1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looks like NWN is not going to work

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by BigGreenPriest, Dec 2, 2003.

1. BigGreenPriest Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

On my Dell 8200, w/ XP, P4 mobile at 1.6mhz, 512 ram, 32 meg geforce card, it is pokey. I try to use inventory and the delay is unusable. And the load time for the first area--I swear, it's been years since I've had to leave the room while an area loaded--probably Wing Commander 4 or something like that.

I'm going back in and strip everything down, including sound, and see if it runs. If not, suggestions are appreciated.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Long initial loading times can't be helped. As for gameplay, a better graphic card would help.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... I have a P4 1.8GHz and load times are just a few seconds... And the game is very smooth, but I have a better graphics card.

4. BigGreenPriest Gems: 6/31

Thanks for your comments. I can feel the video card lust kicking in right on time.

I stripped everything down to almost nothing and the inventory is still unmanagable, the first store is impossible to navigate.

And the load times...what is it doing, defraging my hard drive? Did I forget to uncheck that option?

I'll check on new card prices for my laptop. But I'm not sure my money wouldn't be better spent on a platform. I'm tired of upgrading a perfectly good machine (that I do my business on) on such issues just to screw up the delicate driver balance.

5. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I use a G4 500 mhz and it's fine. Gotta be the graphics card. Until I bought an ATI Radeon 8500 I couldn't even play everquest on it very well.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Try uninstalling, defragging your hard drive, and reinstalling. Most big games are pretty sensitive to hard drive fragmentation.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I can't blame the Graphics card. I've had the game running smoothly on a P3 450 w/ 32MB TNT2 (a lot less than yours) just fine. Turn down some of the graphics options in the settings monitor. Maybe defragging your HD or doing a full install will help.

You'll always have massive lag when doing multiplay, there's nothing you can do about that.

8. monkey Gems: 6/31

I used to run NWN on Athlon 800 with 32mb Geforce2 MX and it went smoothly at 1024x768 32bit except for the occasional minor slow down in big battles. Details do need to be turned off though. Any modern graphics card that you can buy now should be able to handle anything that NWN throws at it. I couldnt believe how good NWN looked when I got my GF4 4200.

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Try killing DirectDraw, Direct3D (via dxdiag from the run line) and hardware acceleration (under display properties / settings / performance).

10. BigGreenPriest Gems: 6/31

Well, I uninstalled NWN for the last time this morning.

After doing everything everyone has suggested, including Bombur, deleting my linux partition and giving myself 8 more gigs of room (I thought my swap file might need more room to breath), the game simply chokes in the city center. Inventory is the main problem, but dialogue is terminally slow, too.

I saw some improvement as I made changes, but never enough to make it enjoyable. And the load times! Any game that makes me wait 1-2 minutes to move from area to area, and when you use auto-saves, that means you are loading one area, then unloading it, then moving into a new area, which you auto-save moving into--it was taking 5 freaking minutes to move from one major area to the next!

Perhaps God is trying to teach me either patience or to stop wasting my time playing games. One way or the other, He won.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.