1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Longest Topic ever

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Dalveen, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    whats been the most posted in topic ever in the history of BoM, the random babbling posts are counted sepratley and not as one topic to make it fair ;)

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

The original quote game. It was also closed for reaching 500 posts, something as far as I know never happened with any other topic (besides the babbling posts, of course).

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I understand it, any topic that's about to exceed 500 posts threatens to crash the UBB. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember a few comments to that effect).

In that regard, a few have met that same threshold. Most recently, I believe a new "Which Book are you currently reading" thread was started for that very reason.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Hah! The quote game was pathetic, compared with the might of the One Word Story.

Edit: Bam!

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The one words story - over 20 pages. I believe that is the longest one I have seen.

[EDIT] damn... beaten to it. [/EDIT]

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I beg to differ (don't mind this to much btw, shameless pride this is) what about "which book are you reading right now?" which was just recently closed because reaching 500.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The One Word Story will be as long as a single thread at the BoM will ever be, it even had to close itself/crash/otherwise die under the weight of the posts :shake:

8. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How many posts was it actually? And why would threads greater than 500 post threaten to crash the boards? I have never heard of that before.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The "One Word Story" Story thread got up to 957 posts over 28 pages.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] UBB.classic is a flat-file based board which puts a significantly larger load on the server than any of the php boards which are the norm today. With every post or edit added to a thread 20 pages long, the whole thread has to be rebuilt from scratch. It probably wouldn't amount to more than a slight slowdown on the server we're on now, but the recommended limit is at 500 posts, so we're sticking to that. The One Word Story started spawning various errors in Whatnots back then (so it had to be closed), but that was on a different server and a much older version of UBB. As a precaution, however, all the threads since then have been capped at around 500 posts.

11. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Is that the reason that every time since then that someone has tried to ressurect the One Word Story, Tal smited it immediately?

12. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Nah, he just enjoys all the smiting.

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hang on , are we talking longest in regards to numbers of posts or in regards to length of time the topic was active?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We banned the One Word Stories because they tended to get way too long way too fast, because people only used them to raise their post counts, and because all of them were too inane even for Whatnots. Random Babbling was created to supplement for the "loss".

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

An idea would be to combine Random Babbling with the OWS. After your babble, post a word. Babble first, word later - perfect arrangement :grin:

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

nah, when i started the one word story, i wasnt expecting it to get get as spam filled and stupid as it did, which is one reason i half-abandonded posting on it, i think it has one or two real sentences in it somewhere though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.