the same breastplate to the same guy 50 times, so I don't do it. I can, however, roleplay nicking a suit of armour from a shop across town, and fencing it to the thieves guild. I could even roleplay nicking a wand from the thieves guild, using it, hanging on to it for a few months, and THEN selling it back.

Except when dealing with Player vs Player games, or multiplayer games which have economies, the only person a cheat cheats is the person cheating. Is it fun to run around with 5000HP? Do you think you might have enjoyed the game more (and got a greater sense of achievement) if you'd played the game "properly"?

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Just because it can be duplicated, doesn't make something not a bug.

This is a bug, and your "legit" trick is a bug exploit. I do not find this legitimate, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

14. toturi sezaru Gems: 1/31

In player vs player or multiplayer, very high hit points may be very powerful and potentially unbalancing. But it is all done according to the rules of the game. "Like all computer programs, some rules may be bent, others broken." This is a fact.

I wouldn't use this thing more time than I would import to omplete the game though. If I finished the game 20 times, I'll would only have 20X more number of hit points. And I would use the charactor only to show what can be done legitly and kick his sorry RPed ass, before switching to a PC more of the same level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.