1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Long or short bow for archer *spoiler*

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Raistlin Majere, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Raistlin Majere Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] i was looking at the stats for the darkfire bow +5 (short bow) and Taralash +5 (longbow) and i notice that the short bow is better than the long bow and every one i have talked to says that long bows are better and i cant descide which i should get the grandmastry in. is there any hidden advantage to having a long bow with an archer or is their none?

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

stick with shortbows - gesen bow is still the ultimate mage disruption unit with a good archer

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

agreed....short bows are the way to go.

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Youre right. I think shortbows are the best as well but i like the "Tuigan Bow" better, (lots of shots, like a machinegun)

5. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Problem with bows in general is you need an additional melee weapon to kill some monsters as the immunities look at the arrows yer using not the bow bonuses. There are very few +4 arrows in the game =/ but shortbows are by far the better choice.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

gesen bow fires +4 arrows - and the bonus electrical damage will hurt mages protected by magic weapons - thus disrupting spellcasting - lovely i say

7. Mirkwood Guest

Short bows are NOT the far better choice, there is no way I am letting my archer wander around the sword coast with some dinky little short bow and getting laughed at by everyone we come across...

Catti Brie: "Oooh, look at the big tough adventurer with his little toy bow, hahahahahah!"
    Drizzt: "Hahahahaha, thats a good one Catti."

Short bows are for pissweak thieves.

:)

8. Haymaker D'apeon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

That is funny that Cattie says that since she carries a short bow herself.

9. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] DOH! forgot about that.

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I thought the Tungin bow WAS a short bow?

11. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It IS a shortbow, though i myself stick to longbows, Strong Arm and the elven court bow are amongst my alltime favourites.

[This message has been edited by Brega (edited August 16, 2001).]

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

so which long bow does not require ammo?

13. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] None, but who needs that when you can get ammo piss cheap, Arrows of Detonation, Arrows of Dispelling and Arrows of biting are great.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, with the Quiver of Plenty any bow has unlimited +1 (or +2 after the Quiver is upgraded) arrows.

15. shadow_thief Guest

Actually, I noticed that my thief always has to move closer when she uses her short bow as to my ranger archer just shoots where she is. I think it depends if you want to stay away or closer...but I agree, short bows have better special abilities than the long bows have.

16. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The only real difference between shortbows and longbows is the distance at which you can fire at and hit a target.

Admittedly before ToB came out, I myself preferred the shortbows for the Gesen Bow and the Tuigan Bow because of the unlimited ammo and rapid rate of fire.

But now that we have ToB, I always choose the longbow for the added distance between myself and the enemy. As mentioned above, you can always get the unlimited +1 ammo quiver that can be upgraded to +2 arrows.

So, my choice is always LONGBOW.

-Immoral

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

so in answer to Raistlin Majere's question, we have decided if you want the range, go longbows - if you want the speed and special abilites go shortbows

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Boots of Speed on an shortbow user makes up for range problems. You waste no time getting in range and if need be can step back if someone is pursuing you and fire a few more arrows. Run back a few paces fire a few more. If they finally catch up then melee. Got to love the boots of speed ;)

19. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Frankly I don't know what I'd do without my beloved boots of speed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.